Need a little advice.....

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Rocky and I sorta/kinda have a dissagreement over his medicines, I'm sure it doesn't taste very good, but he woofs everything down except any type of pills. The other day, I had to give him 4 bayer size aspirin pills for the Tape worms, because of his weight, They gave me (4) well every time I eat, he's always laying right by my feet in observance of the 2 second rule, anything hits the floor, 2 seconds later you'll never find it.... So anyway, I use cheese this time, cheese slices to be exact, and i break a slice in half, tuck his pill in it, and after having his full undivided attention, he woofs it down, and just about the time I'm happy to have gotten the one down, Rocky does this amazing thing, he puts his upper and lower lips together as if he was going to whistle a tune, and literally SPITS the pill about 3 feet away from him, as if to tell me, go find it !! I went through several pieces of cheese, getting this stink eye look from Rocky, and him spitting the pills at me, Finally I get enough of this treatment, and in a last ditch effort, I drop the 4 pills at the back of his toungue, in a full battle to hold him still, get the pills in there, then stroke his throat, all the while telling him how much better he is going to feel, In the end, about 15 minutes later, he walks up to me, looks at me, then barfs the pills back out in liquid form!! Now 4 of these pills are about $40.00 Bucks, It's not the money to me as much as letting him win, He's not real crazy about peanut butter, he's a very picky eater, so sprinkling this pill dust over his food is a hit and miss, I would figure half of it would be in the bottom of his stainless steel bowl. There has to be a better way, other than surgically implanting them into Rocky, I'm at a loss!! and even though he woofs his food down, HE WILL FIND THOSE PILLS AND GIVE YOU THE STINK EYE !! How do y'all do this..... I've never delt with a kid this particular before!!

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
lol...that is too funny ( sorry for laughing ) not sure what to tell you...forde doesn't like taking pills....but does....when i make his food , i put the dollop of yogurt on top...stick his pills in the yogurt and it's all history...i have at times even stuck them in peanut butter..seems like Rocky is a bit more harder to fool....i do know they make these things at the pet store called pill pockets, by greenies....they make them for pills and capsules....not sure they will work....but worth a try. good luck :)

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I've tried Yogurt, That's a mess to clean up, he seems to get the Yoga part, but sends me on hands and knees looking for the pill, Very distinct noise he makes when spitting, Not only was he a clown in his former life, he must have chewed tobacco.... I'm convinced !!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We started using peanut butter (low sugar) and have found that the added treat of watching Mabel try to lick it off the roof of her mouth is well worth the effort!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I think if it was that difficult I'd try liver sausage (braunschweiger) or something that's meat covering the pills. Perhaps it would help block the scent of the medicine better.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Liverwurst, peanut butter or cheese sticks (not slices) work here. Liverwurst is the favorite this week.

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
PETsMART has these things called pill pockets, they work like a charm! I don't even use a whole one, they're very pliable so I just take a big enough piece to mold around the pill. They're meant for capsules, they have an opening at the top and you drop the pill in and pinch it closed and it must taste like an awesome treat because they can't eat them fast enough!

rksuski

Jul 2, 2012
Madison, Wi
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
We slice a banana, in about 1 inch circles and stick the pill in the middle of it....it that doesn't work try putting peanut butter w the banana maybe that will hide the smell....good luck!

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I think if it was that difficult I'd try liver sausage (braunschweiger) or something that's meat covering the pills. Perhaps it would help block the scent of the medicine better.
Great advice Laura, I did try a Peperoni once, and wrapped his medicine in it, but then a few minuites later he threw it back up, thought maybe the Peperoni was to much for his sensative tummy, but maybe a different meat as you suggested might work. thank You

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
PETsMART has these things called pill pockets, they work like a charm! I don't even use a whole one, they're very pliable so I just take a big enough piece to mold around the pill. They're meant for capsules, they have an opening at the top and you drop the pill in and pinch it closed and it must taste like an awesome treat because they can't eat them fast enough!
I seen those the other day, but then I felt like I was afraid to get them because of the ingredience, I feed Rocky a No Grain formula diet, and his tummy is so sensative, I was afraid, even his treats are Wildeness Duck No Grain Formula, and he just loves them

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
We slice a banana, in about 1 inch circles and stick the pill in the middle of it....it that doesn't work try putting peanut butter w the banana maybe that will hide the smell....good luck!
I havent tried any fruit yet, But its definitely an option, I know he doesn't like green beans, even frozen, he will spit those out like a toddler as well.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I think you're gonna need the BIG GUNS...ice cream! Finn's the same way and the only thing that worked was putting the pill in vanilla ice cream. It's easy b/c it just slides down his throat!

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Liverwurst, peanut butter or cheese sticks (not slices) work here. Liverwurst is the favorite this week.
Maybe the cheese sticks, like string cheese.... The liverworst or something like that might hide the scent of medication, somehow he looks at me like "Feed me, Feed me" I give him something with the pill in it, and he spits it out, gives me this stink eye, like "This ain't food".... then he gets to really evaluating everything after he finds just one.

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I think you're gonna need the BIG GUNS...ice cream! Finn's the same way and the only thing that worked was putting the pill in vanilla ice cream. It's easy b/c it just slides down his throat!
You know Henny, I haven't even thought about Ice Cream, I tried the yogurt, and man oh man does he make a mess spitting it out, but maybe vanilla Ice cream might work, I'm going to try the meat first, then if that doesn't work, I'm getting the ice cream out.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=8699]GoldenRod[/MENTION], it's worth a try. The "smooth" and "slippery"-ness of ice cream makes it all go down much easier than yogurt. Hope it works out!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.