Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Need a little advice.....

oh ive had this problem with sarah. sometimes she will take her pill in her canned food from my fingers and sometimes she wont. i find if she is hungry she is more likely to eat them in whatever i have them in than when she is full. i have also put them in canned food in with her other food and she eats them. now i have had her spit them out right in front of me at my feet so i know where your coming from there. the best thing ive used is peanut butter and she dont want to eat it either but if you put it in her mouth its so sticky that she has no choice but to swallow the pills and cant separate them to spit them back out. good luck

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    My Boeboe is the same, but she is in general very careful with what she eats and always sniffs it first just to be sure it's eatable. Unlike my other two who would eat anything you give them So it's a mission for me as well when a pill has to be given I can't under ANY circumstances let her suspect there is a pill in the treat, I have to prepare some smelly food that will cover the smell from the pill. After putting the pill in my hands have to be cleaned and cleaned again so she wont be suspicious. Also I give here a couple of pieces that doesn't contain a pill before I sneak the one with the pill in and RIGHT after she got the one with the pill I give another nice tasty treat so she'll swallow the pill fast to get the new piece, lol. They sure can make one crazy sometimes
    Petra, I'm starting to think Rocky is smarter than i'm giving him credit for being.... If I feed him out of his bowl, he gobbles his kibble up, But on the rare occaision I feed him from hand, he knows to check for the pill... But I cant stand it when he gives me the Stink Eye and spits the Pill 3 foot out of his mouth, and looks at me like I'm crazy for trying !! I mean he really has the inside track somehow that medicine is involved, gently chew and then spit it out for Dad.... and on rare occaision he woofs it down, then he throws up and then looks at me like Nice Try Dad !! That's what led to this question, I've got to get smarter at out whitting Rocky..... I can't stand him getting the best of me.... It's a challenge now !!!

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cowsmom View Post
    oh ive had this problem with sarah. sometimes she will take her pill in her canned food from my fingers and sometimes she wont. i find if she is hungry she is more likely to eat them in whatever i have them in than when she is full. i have also put them in canned food in with her other food and she eats them. now i have had her spit them out right in front of me at my feet so i know where your coming from there. the best thing ive used is peanut butter and she dont want to eat it either but if you put it in her mouth its so sticky that she has no choice but to swallow the pills and cant separate them to spit them back out. good luck
    Sandra, thats exactly the answer I needed, See Rocky isn't big on Peanut Butter either, but by sticking it to the roof of his mouth, He isn't able to spit that out, I was misunderstanding a while ago, I knew if I dipped my finger in peanut butter and held it out for Rocky, he would walk away from it, But inserting it in the roof of his mouth, and making him deal with it is Exactly what i need to do..... I've never seen a Pet, put his lips together like he was whistling a tune, and out shoots a pill before.... This furkid amazes me with his Antics...... I'll let you know how it goes later this morning !! THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Haha @GoldenRod good luck with the challenge it took me two years to figure out how to get my girl to eat her pills and she still outsmarts me sometimes They are definitely smarter than we think, and that works in their advantage, lol.
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Bea can eject green beans in the same way. Like a Gatling gun. Hee Hee.

Sargento Cheddar Mozzarella sticks work best for us. I've tried them all and these are what I go back to every time. They're soft enough to hide the pill in SUPER GOOD and they're obviously so delicious, there's no pill ejection! Just down the hatch!

Ice cream is another good way to go -- just messy.

Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Seven - RIP I love you
    Likes (Received)

Seven is on three pills right now. After reading yalls stories of pill taking horrors, I am so thankful that he loves peanut butter. I give him natural peanut butter that I give my kids. It doesn't have all those chemicals in it. He eats it right off the spoon and looks for more.

Real Name
    Ian Kennedy
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tebow
    Likes (Received)

I have to give my Tebow some antibiotics....I am hoping the Greenies will work.....or put it in a little soft food.
    IDK

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    Bea can eject green beans in the same way. Like a Gatling gun. Hee Hee.

Sargento Cheddar Mozzarella sticks work best for us. I've tried them all and these are what I go back to every time. They're soft enough to hide the pill in SUPER GOOD and they're obviously so delicious, there's no pill ejection! Just down the hatch!

Ice cream is another good way to go -- just messy.
    The first time I tried Yoghurt with Rocky was interesting, I had just got him, His tummy was all upset, one for being in a new home and Two for grieving his previous Parents, He wouldn't eat, So I tucked the tummy pills from my vet in yoghurt, I figured it would calm his tummy as well as hide the pills, My mistake was I was in my living room where he was playing, I have Royal Blue carpet as you've seen on the videos I've posted, and I kid you not, I've never seen anything like it, a spoonful in, 5 spoonfuls out, Foam, Yoghurt, pills, and he shook his big ole head, and gave me the biggest stink eye yet !! I had an upset Bully, a Messed Up Carpet, a dirty look from HELL !! and only accomplished more work for myself. My Vet has no mercy on me, He's good at giving me medicine for Rock, but everything is in pill form, and Rocky a'int going there…. I'm thinking paper plate and hammer, and dusting some can food, I mean Really…..This kid hates pills worse than I hate rectal exams…. Give me a Break !!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I'm sorry I'm no help here as my guys just swallow their pills when I place them in the back of their throat and then stroke their neck , they swallow them no problem. You got a lot of really good ideas above though, and ice cream seems like it would be a good and yummy way of hiding his pills. I'm sitting here totally laughing though as I picture him spitting out his pills. Too funny
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy-licious View Post
    crush the pill, add to yoghurt and honey. works like a charm.

now if you can tell me how to get drops into a bullies eye when he flat refuses to open them, i'd be eternally grateful
    This is what I was going to suggest as well. you can crush them by hand with a spoon or something or get a pill crusher they are really inexpensive and crush the pill into powder. Then you can mix with something you know they will like as you suggested yogurt and/or honey or peanut butter or even some ice cream. We have for our dogs this way. Also, and we do this at times too depending on the medication, just stick it in their mouth far back on the tongue and close their mouth and hold till they swallow.

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Well as we all so well know these bulldogs are so laid back and docile that you can do anything to them and they won't mind a bit. Yes you can shampoo, clean their faces, doctor their faces, trim their nails, and its all so easy with a bulldog because they are so laid back, calm and docile. Just amazing dog breed to have if you don't like a lot of fuss and commotion.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Update:
    Yesterday's benedryl went down lickity split inside big chunks of watermelon. First time I've tried that -- but I was out of cheese sticks. Maybe it's that it's so juicy, I don't think they have time to think about what's going on in their mouths.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads