Puppy without rabies shot around Tubby

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
An opportunity has presented itself where we may become parents to a new puppy. If all goes according to plan we would be bringing the dog home tomorrow night.
Some background info. The puppy is an 11 weeks old and does not have his rabies shot. The reason why we could potentially be welcoming this addition is his current parents are moving out of province and cannot bring him.
Tubby's vet is already closed for the night and they are closed on Sundays.

My only concern is without him having a rabies shot how big of a hazard does he pose to Tubby, myself and Tubby's dad?

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
An opportunity has presented itself where we may become parents to a new puppy. If all goes according to plan we would be bringing the dog home tomorrow night. Some background info. The puppy is an 11 weeks old and does not have his rabies shot. The reason why we could potentially be welcoming this addition is his current parents are moving out of province and cannot bring him. Tubby's vet is already closed for the night and they are closed on Sundays.My only concern is without him having a rabies shot how big of a hazard does he pose to Tubby, myself and Tubby's dad?
Hey Stephanie, Thats wonderful news..... Can't wait to hear more details, and see some pictures. When you say Providance, I'm thinking Providance Rhode Island, correct me if i'm wrong?! It's my understanding that a Rabies shot is much like you and I having a shot for chiken pox, someone please correct me if i'm misunderstanding, But for you to schedule a vet visit and get the puppy vaccinated should be no problem, I wouldn't put the visit off for long, because it's a case of exposure that causes the virus, and it can be caught from wild animal bites, say a squirell bite, wild dog, or wild cat bite, they are the carriers of this virus, and if the puppy is exposed to a bite from a wild animal, and lord only knows if it weren't for bad luck, some bully's wouldn't know what luck was, then the puppy could contract the illness. But if your talking about seeing your vet next week, and getting the puppy vaccinated, in my honest opinion, I'd take that chance, and just keep the puppy away from any other animals etc outside, Oh and by the way, rats and mice are notorious for carrying this disease, that said, be extra careful to keep your new baby safe, and you should be good! If i'm wrong, i'm sure someone will come along shortly and correct me, my knowledge with rabies is limited, but I think the whole thing here is to limit exposure.

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Hey Stephanie, Thats wonderful news..... Can't wait to hear more details, and see some pictures. When you say Providance, I'm thinking Providance Rhode Island, correct me if i'm wrong?! It's my understanding that a Rabies shot is much like you and I having a shot for chiken pox, someone please correct me if i'm misunderstanding, But for you to schedule a vet visit and get the puppy vaccinated should be no problem, I wouldn't put the visit off for long, because it's a case of exposure that causes the virus, and it can be caught from wild animal bites, say a squirell bite, wild dog, or wild cat bite, they are the carriers of this virus, and if the puppy is exposed to a bite from a wild animal, and lord only knows if it weren't for bad luck, some bully's wouldn't know what luck was, then the puppy could contract the illness. But if your talking about seeing your vet next week, and getting the puppy vaccinated, in my honest opinion, I'd take that chance, and just keep the puppy away from any other animals etc outside, Oh and by the way, rats and mice are notorious for carrying this disease, that said, be extra careful to keep your new baby safe, and you should be good! If i'm wrong, i'm sure someone will come along shortly and correct me, my knowledge with rabies is limited, but I think the whole thing here is to limit exposure.

Dave, I should have made myself more clear. We live in Canada so provinces for us are what states are to you. Lol I was thinking along the same lines as long as the puppy does not come in to contact with any other dogs or wild life we should be fine. Tubby is fully vaccinated so I don't worry about Tubby passing anything on aside from stubbornness

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree. This is perfect advice. Your puppy would have to be bitten by a wild animal or other animal that was carrying the rabies virus in order for him to get the rabies virus, so you and your family would be safe until he got his shot. Plus he's not quite old enough to get his vaccine yet.

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
So I woke up this morning to the WORST news ever! The puppy's grand parents decided to keep him in the family. I am so heart broken I was really looking forward to making Tubby a big brother but if its not meant to be then it wasn't meant to be. Thank you though for the support

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
So I woke up this morning to the WORST news ever! The puppy's grand parents decided to keep him in the family. I am so heart broken I was really looking forward to making Tubby a big brother but if its not meant to be then it wasn't meant to be. Thank you though for the support

Well that sucks! But in a way...it lets you know there IS room for a new member of the family...when YOU want to! :)

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
Disappointing, but there are tens of thousands of dogs (including many purebred puppies of all breeds) looking for a good home. So now that you have decided you could take on one more, its fun to look. I am always looking on pet finder for rescues that I could take (even though I know I really cant right now)...

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Well that sucks! But in a way...it lets you know there IS room for a new member of the family...when YOU want to! :)

I know but Tubby's dad is apprehensive about getting another bully just because of the health issues and money thats been spent on Tubbs. I'm trying to talk him into a Frenchie then work my way back up to an english

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I know but Tubby's dad is apprehensive about getting another bully just because of the health issues and money thats been spent on Tubbs. I'm trying to talk him into a Frenchie then work my way back up to an english

Ohhhh I meant any kind of buddy! The local humane society has tons of wonderful friends that truly need you...ohhhhh and Tubby..too! We always have at least one "pound puppy" in our family. :love:

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Ohhhh I meant any kind of buddy! The local humane society has tons of wonderful friends that truly need you...ohhhhh and Tubby..too! We always have at least one "pound puppy" in our family. :love:

I have become dog racist I only want bullies now lol I do keep my eye on the Home ward rescue here in Ontario might just surprise them both one day lol

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sorry the puppy didn't work out. I know how he feels about the $$ but no matter what they costs you cant put a price on how much love and happiness they bring to you and everyone else around. In my opinion the French are great but there's nothing, nothing in the world that compares to an English as I'm sure you know!!

:D

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.