Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You Know they have health problems right?

Wrinkle Wiper
    Real Name
    Rachael
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rambo
    Likes (Received)

Default You Know they have health problems right?

In a talk with someone about me getting a new dog and that new dog will be an EBD, the first thing they said to me was " You know they have terrible health problems and they don't live very long" with the turned up nose face.

Well I guess, I've heard this a few times, since my decision to go with this breed and frankly I got a little peeved. I know that there are people who don't do their research but I'm not that person. Even though, the breed is technically only supposed to live 8-10 years, I had a yorkie that was supposed to live upto 15 and he died at 3.5 from a rare neurological disorder that came out of nowhere. The average lifespan of a woman is like 75 and men in their 60s put people die sooner than that too.

As pet owners we all have an idea that we will most likely outlive our pets. The health problems of the EBD, I've noted them, but I could experience something with any breed of dog or even the run of the mill mutt I may pick up from a rescue. I just feel that somtimes, people should say wow, are you excited? instead of try to steer me away from my decision. Just a vent. I may be overreacting.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: You Know they have health problems right?

Hugs! I think we've all had that happen at one time or another.... I had a VET do it to me with my first English Bulldog and I shared the horror and my complete distaste of the experience with the world via YELP.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

" The average lifespan of a woman is like 75 and men in their 60s but people die sooner than that too."

Rachel, my husband died 9 months ago at 52...we had almost 28 years of sheer bliss
    and I have his 25 y/o son that looks just like his Dad.

I'd do it ALL over again and would have married him 2 months after meeting him (I made
    him wait 2 years...thought he was nuts) if I could have a do over.

My 1st adopted bully, Brutus, died 5 months later from having his teeth cleaned (after
    coming out from anesthesia), I'd adopted him almost 3 months before Stuart died. I'd
    still adopt him all over again...knowing the outcome.

Life is a crapshoot, NO ONE can know the future, ignore these fear spreading morons!

Many here have healthy bullies living to 12-13 years and more with nary a problem.

Life, long or short is for living, Honey, live it up and live it on YOUR terms. GOD bless!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=RachaelJ;348777]In a talk with someone about me getting a new dog and that new dog will be an EBD, the first thing they said to me was " You know they have terrible health problems and they don't live very long" with the turned up nose face.

Rachel, thought I'd let you know, I adopted ANOTHER bully, 2 months ago.

Cami is a 5 y/o retired breeder and a big girl @ 63 lbs, healthy but needs a spay.

I lost my Brutus to surgery complications but it won't stop me from doing this for
    Cami a month from now. It's dangerous not being spayed the older she gets not
    to mention, uncomfortable for her and a PITA for me.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    " The average lifespan of a woman is like 75 and men in their 60s but people die sooner than that too."

Rachel, my husband died 9 months ago at 52...we had almost 28 years of sheer bliss
    and I have his 25 y/o son that looks just like his Dad.

I'd do it ALL over again and would have married him 2 months after meeting him (I made
    him wait 2 years...thought he was nuts) if I could have a do over.

My 1st adopted bully, Brutus, died 5 months later from having his teeth cleaned (after
    coming out from anesthesia), I'd adopted him almost 3 months before Stuart died. I'd
    still adopt him all over again...knowing the outcome.

Life is a crapshoot, NO ONE can know the future, ignore these fear spreading morons!

Many here have healthy bullies living to 12-13 years and more with nary a problem.

Life, long or short is for living, Honey, live it up and live it on YOUR terms. GOD bless!

Very Well said Carol, and very well Understood !!

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RachaelJ View Post
    In a talk with someone about me getting a new dog and that new dog will be an EBD, the first thing they said to me was " You know they have terrible health problems and they don't live very long" with the turned up nose face.

Well I guess, I've heard this a few times, since my decision to go with this breed and frankly I got a little peeved. I know that there are people who don't do their research but I'm not that person. Even though, the breed is technically only supposed to live 8-10 years, I had a yorkie that was supposed to live upto 15 and he died at 3.5 from a rare neurological disorder that came out of nowhere. The average lifespan of a woman is like 75 and men in their 60s put people die sooner than that too.

As pet owners we all have an idea that we will most likely outlive our pets. The health problems of the EBD, I've noted them, but I could experience something with any breed of dog or even the run of the mill mutt I may pick up from a rescue. I just feel that somtimes, people should say wow, are you excited? instead of try to steer me away from my decision. Just a vent. I may be overreacting.
    Rachael, Their goal was to make you run from the English Bull Dog breed…….So how did that work out for them??

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RachaelJ View Post

Every time I took Abby to a doctor they all said the same thing. "She shouldn't be here right now". Yet there she was, spunky and spiteful and proving them all wrong. I have a 17 year old dog laying at my feet right now. From the looks of her, she will live forever. We aren't born with expiration dates. Babies die. Puppies die. Parent't outlive their children. Grandparents outlive their grandchildren. If we based our decisions on when death would come the world would be an empty, lonely place. No one would ever fall in love and people would stop having children because "what if" they get sick and die.

Follow your heart Rachel and don't you EVER let anyone put the fear of death in you. When it comes it comes. We can't stop it, we can't hide from it. Open your heart and love like there is no tomorrow because there might not be one. But I think if we live our days like it's our last we won't have any regrets when that last day does finally arrive.

And the people who try to talk you out of it? God gave you a middle finger for a reason

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Amen. I totally agree. Wise words as always my friend
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Lol. Totally agree
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Wrinkle Wiper
    Real Name
    Rachael
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rambo
    Likes (Received)

@GoldenRod She didn't deter me.
    @Twice I like your saying God gave me a middle finger for a reason. LOL
    @Texas Carol I think you've hit it on the head. Thanks for those words.

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yup those type of people are everywhere, and once you get your bully, people will still feel the need to tell you how "sick" they are. When I adopted Princess last January I knew very well what I was getting myself into; adopting an almost 10 year old bully, people thought we were crazy! Most people praised us for adopting a senior, but there were still those handful of people that felt the need to remind me that their life span is young and they have health problems. I just learned to smile and ignore!
    Princess, Diva, and Gio <3

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member cbh142's Avatar
    Real Name
    Colleen
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Geno
    Likes (Received)

Those people are jealous because you are getting the best dog ever made!
    RIP Fonzi- Mommy and Daddy miss you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads