You Know they have health problems right?

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
In a talk with someone about me getting a new dog and that new dog will be an EBD, the first thing they said to me was " You know they have terrible health problems and they don't live very long" with the turned up nose face.

Well I guess, I've heard this a few times, since my decision to go with this breed and frankly I got a little peeved. I know that there are people who don't do their research but I'm not that person. Even though, the breed is technically only supposed to live 8-10 years, I had a yorkie that was supposed to live upto 15 and he died at 3.5 from a rare neurological disorder that came out of nowhere. The average lifespan of a woman is like 75 and men in their 60s put people die sooner than that too.

As pet owners we all have an idea that we will most likely outlive our pets. The health problems of the EBD, I've noted them, but I could experience something with any breed of dog or even the run of the mill mutt I may pick up from a rescue. I just feel that somtimes, people should say wow, are you excited? instead of try to steer me away from my decision. Just a vent. I may be overreacting. :cursing:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
:buddies: Hugs! I think we've all had that happen at one time or another.... I had a VET do it to me with my first English Bulldog and I shared the horror and my complete distaste of the experience with the world via YELP. :D

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
" The average lifespan of a woman is like 75 and men in their 60s but people die sooner than that too."

Rachel, my husband died 9 months ago at 52...we had almost 28 years of sheer bliss
and I have his 25 y/o son that looks just like his Dad.

I'd do it ALL over again and would have married him 2 months after meeting him (I made
him wait 2 years...thought he was nuts) if I could have a do over.

My 1st adopted bully, Brutus, died 5 months later from having his teeth cleaned (after
coming out from anesthesia), I'd adopted him almost 3 months before Stuart died. I'd
still adopt him all over again...knowing the outcome.

Life is a crapshoot, NO ONE can know the future, ignore these fear spreading morons!

Many here have healthy bullies living to 12-13 years and more with nary a problem.

Life, long or short is for living, Honey, live it up and live it on YOUR terms. GOD bless!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
In a talk with someone about me getting a new dog and that new dog will be an EBD, the first thing they said to me was " You know they have terrible health problems and they don't live very long" with the turned up nose face.

Rachel, thought I'd let you know, I adopted ANOTHER bully, 2 months ago.

Cami is a 5 y/o retired breeder and a big girl @ 63 lbs, healthy but needs a spay.

I lost my Brutus to surgery complications but it won't stop me from doing this for
Cami a month from now. It's dangerous not being spayed the older she gets not
to mention, uncomfortable for her and a PITA for me.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
" The average lifespan of a woman is like 75 and men in their 60s but people die sooner than that too."

Rachel, my husband died 9 months ago at 52...we had almost 28 years of sheer bliss
and I have his 25 y/o son that looks just like his Dad.

I'd do it ALL over again and would have married him 2 months after meeting him (I made
him wait 2 years...thought he was nuts) if I could have a do over.

My 1st adopted bully, Brutus, died 5 months later from having his teeth cleaned (after
coming out from anesthesia), I'd adopted him almost 3 months before Stuart died. I'd
still adopt him all over again...knowing the outcome.

Life is a crapshoot, NO ONE can know the future, ignore these fear spreading morons!

Many here have healthy bullies living to 12-13 years and more with nary a problem.

Life, long or short is for living, Honey, live it up and live it on YOUR terms. GOD bless!

Very Well said Carol, and very well Understood !!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

Well I guess, I've heard this a few times, since my decision to go with this breed and frankly I got a little peeved. I know that there are people who don't do their research but I'm not that person. Even though, the breed is technically only supposed to live 8-10 years, I had a yorkie that was supposed to live upto 15 and he died at 3.5 from a rare neurological disorder that came out of nowhere. The average lifespan of a woman is like 75 and men in their 60s put people die sooner than that too.

As pet owners we all have an idea that we will most likely outlive our pets. The health problems of the EBD, I've noted them, but I could experience something with any breed of dog or even the run of the mill mutt I may pick up from a rescue. I just feel that somtimes, people should say wow, are you excited? instead of try to steer me away from my decision. Just a vent. I may be overreacting. :cursing:

Rachael, Their goal was to make you run from the English Bull Dog breed…….So how did that work out for them??

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis

Every time I took Abby to a doctor they all said the same thing. "She shouldn't be here right now". Yet there she was, spunky and spiteful and proving them all wrong. I have a 17 year old dog laying at my feet right now. From the looks of her, she will live forever. We aren't born with expiration dates. Babies die. Puppies die. Parent't outlive their children. Grandparents outlive their grandchildren. If we based our decisions on when death would come the world would be an empty, lonely place. No one would ever fall in love and people would stop having children because "what if" they get sick and die.

Follow your heart Rachel and don't you EVER let anyone put the fear of death in you. When it comes it comes. We can't stop it, we can't hide from it. Open your heart and love like there is no tomorrow because there might not be one. But I think if we live our days like it's our last we won't have any regrets when that last day does finally arrive.

And the people who try to talk you out of it? God gave you a middle finger for a reason :smoochwink:

OP
R

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
[MENTION=8699]GoldenRod[/MENTION] She didn't deter me.
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] I like your saying God gave me a middle finger for a reason. LOL
[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] I think you've hit it on the head. Thanks for those words.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Yup those type of people are everywhere, and once you get your bully, people will still feel the need to tell you how "sick" they are. When I adopted Princess last January I knew very well what I was getting myself into; adopting an almost 10 year old bully, people thought we were crazy! Most people praised us for adopting a senior, but there were still those handful of people that felt the need to remind me that their life span is young and they have health problems. I just learned to smile and ignore! :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
my thing is if you know what your getting into and obviously you do as you have researched the breed and all and you still want one then go for it. ive had people look at me like that over the years and say things like that but i say to them "i wouldnt trade her for the world". ive had a very hard time with sarah and have been through alot with her and there were times i thought "ill never have another bully" but then there are the days when its all good and she is ok and making me laugh harder than i thought possible and just filling me with a love i never knew and its all worth it to me. i guess you just gotta take people with a grain of salt sometimes because unless you have had a bully you just dont "get it"

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.