Summer temperatures

cbh142

Aug 4, 2012
Irwin, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Geno
Geno is my first EB and he is 3. We have been keeping him out of hot temperatures for the past three summers. I hear its bad for their breathing. Is it more a humidity thing than temperature? How do you know when its too hot to keep them out for awhile? We got him a baby pool, will that help him stay cool?

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
According to my vet, any temp above 80 is a red flag for bullies, and high humidity makes it worse. That said, she has me gauge Bogey's tolerance by his panting. If he is heavily panting, that is my signal to cool him down, either in a pool/lake etc, or get him in AC. We are in Ct right niow- the temp Saturday was 95 with 81% humidity. We took Bogey to a lake, and he swam and played in the water for 2 hours- not even as much as a pant! We will be heading home tonFlorida for his first summer there, and I do suspect he will be spending a lot of time in the AC, but I have every intention of getting him outdoors every day. Also, always keep a bottle of lemon juice and a syringe handy in the event your bully overheats and starts producing phlegm- their airway can close off- squirt the lemon juice( 50/50 mix with water) towards the back of the throat to break up the mucus and open the airway. Lots of cool water play, early or late in the day should be fine. Of course, every bully's tolerance is different. You'll have to judge that! Have fun!!!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh sorry no ones answered you yet!

I would say humidity plays a big factor as it can change how the temp actually feels. (I wish I can explain it in more technical terms. Lol.)

From experience, it really varies on bully to bully on what they can handle. I know one of my guys can run for a while in, say 18 deg celcius weather, while the other I would need to constantly watch if he's comfortable, even if he's just sitting down and not moving much.

The pool does make a diff, but I wouldn't rely on it completely as these guys can struggle without any warning at all.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2 :D

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I am located in Arizona and yesterday was over 100; it is just flat hot out and Amber won't go out the door in those temperatures. They were out for a few minutes with us yesterday morning but by 830am it was already too hot for them and they were running back to the door to get inside. Amber loves to be outside but not in the heat at all. we don't have humidity, just straight heat but the A/C is always on for them inside so my bullies are usually at 73 degrees and full of energy. Outside they sit down instantly. To me, if I am hot then they are too. lol

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Humidity definitely changes things! These past few days have been horrible here in New England! We only let Winston play outside early in the morning or late at night usually but with the way the temps have been the past few days its been out to go potty and right back in. He has been staying in the AC & playing. We don't have central air so if he wanted to come out of his room he would lay in front of the fan with his kool collar on! All I know is he is miserable in this heat (he is def a winter dog), supposed to break tomorrow thank goodness!!

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
Dually handles the heat quite well. We also have a pool in the yard for him and he makes great use of it. Even though he does well in the heat and humidity I still keep a very close eye on him and if he is panting heavily, I force him to go inside. Like everyone else said, every bully is different so you have to be the judge.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Watch the breathing ... as soon as they start panting it is too much. There can even be days when you do not want them out any longer than they need to be to do there business... heat stroke comes on quick and it is not worth the chance

OP
cbh142

cbh142

Aug 4, 2012
Irwin, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Geno
thanks for all of the replies! We have been going on the better safe than sorry idea. He just doesnt like being alone and I hate leaving him inside when we are out in the pool or whatever. He probably doesnt care, im just a worried mommy. I will watch his breathing and the lemon juice thing was a great tip!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I've been very careful with Chumley because it seems to come on so suddenly. last spring it was a warm but not hot or humid in my opinion at all. After running around in the yard for 10 minutes he began wheezing and panting..it sounded like there was a whistle in his throat and it scared the heck out of me...I called the bulldog rescue and they said put him in a tub of cool water immediately. I did it and around 30 minutes later the whistling stopped..I've heard horror stories about bullies and the heat and it wasn't even a day I would be worried about him overheating..I learned a lesson that day.

OP
cbh142

cbh142

Aug 4, 2012
Irwin, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Geno
Thanks, great advice, I really appreciate it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.