dozersmama

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Ok I have talked to bully rescue in my area and the y will not take him. He cannot stay here I love him but I must look out for my children period. I have tried to fix him. I was not afraid of him until he went after me with no warning. My issue isn't that he went after me it's the not having warning signals and nit stopping for anything. This is just downright neglect if my children are hurt. I am trying to figure something out and I appreciate all the advice but I don't have time to wait 2-3 weeks to see if other meds may work. I cannot conceivably rehome him and put some one else at the risk . I don't like this I don't want this and I certainly didn't create this but now I must be the responsible one and deal with this logically and by doing what is in the best interest of every one involved regardless of my personal feelings. If anyone knows of a placement
For him please let me know ASAP

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
@Dozermommy I appreciate your ability to even stick it out with a trainer and sedatives. It takes time and a lot of effort to work with a dog that has been raised up for fighting. No matter the breed of dog, any dog exposed to that lifestyle can will not show the traits of that said breed. Being that she has kids and the dog has already left her bloody, this clearly isn't the home for her.

I would love to be patient in this instance but if I were in this position, I think my resources towards finding him a better situation would be just that. Sorry to hear this. I wish there was more. Medical issues aside, she has a family to look out for and if she's scared herself working with the dog wouldn't be good for the animal or her.

Very well said and I agree...a dog raised in that prior environment is not merely an abused/neglected
dog but much more problematic. Some of these dogs can't be rehabilitated no matter how hard you want
them to be...what Cesar Milan calls 'red zone dogs'...dangerous & unpredictable.

I so hope the General can be but you & your family come FIRST and must be safe.

Can your trainer take him or know of skilled professionals that could?

I'm so very saddened by this and feel terrible for what you went thru today!

My prayers are with you, your family & the General.
:cry:

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I am currently taking to someone I *may* attempt to give him a try with. He is an ex military with no children or other dogs. He has tons of large dog experience and us aware of Abram's whole deal. In reflecting on this I have a few thoughts. While Abram was very bad today I do not believe he intended to hurt me because I would be q lot worse off than I am if that's what he truly wanted. I think he has a problem with over excitement and wonder if a much less stimulating environment plus meds and of course a thyroid check help him work through this . Maybe as he gets older it could get better. I don't know it is a lot to consider
Any thoughts?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I am currently taking to someone I *may* attempt to give him a try with. He is an ex military with no children or other dogs. He has tons of large dog experience and us aware of Abram's whole deal. In reflecting on this I have a few thoughts. While Abram was very bad today I do not believe he intended to hurt me because I would be q lot worse off than I am if that's what he truly wanted. I think he has a problem with over excitement and wonder if a much less stimulating environment plus meds and of course a thyroid check help him work through this . Maybe as he gets older it could get better. I don't know it is a lot to consider
Any thoughts?

Oh how I'm going to pray and cross fingers, toes & butt cheeks that this will happen.
From all your posts and what you described happened today, I believe, as you do, it
is an over stimulation/over excitement and prior toxic environment and NOT that the
General is vicious.

My heart is still broken over what happened to sweet Aldo (RIP beloved)...a tragedy!

I so commend you on doing your best to rehabilitate him and now trying to find the
environment in which he can be safe as well as the person owning him...Thank You!:havemyheart:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Any thoughts?

This is wonderful news. I hope this person agrees to take him. We have a similar bully in rescue now. We are lucky to have 2 separate trainers who work with the rescue. One of them has been working with him and he is now finally adoptable to the right people!!

If this doesn't work out speak to your trainer. I am sure they will know another trainer who works with bad cases such as this and who would be willing to take him. If your trainer doesn't then start to call around other trainers. Also call the rescue back and see if they have any contacts they could give you.

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I don't have any advice on this, but I just wanted to say I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. :pray: I am hoping everything works out for the best!

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Poor General. How anybody can train any breed of dog let alone a bully to fight is absolutely disgusting and it breaks my heart. I commend you [MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] for trying so hard and trying to find The General a good home! What a wonderful person you are to have come into his life. I am sorry that you have had to suffer. You and The General are in our prayers and thoughts. Tubby sends you lots of wet sloppry bully kisses and lots of butt wiggles

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
I think you are absolutely right about the excitement level. Neither of my dogs is aggressive and I have nothing like what you have going on, but one of my bullies (as sweet as she normally is), when she gets excited loses her mind. She jumps up high and starts 'biting' and getting out of control. Fortuneatley for us (and her) she can be calmed down fairly quickly. She also loses her mind if there is any fast movement (people running) high frequency noice (vaccuum/blender)... Hopefully the man with no kids, no dogs and experience will be the answer to save his life.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Aww hon I am sorry to see this. I think it would be in your best interest as well as that of your children to see if you can rehome him with the guy you know. Even though he doesn't mean to get the way he does it is very dangerous being as you have young children in the house. Really sorry you have to go through this. Praying for a situation that will work for you all.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I spent 2 hours on the phone with him today. I am really starting to get hopefull. He has a fellow army buddy living close by that trains search and rescue and mp dogs. I think this would be amazing for Abram as from what I know they are used to working with high energy dogs. We are meeting tomorrow. I want to make sure Abram is no longer under the effects of the sedative so he can see what Abram is like and how truly sweet he is. But that said he is very active aware of all of the issues and that at some point He may be bitten. He is ok with this. I hate to sound rude but I am still concerned about my liability in rehoming him. If I rehome him and something were to happen how does that affect me? Can I be sued oe charged with anything?

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I spent 2 hours on the phone with him today. I am really starting to get hopefull. He has a fellow army buddy living close by that trains search and rescue and mp dogs. I think this would be amazing for Abram as from what I know they are used to working with high energy dogs. We are meeting tomorrow. I want to make sure Abram is no longer under the effects of the sedative so he can see what Abram is like and how truly sweet he is. But that said he is very active aware of all of the issues and that at some point He may be bitten. He is ok with this. I hate to sound rude but I am still concerned about my liability in rehoming him. If I rehome him and something were to happen how does that affect me? Can I be sued oe charged with anything?

I don't forsee any liability issues are you are being honest and open in regards to his state of mind and needing a home without children that would be able to concentrate on his needs. I pray that it works out. The people that rehomed him to you should be beaten within an inch of their lousy lives being as they 1) baisically abused him and 2) rehomed him to you without disclosing any issues knowing you had children.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=4054]Bizzymammabee[/MENTION] thanks I think I just needed to hear that. A former client of mine is an attorney and he recommendeds getting a release signed.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@Bizzymammabee thanks I think I just needed to hear that. A former client of mine is an attorney and he recommendeds getting a release signed.

You can definitely draw up something simple stating that you have disclosed all behavioral issues and he is accepting the dog knowingly and will not hold you liable for any damages that may arise during his ownership of the dog. Ask him if he can draw up a simple form for you that would cover your bases. I would ask an atty here to do it for you but they aren't licensed to practice in your state.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I was going to suggest having something in writing just in case he tries to sue you later. Keeping my fingers crossed it works out for the General.

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. I hope everything turns out ok. I am glad to hear you are trying to find him a good home. My sister went through something similar with her first Bull terrier. He would attack her over anything and she was afraid to have him around my son since we lived together. She did find a great home for him though. If you ever need anyone to talk to, feel free to send me a personal message or what not.
Good luck. I hope everything turns out all ok. ((((((HUGS)))))))

Most Reactions