The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: dog fighting! ! Finally got to the bottom of Abram's issue

I would recommend as others have and go to the vet for some testing. There are some options for sedatives that will make life bareable. Who is the one that does most of the work with him? Whoever that is will have to build trust from the ground up and it will take some time; not a week or two but rehabilitation takes months and a great deal of time. Boundaries have to be formed in order for him to know acceptable and unacceptable behavior for starters, and while I know this sounds rough but whoever is working with him cannot show signs of fear. Do you have some sedate type music you can play for background noise? There is something to be said about music taming the beast (not that I am calling him a beast but I think the saying goes something like that). Whenever I had a rescue that was aggressive they remained contained in a pen, fed by hand always and never out of a bowl to gain trust, and I had really calming music always in the background. Also, using the same tone of voice to work with them helps; its hard to do especially when they lounge at you but it works. Some protective gloves, long lose pants and shirts and close toed shoes work great when working with an aggressive one. Once they realize they can not intimidate an individual that is half the battle......but......there is no telling how long the battle is, each one is different. I have never had an aggressive bully; everything I worked with was large size but I have no doubt the aggressive behavior is much the same. If you are unable to handle him maybe there is a professional close by in your location that could render some assistance. Like many of the others have said, get to the root and give him a chance, everyone of the ones I have worked with were worth every minute of the time spent and turned out to be wonderful companions. Prayers are with you and good luck to both of you.

Wrinkle Wiper
    Real Name
    Rachael
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rambo
    Likes (Received)

@Dozermommy I appreciate your ability to even stick it out with a trainer and sedatives. It takes time and a lot of effort to work with a dog that has been raised up for fighting. No matter the breed of dog, any dog exposed to that lifestyle can will not show the traits of that said breed. Being that she has kids and the dog has already left her bloody, this clearly isn't the home for her.

I would love to be patient in this instance but if I were in this position, I think my resources towards finding him a better situation would be just that. Sorry to hear this. I wish there was more. Medical issues aside, she has a family to look out for and if she's scared herself working with the dog wouldn't be good for the animal or her.

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

As to the dog fighters all I can say is damn them bastards. Those that fight dogs rank right up there with puppy mill owners and child molesters. Honestly I would have no problem liquidating and offing anyone from any one of those three groups of low life scourges of mankind

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

Ok I have talked to bully rescue in my area and the y will not take him. He cannot stay here I love him but I must look out for my children period. I have tried to fix him. I was not afraid of him until he went after me with no warning. My issue isn't that he went after me it's the not having warning signals and nit stopping for anything. This is just downright neglect if my children are hurt. I am trying to figure something out and I appreciate all the advice but I don't have time to wait 2-3 weeks to see if other meds may work. I cannot conceivably rehome him and put some one else at the risk . I don't like this I don't want this and I certainly didn't create this but now I must be the responsible one and deal with this logically and by doing what is in the best interest of every one involved regardless of my personal feelings. If anyone knows of a placement
    For him please let me know ASAP
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RachaelJ View Post
    @Dozermommy I appreciate your ability to even stick it out with a trainer and sedatives. It takes time and a lot of effort to work with a dog that has been raised up for fighting. No matter the breed of dog, any dog exposed to that lifestyle can will not show the traits of that said breed. Being that she has kids and the dog has already left her bloody, this clearly isn't the home for her.

I would love to be patient in this instance but if I were in this position, I think my resources towards finding him a better situation would be just that. Sorry to hear this. I wish there was more. Medical issues aside, she has a family to look out for and if she's scared herself working with the dog wouldn't be good for the animal or her.
    Very well said and I agree...a dog raised in that prior environment is not merely an abused/neglected
    dog but much more problematic. Some of these dogs can't be rehabilitated no matter how hard you want
    them to be...what Cesar Milan calls 'red zone dogs'...dangerous & unpredictable.

I so hope the General can be but you & your family come FIRST and must be safe.

Can your trainer take him or know of skilled professionals that could?

I'm so very saddened by this and feel terrible for what you went thru today!

My prayers are with you, your family & the General.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

I am currently taking to someone I *may* attempt to give him a try with. He is an ex military with no children or other dogs. He has tons of large dog experience and us aware of Abram's whole deal. In reflecting on this I have a few thoughts. While Abram was very bad today I do not believe he intended to hurt me because I would be q lot worse off than I am if that's what he truly wanted. I think he has a problem with over excitement and wonder if a much less stimulating environment plus meds and of course a thyroid check help him work through this . Maybe as he gets older it could get better. I don't know it is a lot to consider
    Any thoughts?
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dozersmama View Post
    I am currently taking to someone I *may* attempt to give him a try with. He is an ex military with no children or other dogs. He has tons of large dog experience and us aware of Abram's whole deal. In reflecting on this I have a few thoughts. While Abram was very bad today I do not believe he intended to hurt me because I would be q lot worse off than I am if that's what he truly wanted. I think he has a problem with over excitement and wonder if a much less stimulating environment plus meds and of course a thyroid check help him work through this . Maybe as he gets older it could get better. I don't know it is a lot to consider
    Any thoughts?
    Oh how I'm going to pray and cross fingers, toes & butt cheeks that this will happen.
    From all your posts and what you described happened today, I believe, as you do, it
    is an over stimulation/over excitement and prior toxic environment and NOT that the
    General is vicious.

My heart is still broken over what happened to sweet Aldo (RIP beloved)...a tragedy!

I so commend you on doing your best to rehabilitate him and now trying to find the
    environment in which he can be safe as well as the person owning him...Thank You!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dozersmama View Post
    Any thoughts?
    This is wonderful news. I hope this person agrees to take him. We have a similar bully in rescue now. We are lucky to have 2 separate trainers who work with the rescue. One of them has been working with him and he is now finally adoptable to the right people!!

If this doesn't work out speak to your trainer. I am sure they will know another trainer who works with bad cases such as this and who would be willing to take him. If your trainer doesn't then start to call around other trainers. Also call the rescue back and see if they have any contacts they could give you.

Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

I don't have any advice on this, but I just wanted to say I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I am hoping everything works out for the best!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubby
    Likes (Received)

Poor General. How anybody can train any breed of dog let alone a bully to fight is absolutely disgusting and it breaks my heart. I commend you @dozersmama for trying so hard and trying to find The General a good home! What a wonderful person you are to have come into his life. I am sorry that you have had to suffer. You and The General are in our prayers and thoughts. Tubby sends you lots of wet sloppry bully kisses and lots of butt wiggles

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gracie and Oliver
    Likes (Received)

I think you are absolutely right about the excitement level. Neither of my dogs is aggressive and I have nothing like what you have going on, but one of my bullies (as sweet as she normally is), when she gets excited loses her mind. She jumps up high and starts 'biting' and getting out of control. Fortuneatley for us (and her) she can be calmed down fairly quickly. She also loses her mind if there is any fast movement (people running) high frequency noice (vaccuum/blender)... Hopefully the man with no kids, no dogs and experience will be the answer to save his life.

Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

Aww hon I am sorry to see this. I think it would be in your best interest as well as that of your children to see if you can rehome him with the guy you know. Even though he doesn't mean to get the way he does it is very dangerous being as you have young children in the house. Really sorry you have to go through this. Praying for a situation that will work for you all.
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads