Adding another bully

sherden24

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gumbo
We have Gumbo who is almost 7. We have had her for 7 months. I am TOTALLY madly in love with this dog. She is really my baby. There is a girl online that I met that rescued her English bulldog from some neighbors. They were going to abandon her when they moved because they could not have a dog. She has had her for about a year. She is almost 5 years old. Small female spayed bulldog. Weighs about 37 pounds (as compared to my 52 pound baby). She has 4 other dogs and feels she can't care for this baby at this time. I can't imagine having 5 dogs but it's worse for the bulldog because she is such a people person. We live in the same town and she and I became friends on fb because we both have English Bulldogs for our profile pic. She asked me if we would be interested in taking her bulldog because she knows how well we care for ours. She and I chat a lot about our dogs on FB messenger. My heart says YES but I am just concerned about adding another dog into our family. NOT because of the dog but because of the expense. Gumbo had an UTI and was on expensive food for a month. I do home cooking and honestly, cooking for 1 dog or 2 is probably not that big but it will add up. We are planning to meet her this weekend but I don't want to rush into anything even though I KNOW I will want to take her home. Both of us want this to be good for both dogs. If they don't do well with each other then we can't take her. Anyway, I am just nervous. I want to but I want to make sure that I am a responsible adult and can provide well for both of them.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Make sure she shares her dog's whole medical history with you. Since you are in the same town, find out the name of her vet and have your vet get her records from hers. That way your vet and you can review those records so you can get an idea of what you may have to deal with. That should help ease your mind a bit. Also, ask her if she'll take the dog back if it's not working with the dog you already have and take her on a trial basis until your questions are resolved. Good luck.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
Definately contact her vet and see whats she has been dealing with and obviuosly take a good look at the dogs skin, coat, ears and eyes to see any issues that she may not be dealing with. With 5 dogs I doubt she is taking them to the vet too often. Some things that will cost you real $$ is eyes (entropian surgery), too tight problmematic tail (tail amputation), acl/ccl surgeries (look for limping). Even if she has any of these issues, it would be great to help the dog out but if you cannot afford it, the better thing would be to find a responsible bulldog rescue to take her on. As for the dogs... to make the introduction as good as possible, meet on neutral territory (not your home or hers) and do not allow the dogs to meet directly right away. Plan with your friend that you will take the dogs for a walk first (dogs on the outside humans on the inside so there is no direct contact). Once you do this pack walk thing for awhile the dogs will feel they are somewhat of a pack and both dogs will have some energy drained. If all goes well with that, allow them to interact (no tension on the leashes). This is the best way to do a controlled intro where both dogs should feel comfortable. Good luck, I hope it works out.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I bet [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] can give you some advice..personally, with a bit of preparation, I bet they would be fine and in a few months it will feel like she's been there forever!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh please tell me they weren't going to just abandon her as in leaving her behind at the house they're leaving? I will give you my advice later this evening. I just intregrated Sally (she's 7) into my pack of 3 and it was virtually flawless. Of course Sally's pretty calm though too. It hasn't even been three weeks yet it's like she's been there forever? My approch had always to do it on nuetral ground too until this last time with Sally. I took [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] 's advice and it worked. I'll post it up later (I'm on my lunch break right now and it's getting ready to end in a few).

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
NOT because of the dog but because of the expense. Gumbo had an UTI and was on expensive food for a month. I do home cooking and honestly, cooking for 1 dog or 2 is probably not that big but it will add up.

There are some pretty inexpensive ways to stretch the dollar in your home cooked meals. I can help you with that. Please don't let that be a deciding factor.

The introduction will go fine as long as you are calm and not stressed out :)

Oh please tell me they weren't going to just abandon her as in leaving her behind at the house they're leaving? I will give you my advice later this evening. I just intregrated Sally (she's 7) into my pack of 3 and it was virtually flawless. Of course Sally's pretty calm though too. It hasn't even been three weeks yet it's like she's been there forever? My approch had always to do it on nuetral ground too until this last time with Sally. I took @Twice 's advice and it worked. I'll post it up later (I'm on my lunch break right now and it's getting ready to end in a few).

That's what they did to Athena. They left her in the house and moved away :( What is wrong with people?!?!!?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.