Allergy season in the Northeast. How are your bullies doing?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I've noticed many threads about rashes, hives, and losing hair over the last month. Am wondering if many of the posters are in the Northeast?
It's terrible allergy season here and I'm thinking that it's not so much the food as the pollen right now.

My pup got hives on his hind legs last weekend after playing in the grass in Pennsylvania. Called my vet, she said it was allergies and called in a script for Temaril-P.
I haven't used it yet because it's a steroid and I'm not comfortable giving it to a dog this young. Have been treating it with a Benadryl ointment and baths. It's a little better.

So for all you in the Northeast, how are your bullies doing right now?

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I'm in the Southeast but if it gets as bad up in NY as it's been down here be prepared for a long tough season. Keep some benadryl pills on hand for Blue just in case. Remember the dose is 1 mg per pound or 1 25 mg pill per 25 pounds. Keep telling yourself that all those blossoms are pretty.

santinomom

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Santino
Yup, I'm in upstate NY and the pollen is becoming horrendous as we speak and I've used temaril p and keep it in hand also but use it ONLY when it gets to the point where Santino is really suffering. Right now the antihistamine hydroxizine twice a day is working ..... so far..... so I can totally relate:)

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I'm in Maine and the pollen is awful, Otis had pollen listed as an allergy on his testing but I haven't seen any real effects at the moment (knock on wood) just around his nose wrinkels they look a little sore, so we are cleaning and using desitin if needed.

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
I agree I am in michigan and this goofy weather is playing havoc with 2 of my bullies that are prone to allergies. I think I need to take stock in benadryl lol.

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
We are in PA and George takes 10mg of Cetieizine (generic Zyrtec) everyday. His allergies have bothered him since he was a little guy; the Zyrtec really helps! I'm on my smart phone and I can't go back to fix the spelling but it is cetirizine.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Raven's eyes and ears have been pretty itchy. I gave her a bath with Oatmeal shampoo and I have also been putting some pet hydrocortisone lotion on the spots. I know I can use the human stuff but I was ordering a ton of junk for her and decided to give this one a try. It seems to help when I put it on her. She has been so itchy that she scraped herself under her eye as well as on the side of her face and had a little scab. I have no idea which one of us is suffering the worst right now.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Here in Boston both Gio and Princess (and ME!!) have been suffering with allergies since the end of March! It's been a crazy spring! Lots of sneezing when they are outside and both of their wrinkles are a light red and they never have tear stains.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Its bad here in NW Pa Loulou has a runny nose and watery eyes, I give her benadryl that seems to help som. Sarge on the other hand isnt bothered. I always wipe their feet when they come out of the grass with Chlorhexidine for bacteria

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I don't have allergies, so this is all new to me.
Crazy how it affects our bullies. I feel so terrible for them.. :(
[MENTION=3584]Kristin[/MENTION] I haven't thought to try Zyrtec but I may since Benadryl isn't helping much.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bnaks is getting her butt kicked... pink face, wet folds and red eyes. Especially after a lawn is mowed..... benedryl twice a day and ACV wipes of the paws to keep the yeast away

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Finally we are getting a much needed shower here which always helps the pollen allergies and brings relief for a little while.

Abby&Jacks Mom

May 1, 2013
connecticut
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
abigail & jackson
Jackson was bit by something and now has hives onthe pinnas of both ears I had been treating with benadryl for a week with no effect so off to the vet we went. She gave me memotax drops and said to up the dose of benadryl to 2 tabs twice aday it has been 3 days . The ears are looking slightly improved, think it is going to be long summer
:eek:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.