Bulldog color???

Rainman

May 25, 2013
Monterey Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Higgins
I am new to this forum and wanted to see if someone could help. I received this picture of a puppy that is gray and blue eyes. Personally I have never seen this color of english bulldog. Plus the blues eyes makes me scratch my head. Currently looking for a new english bulldog. Do so love the color and the eyes.
Any help would be great
Thanks so much

Attachments

• IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 176
OP
R

Rainman

May 25, 2013
Monterey Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Higgins
Thanks for the info on this site. Hope someone can help solve this and point me where to find one.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Welcome and glad you joined us! He sure is a cute puppy but IMO anytime I see breeders who breed bulldogs for rare colors usually means they are breeding for looks (and $$$$$!) and not for health; I personally would stay clear of the rare colors because I'm sure there would just be more health issues down the road! But again, this is just my opinion. :)

SarahD

May 13, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gigi
I was offered a puppy from a "breeder" when we were looking for our bullie that he was calling a tri-color blue English bulldog--for the bargain basement price of $9000 (yes, thousand). He also included a lot of very troubling "sales points" in his sales pitch (including how profitable it would be for ME to breed the dog, without ever asking me a single question about our household or knowledge of the breed). I agree totally with mcraven2....it's really questionable. We found a breeder for our "regular" bullie that is amazing. Keep looking!!!

OP
R

Rainman

May 25, 2013
Monterey Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Higgins
My last bulldog his mother was english bulldog and his father was a Olde english bulldog. I had not health problems at all. I ran him like a gray hound and he loved it. He would even jump(ok try) like a jake russell ok only his front legs would get far off the ground. I miss his so much.
Thanks for the info

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My last bulldog his mother was english bulldog and his father was a Olde english bulldog. I had not health problems at all. I ran him like a gray hound and he loved it. He would even jump(ok try) like a jake russell ok only his front legs would get far off the ground. I miss his so much.
Thanks for the info

Sounds like you had a wonderful bully!

It's not the colors that are bad it's the health issues and ethics that the breeder comes from which are usually for all the wrong ones. I would steer clear of theses breeders or do your homework on them heavily first.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
He's a blue pup and over priced for even one of those unless both his parents are Grand Champions or something. Blue bulldogs often have even more health issues than standard color ones. I'd be very careful and do a whole lot of research on his lines and their health if I was truly interested.

If you're interested in Oldes or other or the EB blended breeds, PM me. I know a little about them and some breeders who are generally trustworthy.

Last edited:

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
Hi and welcome :)
I have to agree with the rest of the group all though they are cute I would do EXTENSIVE research on not only the breeder but the back ground pedigree of the dog.
And if you want to get into showing your dog they are not accepted in the AKC show ring and some are not even AKC registerable.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
You wrote new English bulldog, and stated that you once had an Olde English Bulldogge. Is that what this puppy is an OEB? The tri colors and blue or grey eyes are not that uncommon in OEB lines and the tricolors seem to be quite popular right now among a lot of OEB breeders, because lots of people want that color.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Our Amelia (we believe) was bred for her rare color, and sold at a premium because of it. She also has totally luxated hips (genetic deformity) and was scheduled to be put down when the original owners did not want to put the money into fixing her and the breeder replaced her with another puppy. Both the breeder and owner were fine with having her put down, but both were also fine with signing her over to us to save her.

Now I can only say we believe because we have no idea who the breeder was. And we can only relate what we were told by our Vet's office after they called us in to rescue her from that fate. Part of the signing over purposely omitted their name because they didn't want the "bad rep" of having produced a defective puppy.

Unfortunately when breeding for color over health that is what can happen. These same breeders charge exorbitant amounts for the rare colors. So it is a take your chances kind of gamble on what you may get. On the other hand, perhaps the puppy won't have any health defects.

Health can be a "crap shoot" with English Bulldogs, but you are decreasing your risk if you buy from a breeder who has done their research and at least tries to breed more for health than color, making sure both parents have been checked for any known genetic deformity.

Also it is my understanding that the rare colors are frowned upon if not entirely reasons for disqualification in the show ring so a puppy bred for color is unlikely to come from AKC champion bloodlines.

Are they cute? Definitely! Worth the extra money unscrupulous breeders charge? Only an individual's heart can answer that question.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'm with everyone else. If it's too good to be true - it is. Period. Besides a long list of references, I'd be googling my butt off on this breeder. A reputable breeder will welcome this kind of scrutiny.

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
I think that might be an mini English Bulldog because, they have really pretty.

FYI My daughter made this comment.:)

But I've seen a dog like this on a mini english bulldog website. Yes the color is pretty but isn't standard. I don't know much about the health of these EBDs but I would steer clear. The one website I saw selling these rare colors, I saw them asking $18000 for a puppy and promoted how their dogs were owned by many celebrities.

If you are looking for an EBD puppy start with the Bulldog Club of America's website for a breeder referral in your area. Do a few phone calls, reference checks, call a rescue in your area etc.? You might be better off in going this route.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I also wanted to add that it doesn't matter if a pup is rare color or not, it's the breeder behind the pup, no matter what color, size, or anything that you should be very careful about.

My point is normal colored bulldogs are bred very poorly too, many puppy mills, importers and scammers out there. Make sure you read the puppy buying tips article, and hopefully you will find a great puppy to share your life with.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.