Hard Question....(NOT REALLY) lol

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Would you make an elective decision, to better your career, better your pay, move homes strictly an elective decision meaning, you have a job, your gainfully employed, already have a home, just a decision to better yourself at the loss of your pet? (Meaning, you would have to get rid of your pet in following your career, bettering your pay, or in a move strictly on an elective basis) Or is your pet more important to you?

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Re: Hard Question….(NOT REALLY) lol

Absolutely not. They can keep their so called better job and pay, I much prefer my dog.
I'm 60 years old and still work full time humping it for two hours to work and back and ten hour work days.
And this is basically my second vocational career as an adult.
I have already experienced the vocational ladder climbing and ambition that goes with it with my previous career.
It's not what its cracked up to be but too many people don't know that yet. The carrot chasing and "here kitty kitty kitty" Always hoping to arrive somewhere but never really quite making it. You won't come to the end of your days and wished you had climbed another social or vocational ladder in my opinion. It is love and relationships that actually matter and our dogs are part of that. So I will keep my dog and they can have the pay raise

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

Absolutely not. They can keep their so called better job and pay, I much prefer my dog.
I'm 60 years old and still work full time humping it for two hours to work and back and ten hour work days.
I have already experienced the vocational ladder climbing and ambition that goes with it with my previous career.
It's not what its cracked up to be but too many people don't know that yet. The carrot chasing and "here kitty kitty kitty" Always hoping to arrive somewhere but never really quite making it. You won't come to the end of your days and wished you had climbed another social or vocational ladder in my opinion. It is love and relationships that actually matter and our dogs are part of that. So I will keep my dog and they can have the pay raise

You've definitely hit the nail on the head Tim, I like your way of thinking, and surely it come with experience to learn. I know we will never be able to stop the kicking the dogs out in the street, I know we will never stop the Rescue process, I just wish folks would consider more how their decisions effect their pets, rather than their pets clearly being an afterthought, then a stray……

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie

Agreed. Money ain't everything. A "career" is only a way to pay the bills unless you are one of the lucky few who is doing something you really love and want it to be the center of your world. Family and friends, both human and otherwise, should be way more important.

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

Agreed. Money ain't everything. A "career" is only a way to pay the bills unless you are one of the lucky few who is doing something you really love and want it to be the center of your world. Family and friends, both human and otherwise, should be way more important.

Like you, my Bully is all about priorities, and he was installed in priorities as soon as I committed to Rocky…. However I'm saddened by the number of pets who just go with the family flow, and are never really installed into the family but merely an afterthought, Guessing why I've asked these questions, so the folks who have not knowingly installed their pet into their family order, acknowledge it and insert them into priorities.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)

Never. Aubie is family, not just some pet or property. Money and success does not always buy happiness, but my Aubie makes me happy every day. No matter what kind of day I've had, I can walk in the door and see that wiggle butt and feel better. We have a routine--when I get home from work, I drop my purse and keys, then get on the floor and play with her right away. It's the best stress relief in the world. :yes:

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

Never. Aubie is family, not just some pet or property. Money and success does not always buy happiness, but my Aubie makes me happy every day. No matter what kind of day I've had, I can walk in the door and see that wiggle butt and feel better. We have a routine--when I get home from work, I drop my purse and keys, then get on the floor and play with her right away. It's the best stress relief in the world. :yes:

Awesome Krista…. I hope others feel the same way……. :2thumbs:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace

Agreed, unless your career/vocation is in the field of "following your bliss" as Joseph Campbell referred to it. Then its simply about making money to earn a living so to speak. In other words oftentimes a career is simply a job or work in which we do for pay what we would otherwise never consider doing for enjoyment. I make the most of my current vocation [job] but make no bones about it, its about the money that in our culture you can't get along without. " I'm here for the pay sir" You will not see me wearing the T-shirt that states " I love my job" You kidding? I have many more activities I would much rather be involved with that are in actuality of more importance. One of which is spending more time with my dogs. So no, better not at work ask me to choose because I wouldn't trade my dog for this whole kit and kaboodle

Last edited:

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo

I really like my job and career path I've been on. I love what I do, but I know that with more money comes more responsibility. So would I take a job that would take me away from the flexiability of doing MOM things and still being able to have live financially comfortable but I couldn't have a pet, couldn't be me. I feel like having a pet is part of who I am? Does that make any sense? Even though I have a human child, having a pet is included in my MOM things.

Abby&Jacks Mom

May 1, 2013
connecticut
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
abigail & jackson

I like my career but myfamily comes first and abigail and jackson are part of my family!:2thumbs:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington

My dogs are pretty much my life, so no career advancement or promotion or whatever will ever take precedence over them. Money can be made again, work will always be there, but my boys, these two souls who rely on me to care for them, are my top priority. That will never change for anything or anyone.:sunny:

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle

My goal in life is happiness. I never heard anyone on their death bed say "I wish I worked more hours."

Pickle = happiness,therefore, I don't need a career change at the cost of her.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

I agree with everyone here. I have been at my job for 15 years, and stepped back to 3 days a week, so I could take care of my Grandson, and enjoy life a little more. I also waited 10 years to get my EB babies, and they are definitely members of our family, just like my kids, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. There is more to life than money.

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

I really like my job and career path I've been on. I love what I do, but I know that with more money comes more responsibility. So would I take a job that would take me away from the flexiability of doing MOM things and still being able to have live financially comfortable but I couldn't have a pet, couldn't be me. I feel like having a pet is part of who I am? Does that make any sense? Even though I have a human child, having a pet is included in my MOM things.

Exactly right Rachael…. Money and Job is one thing, but it wouldn't take me away from my responsibilities to my human children or leave them out in the cold, and my fur kid is no different, Thats where I draw the line, Theres always time to move up and ahead, by my family obligations come first!! Great way to express your priorities Rachael

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster

I am retired so the job thing isn't really an issue, but I would NEVER volunteer to live someplace where I couldn't have my dogs with me. My husband and I have gone so far as to get long term care insurance so if one of us needs expensive care, the other one won't end up having to liquidate everything to pay for it! Our dogs are important family members!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.