Hard Question....(NOT REALLY) lol

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Re: Hard Question….(NOT REALLY) lol

If you have to ask the question, then I would say go for it. I would give up everything for my babies.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank

I could never do something that would prevent me from having dogs. Some of our greatest happiness comes from having our dogs, fostering dogs. I can't even imagine not having them around!

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

If you have to ask the question, then I would say go for it. I would give up everything for my babies.

Tom, I asked this question, Please allow me to explain why i asked…

2005 living in Slidell, Loisiana, got 3 days notice of hurricane Katrina coming in, Cat 5 storm, Budy we were all hoping it would turn, but as fate would have it, it was our turn…. I was surrounded by Lake Pontchartrain which feeds from the Gulf, Bayou Liberty which feeds into the lake and Pearl River which feeds into the lake. As those winds came in, even though the storm was downgraded to a Cat 3, The water pushing ahead of the storm called the sure was still surging at Cat 5 strength, Evacuation in my area was mandatory, Police and Fire and Army Reserves evacuated everyone.

Everyone was in the hustle and bustle of getting their most valuable items out, and leaving the city, what I later learned was no one had did research in our area as the pet friendly shelters for the storm, Now the bad, Had a shelter allowed Pets, were talking in my area alone people coming in with Pitt Bulls by the handfuls, along with many hunting dogs into a people shelter, Myself, I had evacuated North of I-12 away from the flood zone, yet finding later still not far enough. Residents had no knowledge of where to take animals, Motels were not pet friendly, Residents had to make a decision to live out of their car, or book a motel far off and leave their animals at home. I would say about 70% of folks left their pets in their home (smh= shaking my head) and evacuated for the storm. The storm was so bad in our area, the eye crossed right over my shelter, and I remember walking outside, looking at the blue sky, and swirling clouds in the eye of the storm before the backside hit us, Tornadoes were literally landing all around me, how they missed was only something the lord could answer. After the storm passed, I couldn't get into my home for almost 5 days, and even then i waded down my street in neck deep water, snakes were swimming in that same water down the street, along with alligators, and most surprisingly to me, because I never thought about it, everyones fish aquarium fish also escaped the aquariums. These fish were literally swimming between my legs as I was wading through the water. When I got to my house, It looked fine, and as I unlocked the door, I couldn't open the door, all the furniture floated against the door as the water receded. In the days after this, Police and Fire personnel came around searching every house for those that failed to evacuate, and put unique signs of their finding with orange paint on their front door, It was an experience like no other i've ever been through before. In inquiring with rescue personnel, They explained what the markings meant, and after that, I was able to look through the neighborhood at the door paintings and could tell if they found bodies in the house, family pets in the home etc… So many people from my area evacuated, and left their pets behind to fend for themselves, only to find they came home to 13 feet of water and drowned pets everywhere. Guessing for me that was the most tragic part of the storm. I knew most motel 6's nation wide were Pet Friendly, from earlier life travels with my Cocker Spaniels. Guessing most people didn't know that and evacuated leaving, Dogs, Cats, & Birds behind to drowned. This was the reason I'm asking if your pet has a priority in your home, would you evacuate from your home for any reason and leave your pet behind?? I would live in my vehicle with my pet before I would leave Rocky behind, Just wondering how many others felt the same way…… Tragic, but true!! The other day [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] posted a thread about the aka and oklahoma, in light of the tornadoes there and their tragedy, again, I'm seeing folks are being enlightened, and also I know every corner of the USA has their emergencies, whether wildfires, Snow storms and blizzards, earth quakes, tornadoes, hurricanes etc, has everyone here thought about what they would do in case of evacuation, have you thought about different places you may stay, and checked that area already for pet friendly locations? Sooner or later devastation will reach your area, just as it did me, Thinking don't get caught unprepared. :nope:

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

I could never do something that would prevent me from having dogs. Some of our greatest happiness comes from having our dogs, fostering dogs. I can't even imagine not having them around!

MamaAndi, I've been caught in Nebraska for one of those blizzards y'all have, thinking I was either in Kearney or North Platte, anyway, they lowered those Rail Road crossing gates down, and wouldn't allow me back on I-80, luckily I found a Pet Friendly motel there, and stayed a couple of days there with my Cocker Spaniel. That was one wild storm.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank

If anyone were ever to get caught in a natural disaster and was facing having to leave their pets behind...a good resource to reach out to are rescues (in an unaffected area). They can spread the word quickly to their foster families and in some cases can help out temporarily till you find a pet friendly place.

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

I am retired so the job thing isn't really an issue, but I would NEVER volunteer to live someplace where I couldn't have my dogs with me. My husband and I have gone so far as to get long term care insurance so if one of us needs expensive care, the other one won't end up having to liquidate everything to pay for it! Our dogs are important family members!

I feel the same way Alice, I'd NEVER take a job or make a move I couldn't include my human children in, So why should Rocky be any different??

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"

If anyone were ever to get caught in a natural disaster and was facing having to leave their pets behind...a good resource to reach out to are rescues (in an unaffected area). They can spread the word quickly to their foster families and in some cases can help out temporarily.

MamaAndi, this needs to be announced along with human evacuation centers, Pet evacuation centers, as you know for Katrina, we had folks spread from Houston, Atlanta, Florida, and all points up north, I know my older brother was in arkansas. So many pets were lost for that storm, due to lack of knowledge, and you know after that how many rescues hit the streets, everyone was homeless, from people, pets, Law Enforcement etc…

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

My babies will win over... - nope, pups WIN!

Last edited:

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu

I understand and its sad so many hotels , motels ect wont take pets, but I feel the same way you do I wouldnt leve my kids behind and would never leave without my babies, Im nothing without them.
if I had to live on the street with them I would.where I go they go. If I ever pass away, the only place I would let them go to is someone on this fourm and no where else.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie

I don't know how people can be so heartless and leave their babies behind. I could never leave my babies behind, if I go they go.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart

I dont have any pets, I have 3 companions, 1 is a female Human I call my wife, my other 2 are bulldogs, that I'm proud they call me 'Daddy'. (Or they guy who feeds us!) :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.