Real Name
    Rachael
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rambo
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Why a Bully

Dave, my first dog I bought by myself was a cocker. Jaxon. I got him as a graduation gift to myself from undergrad. He was spunky and fun and thought he was the perfect fit for me and my daughter. After he turned about 3 we adopted a former show cocker named Breeze. So it was my daughter and my two dogs for a long time. We made the trek from Michigan to Georgia and 6 months after we arrived, Jaxon darted out in the middle of a busy road and breeze followed. Both my dogs killed in a matter of 5 minutes of each other.

So we waited a little over a year to get another pet. We weren't even sure if we even wanted a fish. So here comes a long Troy, a friend said a lady had puppies and needed a home for them. We saw his little face and brought home my lil yorkie. Now Troy, I can say is/was my heart. He was easily trainable, he was sweet, he slept all the time and was my daughter's go to guy. He went everywhere with us. Then the bad news, he was diagnosed with a brain disorder called Granulomamenignial Encephalitis (GME). It came out of nowhere and after several trips to the vet,, medications and everything I could possibly do, we had to put him down.

Because I work from home, a lot of my outdoors time had to do with letting the dog out. When the vet told me that, Troy would die, I did start thinking about my getting another dog. Did we want to rescue, did we want to get another cocker or yorkie? Did we not want any pets?

I guess my decision to focus on getting a bully came from my dad and my daughter. My dad had an american bully and said Rachael, think about getting a larger breed dog. So I researched a few but I kept coming back to EBD. Why? I think it's because they've got enough energy for us, but just lazy enough for me too. Ugly Cute enough for me to include in the family photos. The health issues have made me think, but not steer me away. I've done my research, starting with this site and others. Talking to a rescue, talking with several breeders and picked up books etc.

My choice is not necessarily based upon breed, but characteristics I want in canine family companion. Could I find a dog with similar traits, probably. But once I've set my mind, resources and said I'm doing something, it usually gets done.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenRod View Post
    No Tim, I never have, but just did, absolutely true. I guess my point is that every day folks say how important their pets are to fit in, but when the slightest decision comes about, they ditch a pet for the bettering themselves. I just can't understand why folks will ditch a fur kid as a minor upset of the apple cart but won't do the same because of a human kid. I guess the laws keep them doing the right thing in that case….. I guess the same philosophy goes for if it only cost a Million Dollars for a marriage license, and a $1~$2.98 for a divorce, a lot more thought would be put into the decision to get married. Why isn't pet ownership as important decision as marriage is, after all they both are until death do you part, or should be is my point !!
    Hear! Hear!

What humans do the things they do to each other and to the things they profess to love is beyond my realm of understanding. Yesterday, some dipstick in Roy, WA put is infant in the freezer for an hour because it was crying. WHAT? This same doofus probably has three or four dogs running around. (If this moron doesn't get the prison time he deserves...ACK!)
    @Twice has something on her signature that really says it all for me - I can't quote it exactly but something about Getting a Dog's License should involve more than writing a check.
    @RachaelJ - I really enjoyed hearing your story. Thanks for sharing it with us. It just proves how different our journeys can be here at EBN.

For me, my first bully (Miss Mabeline Fabulash) was a "dream come true" dog. And she sure was. After her, I cannot even FATHOM having anything other than an English Bulldog by my side. I'm smitten with them! ALL OF THEM!

Doggie Boutique Owner FORDE'SMOM's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Forde
    Likes (Received)

After becoming single I decided I wanted a dog in the house...something that I that I said I would never have, when I think about that now I laugh.....it took a few years for me to make the decision...but in 2009 I started looking at dogs.....I just fell in love with the looks of the english bulldog......read about them....looked into breeders....this went on for like a year, suddenly one of the breeders I emailed said she had one available...to just come look at him.....I did....needless to say we brought him home that day...and I fell in LOVE with this guy.........all of my thoughts "ewwww, will he pee in the house.....will he tear things up.....will it smell like I have a DOG in the house ( lol) .......etc...etc...etc" suddenly disapeared .....he is so much a part of our family and I can't imagine life without him.......he has my heart

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FORDE'SMOM View Post
    After becoming single I decided I wanted a dog in the house...something that I that I said I would never have, when I think about that now I laugh.....it took a few years for me to make the decision...but in 2009 I started looking at dogs.....I just fell in love with the looks of the english bulldog......read about them....looked into breeders....this went on for like a year, suddenly one of the breeders I emailed said she had one available...to just come look at him.....I did....needless to say we brought him home that day...and I fell in LOVE with this guy.........all of my thoughts "ewwww, will he pee in the house.....will he tear things up.....will it smell like I have a DOG in the house ( lol) .......etc...etc...etc" suddenly disapeared .....he is so much a part of our family and I can't imagine life without him.......he has my heart
    And I can see he's Tri-Colored the same as Rocky, Fawn, White, & Black.

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

I'm the same way. Fastidious over order, cleanliness and etc in my life and home. Perhaps more than a bit OCD. I have had dogs all my life except for an 18 year period when I lived on church property as a Pastor and any dog that I tried to have wouldn't work out. You can guess why. After we moved out of the parsonage and got our home in 1999 even though I had a love for dogs and would often reminisce about my first Ace a cocker spaniel I grew up with as a boy and my Brutus and AmStaff I had in the mid 70's I still wouldn't make the plunge. Long story short my wife got a maltese a couple of years ago our first totally inside dog. I love the dog as well but it made also reminisce about my past dogs who all stayed outdoors and what I missed with them not having them beside as the maltese was/is. I wanted another bully. My wife was skeptical about another AmStaff, or APBT worried that they may be too game and the safety of the maltese. I didn't think so and could have gotten my way but instead went with an OEB and my wife was convinced that it would be less game. Now I'm more than sold out. I love these bully's, the conformation, the temperament, the personality. Couldn't imagine not having one. And inside, with the shedding and the destruction of chewable items, but although I still like order and cleanliness the small stuff I used to think big doesn't matter much compared to the dogs. Dog odor? A maltese has virtually none the Bulldog? Oh well. But you know what I like the smell now. And as a bit of a disclaimer if you are thinking about getting an OEB because they are laid back and not game think again. They are not pitbull's don't get me wrong but they possess plenty of drive

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Forde
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenRod View Post
    And I can see he's Tri-Colored the same as Rocky, Fawn, White, & Black.
    @GoldenRod........Yes he is...... Rocky and Forde are similar in looks

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Forde
    Likes (Received)

agr
    Quote Originally Posted by Rural mystic View Post
    I'm the same way. Fastidious over order, cleanliness and etc in my life and home. Perhaps more than a bit OCD. I have had dogs all my life except for an 18 year period when I lived on church property as a Pastor and any dog that I tried to have wouldn't work out. You can guess why. After we moved out of the parsonage and got our home in 1999 even though I had a love for dogs and would often reminisce about my first Ace a cocker spaniel I grew up with as a boy and my Brutus and AmStaff I had in the mid 70's I still wouldn't make the plunge. Long story short my wife got a maltese a couple of years ago our first totally inside dog. I love the dog as well but it made also reminisce about my past dogs who all stayed outdoors and what I missed with them not having them beside as the maltese was/is. I wanted another bully. My wife was skeptical about another AmStaff, or APBT worried that they may be too game and the safety of the maltese. I didn't think so and could have gotten my way but instead went with an OEB and my wife was convinced that it would be less game. Now I'm more than sold out. I love these bully's, the conformation, the temperament, the personality. Couldn't imagine not having one. And inside, with the shedding and the destruction of chewable items, but although I still like order and cleanliness the small stuff I used to think big doesn't matter much compared to the dogs. Dog odor? A maltese has virtually none the Bulldog? Oh well. But you know what I like the smell now. And as a bit of a disclaimer if you are thinking about getting an OEB because they are laid back and not game think again. They are not pitbull's don't get me wrong but they possess plenty of drive
    agree

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads