Swollen eye

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Tubby's right eye is swollen. He was at my dad's house last night with us playing with their golden retriever. I suspect it was some trauma from the playing. The thing that is freaking me out is he had cherry eye surgery on that eye in March. It has not relapsed but his eye is almost swollen shut. We still have medicated drops from his surgery. Should I give him a dose? Should I try to ice the eye? Help!!!

I should add that Tubby is his normal playful self. He's not pawwing at it or anything

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh no poor little guy. Did he maybe get stung or bit by some bug? Or is it swollen from an injury? Does he have a scratch on or near the eye? If it is from an injury then it's probably just bruised and it will heal on its own, but if its from a bite or sting, you might want to try a Benadryl to see if it helps the swelling go down. If your not sure if his eye is okay, maybe a call to,the vet, or a quick trip in to have it checked wouldn't hurt. I'm not sure about the drops, if they would help for this situation, but you could also,ask your vet this question. You could also try Polysporin eye drops or the cream if it was from an injury. Hope Tubby feels better soon. Keep us posted. Can you post a picture of his eye?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh no! I wouldn't put the drops in without calling the vet first, some eye medications can make things worse not better. I would clean it and just use a libricating eye gel which can be found at any drug store. Benedryl may help reduce the swelling. :hug:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Oh poor boy, hope it gets better soon.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Tubby's right eye is swollen. He was at my dad's house last night with us playing with their golden retriever. I suspect it was some trauma from the playing. The thing that is freaking me out is he had cherry eye surgery on that eye in March. It has not relapsed but his eye is almost swollen shut. We still have medicated drops from his surgery. Should I give him a dose? Should I try to ice the eye? Help!!!

I should add that Tubby is his normal playful self. He's not pawwing at it or anything

Stephanie,

I would try Benadryl and a pack of ice, if its not an allergy, the benedryl won't hurt, if it is, perhaps it will help, what have you got to loose, also use the ice packs to reduce swelling, between both, one should help, But I wouldn't leave anything to spare…. In my Honest Opinion.

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to try some benadryl cause honestly I don't know if it was from him playing with the Golden or if something got him when they were in the back yard.

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
So of course I rush out to get Benadryl. As I got home to give him a dose he runs up to the door to greet me butt wigglin and his eye is looking back to normal! I swear the little bugger was faking it so I wouldn't go out without him!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.