Rant about people owning bulldogs for the wrong reasons

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
I recently had a contractor at my house to look at my electrical. He saw Rumble and mentioned that he looks like his dog. I then immediately started asking questions because I love talking to other bulldog people. He went on to say that he had a 3 year old female and that he was happy that she was finally pregnant to have puppies. He then mentioned how he had paid $1600 each time for 3 times to artifically inseminate her but that he didn't mind the price because the dad was the rare blue carrier and that he would easily recoup his money by selling the puppies. I tried to put this out of my mind and then asked about his opinion with bulldogs and heat. He then stated that his bulldog who is now pregnant stays outside during the day as long as it is not over 100 degrees! :eek: But not to worry because she has a pond she can go into to cool off! :blink: At that point I excused myself to go check on Rumble who was being very patient and waiting while this stranger was in his house. I can only imagine how crazy the contractor thought I was as to how spoiled Rumble was as in the beginning I had mentioned that he doesn't like to be alone and follows us everywhere inside the house but is only allowed outside when we are with him and only for short periods due to the weather. I just could not believe the stories he was telling me but I was polite and let him talk. Now when my husband got home he heard all about it and what I really wanted to say! :D Some people should just not have animals...

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I agree!! I hate when I see "rare puppies" for sale, it's so sad. Dogs aren't supposed to be blue!! And having his pregnant bulldog outside in the heat WITH a pond?! That's just asking for trouble!! You are way more patient than I am because I think I would have punched him in the face! Lets just hope that hearing you tell him you only allow Rumble outside for short periods of time will knock some sense into him!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
It's really crazy how people just look at their dogs as a money making machine. I could never wrap my mind around the whole "Outside Dog" thing. When I purchased Raven a lot of people were telling me I shouldn't have her spayed because I could make a lot of money. Talk about giving out stink eye, I am surprised people didn't fall over dead from the looks I threw at them. Sorry but I was not going to turn my girl into a breeding bitch because I could make a ton of money. That was not my intention when I purchased her. Then the next best thing was I should breed her so people could buy a dog for cheap from me. My next door neighbor came up with that one..yeah right. So I pay x for my girl, plus all the extra care and vetting she needs being pregnant, plus the cost of the c-section she would probably need, just so I could provide everyone with low cost dogs. People are really nutty.

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Oh yeah, some people should NOT have animals, just last week I was trying to make polite conversation with my grandma's boyfriend, it turned to my dog, and then he started telling me horror stories about the bulldogs they kept on their farm.... tied to trees all year, and ripping the occasional chicken to shreads! "they even sucked the egg out!" ::vomit:: Thanks Larry, you creeper

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree!! I hate when I see "rare puppies" for sale, it's so sad. Dogs aren't supposed to be blue!! And having his pregnant bulldog outside in the heat WITH a pond?! That's just asking for trouble!! You are way more patient than I am because I think I would have punched him in the face! Lets just hope that hearing you tell him you only allow Rumble outside for short periods of time will knock some sense into him!

Unfortunately people get dogs for selfish reasons, whether its because the puppy is cute at the moment, and they get all the attention from people because they are cute and small, then the puppy grows up and gets big, and the novelty wears off, and the poor dog is banished to the dog house if their "lucky", or tied up out in the backyard, in all the elements, abandoned and unloved. So sad. Why do people get a dog if they aren't going to treat that pet as a loving member of their family, as they deserve? Others like your contractor get the puppies just to keep pumping out puppies just for profit, with no care for the health of the mother or the puppies. How could someone keep a pregnant bully outside in the heat? These people just have no heart. Unfortunately telling him that you only keep Rumble outside for short periods of time won't knock any sense into him, because he never had any sense in the first place. Unfortunately you can't teach people love and compassion if they don't have it in their hearts, and you can't fix stupid. I wish people would have to take a doggie parenting class or course, and get some kind of a license before they could get a dog, and if someone has proved to be neglectful, abusive, or heartless to an animal, they should be banned from owning one again.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
AMEN! It is so sad and infuriating at the ignorance of some who just look at these babies as money makers.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
and ripping the occasional chicken to shreads! "they even sucked the egg out!"

My dogs rip chicken to shreds and eat it... almost daily. And suck eggs out too. Oh, the chicken is already dead. :)

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I am probably the most judgmental person alive, but EVERY SINGLE time when I'm asked where I got Remi, and I tell them a Breeder in PA, I KNOW they just assume I got Remi from a puppy mill or something. They always get very quiet and I know they have formed their opinions of me and are just trying to be polite.

As bulldog moms, everyone is going to raise their pups different and think some people are crazy for doing this and that. This is a fine line though between spoiling and being negligent with your pup. I'm afraid this is a case of the latter. :(

- - - Updated - - -

My dogs rip chicken to shreds and eat it... almost daily. And suck eggs out too. Oh, the chicken is already dead. :)

OMG. I think I just threw up a little.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I have so many people tell me that they've always wanted a bulldog. I give them the big disclaimer--these dogs are not for everyone. If you're interested in getting one to ride a skateboard, jump on a trampoline, or make money, DON'T. Unfortunately it isn't just bulldogs. People have no clue that any dog is a lot of responsibility. But then, some don't realize children are a lot of responsibility either. Stupidity has no limits. And you can't fix stupid. :aaargh:

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I recently had a contractor at my house to look at my electrical. He saw Rumble and mentioned that he looks like his dog. I then immediately started asking questions because I love talking to other bulldog people. He went on to say that he had a 3 year old female and that he was happy that she was finally pregnant to have puppies. He then mentioned how he had paid $1600 each time for 3 times to artifically inseminate her but that he didn't mind the price because the dad was the rare blue carrier and that he would easily recoup his money by selling the puppies. I tried to put this out of my mind and then asked about his opinion with bulldogs and heat. He then stated that his bulldog who is now pregnant stays outside during the day as long as it is not over 100 degrees! :eek: But not to worry because she has a pond she can go into to cool off! :blink: At that point I excused myself to go check on Rumble who was being very patient and waiting while this stranger was in his house. I can only imagine how crazy the contractor thought I was as to how spoiled Rumble was as in the beginning I had mentioned that he doesn't like to be alone and follows us everywhere inside the house but is only allowed outside when we are with him and only for short periods due to the weather. I just could not believe the stories he was telling me but I was polite and let him talk. Now when my husband got home he heard all about it and what I really wanted to say! :D Some people should just not have animals...

Tiffany, your husband has more patience than me, I believe I would have come in, heard the story, Dismissed him from his work, and hired someone else, while telling him, I don't wish to further support his ideals in Bully"s…… Sorry if this is offensive, Its just I dislike and refuse to support anyone taking advantage of any dog breed !!

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
No matter what breed of purebred, AKC registered dog or even one that came from backyard breedings that have the same breed of parent, people will always comment on how they think that person should breed the dog so they can make some money. My best friend had this mentality with her Shih Tsu. She bred him, he and the partner had 5 puppies. Pups were born 1 died, the female wouldn't nurse the others and then the owner of the female decided she didn't have time to handle all those puppies. She ended up having to take care of 4 puppies, while working full time and the list goes on. Hence she said she would never do it again. She learned the hard way.

It's more common than not for people to think that way. Sad.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.