Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
This is a letter from AKC showing their support to the tragedy in Oklahoma

AKCletterhead_headerNY.jpg
The following is an update of the actions that the AKC staff has taken in reaction to the tragic events that took place in Oklahoma this week.
The AKC and AKC CAR are working around the clock to provide assistance, supplies and financial aid to those affected by the devastating tornados.
We felt it important to keep you up-to-date with the specific actions that have been taken so that you can communicate these actions with any outside parties who may ask you about our efforts.
Supplies
AKC CAR has been able to personally deliver two rounds of supplies to the Animal Resource Center in Moore, OK. These included bowls, crates, leashes and other necessities. Along with the AKC, Mid-Del-Tinker KC, Oklahoma City KC and Lawton DFA members have been on site helping people at the shelter and our people stayed through the night Tuesday. Supplies have also been delivered to the Home Depot Emergency Shelter. These have included 200 micro-chips and 6 scanners as well as regular supplies.
Donations
AKC CAR donated $10,000 to Oklahoma State University (OSU) Animal Relief Fund, which is helping the OSU Center for Veterinary Sciences to provide free veterinary medical care to animals injured during Oklahoma’s recent tornadoes. OSU has been able to put this donation to good work and is also managing to house many of the displaced animals.
Communications
The AKC team has provided real-time updates to our constituents via social media. These updates have included places to find missing pets, images of pets that have been found, a list of pet friendly shelters, how to help the people involved and also how to donate to AKC CAR to help aid the effort. To date we have raised over $48,000 to help assist the people and dogs of Oklahoma.
A major positive for us is that both our AKC Dog Lovers Blog and the AKC Facebook page have become major destinations for people looking to get information on the situation. This is showcased in the 1.2M people that have visited these pages in the last 72 hours. Our images of owners being reunited with their pets have been particularly well received.

Dennis Sprung
President & CEO
American Kennel Club

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:2thumbs:wow, I'm almost in shock. I so glad they stepped up to the plate. Thank You AKC & AKC CAR

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
It makes me so happy to hear these positive stories of people pulling together to help and to donate after such a tragedy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Excellent....

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Thanks, [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]. I hear so much crap from my daughter about how terrible the AKC is, it is nice to hear something positive.

D

DaisyBulldog

Well, I'm glad they are helping out during a national tragedy, they certainly have enough money to do so. I was originally thinking from the title of the thread they were doing something about the breed standard to help our EB's be able to live longer, healthier lives.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.