Overheating Bullies- Heaven Gained An Angel

BullieTech

May 20, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Johanna, Jorgie, Jenny, Joon
It is that time of year again, especially if you are living in the Northeast where it becomes hot and muggy. Many bullies will play until they drop. You must supervise the games, and determine when it is time to stop. During hot weather limit your dog's time outside. Be sure that there is a shaded area for your dog to rest in and that your dog has a constant supply of clean water. Never, EVER underestimate your bullies susceptibility to heat stroke. Limit their exposure to temperatures which you might personally find only mildly hot, be conscious of your dog's proximity to hot pavement, NEVER leave your Bulldog in a locked car in even mild weather, and always allow them lots of access to fresh water, shade, and cool areas to escape from heat. By the time you notice the onset of heatstroke in your bullie (excessive panting, the skin inside the ears becomes red/flushed, staggering, weakness, staggering, loss of bowels) it already cuts your bullies chances of survival in HALF.

I spent my morning trying through tears to help a bullie girl fight for her life through heat stroke when she was brought into the clinic where I work- sadly she passed over the Rainbow Bridge...she was only 3 years old

- A very heartbroken vet tech and bullie mom

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Oh no this is just too awful. We always try and remind people on our Rescue's facebook page to be aware of the dangers at this time of year!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh no how very sad. So sorry to hear this. Most of us know the signs and dangers of extreme temperatures for our bully babies be they hot or cold, but it is so important that it never hurts to read it again and review and just be reminded of how fast it can happen. We may think it's not so hot, or that it hasn't been to long, but it happens before you know it. Thank you for the reminder and the great information. I'm just so sad that it had to be because someone's beloved bully passed away due to heat stroke and a very avoidable accident. My heart goes out to the family, and to you, that you had to,go through that. It must have been very sad and hard for you to go through that. I'm sorry

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great reminder.... so sorry for that sweet little girl - RIP baby

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
That is just too heartbreaking. :cry: We were at the boat shop this morning and one of the guys there has a bully that I've seen on the boat shop's facebook page before. Anyway, I was showing him pictures of the kiddos and mentioned that I got Emma from Tucson. He asked me how did her breeder keep them the bulldog cool in the Arizona heat and that he goes to Lake Havasu and his bulldog plays and plays and plays until he has to be stop. I told him then that he needs to watch that as heat stroke is the most common death among Bulldogs. I can only hope he understood. So so sad.

Also remember that heatstroke for our bullies can occur in 70 degree weather too.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I spent my morning trying through tears to help a bullie girl fight for her life through heat stroke when she was brought into the clinic where I work- sadly she passed over the Rainbow Bridge...she was only 3 years old

- A very heartbroken vet tech and bullie mom

:*(

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
This is so sad, I know the Temperature in Slidell was a steamy 90 today with humidity….. I hate Rocky being out in it, even his business breaks are less than 10 minutes. I feel so badly for the family, and especially this Bully Baby…… I can only imagine the pain and loss this family is going through…… These pets are so wonderful, but also so susceptible to major problems normal pets don't face…… The Lord definitely took another Angel home!! Thanks for the gentle reminder, and story, alarming, but good!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
*bump* An important reminder; especially for our new folks with puppies. Don't expect your dog to know when to quit. Take frequent breaks when walking in warm weather. Yesterday, it was barely 60 here and cloudy but when that sun came out for a minute, during our after-work walk, it got warm FAST. Bea and Bo both required a mid-walk break where they laid on some cool cement before we ventured the rest of the way home. Stopping and just sitting down in some cool shade and waiting until they stop panting is our protocol. If there's cool cement to lay on? All the better. Of course, their first choice is a cool wade in an icy creek!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
So very heartbreaking all the way around for everyone and a sweet baby girl,
gone before her time.
:cry:

Thank you so very much for your earnest effort to save this young bully.

I wish all breeders would be caring enough to EDUCATE their buyers and that
all buyers would educate THEMSELVES on this breed (or any breed they are
purchasing)...DUH!

GOD bless everyone, my love to all y'all and yours! Carol, Cami & CoCo

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.