To Neuter or Not To Neuter

Kprice

May 22, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the English Bulldog Community. Actually, Ollie is my first English Bulldog. He is turning 2 years old in July and I can't decide if I want to have him neutered.

He is pretty well behaved. He doesn't wonder or mount/hump people. The only issue I have is that there are certain dogs that he does not like. I have been socializing him since he was 11 weeks old. We've been to all sorts of training classes and boot camp. But he still shows aggression towards other dogs. More so on a leash.

Will neutering help? I'm also afraid if I neuter him that he won't be as active as he is now. He's a lot of fun!

Thanks.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Neutering will probably lessen but may not do away with it totally. However, leaving him intact will possibly allow the behavior to worsen over time. He's actually at about the ideal age to have it done. Fully grown but young enough to still be flexible. Age will affect his activity level more than neutering as long as you don't let him get fat. I don't think you can totally train it out of him either. I have a male aggressive dog (Shortybull) and it's a pain. Taking him out in public anywhere is no fun at all and he only weighs about 30 pounds. If he was an EB it would be close to impossible.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I personally would for sure, lot of views on it but the frustration for him to breed and not allowed to is unnecessary. We did Kain at 6 months and would do again in a heartbeat.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Re: spaying / neutering Bulldogs
Re: Neutering My Puppy..

Hi, I had my male Bulldozer neutered at 7 months old, I've read it's recommended between 6 and 7 months of age. I also have his sister, they are litter mates, so I had to fix both of them before Blossom went into her 1st heat, as they are in the same house, and I would have had to separate them from each other. It's more important to have a female spayed at an early age, if you are not going to breed her, as the chances of cancer is higher for every heat they go into, especially breast cancer. I fixed her first, and then neutered Dozer a week later. I think it's okay to wait longer for a male, but again if you are not going to use him for Stud, then fixing him is better for his health. Neutering a male lessens the chance of cancers, can calm down the dog, and lessens the dangers of your male running off and getting lost or hit by a car due to chasing female dogs in heat. Some people like to wait until their male is closer to a year old, because they beleive the dogs' head and body will grow bigger before neutering. I don't know if this true or not, or if its just a myth, but maybe someone else on here can give you more I formation on this. I found Dozer changed for the better after he was neutered, he calmed down a lot, wasnt as hyper, he didn't hump us anymore, or his sister, and he became a lot easier to train, as he was more focused, and he also became this snuggley bear.

0 Comment(s)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Neutering may help lessen his aggression, but it is also a health risk not to have it done when they are not being breed.

May 17, 2013
São Paulo - SP
Country
Brazil
Bulldog(s) Names
Bolota "(Ballie/Fattie)"
Some people like to wait until their male is closer to a year old, because they beleive the dogs' head and body will grow bigger before neutering. I don't know if this true or not, or if its just a myth, but maybe someone else on here can give you more I formation on this. 0 Comment(s)

I also heard that, is this true?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I say it's a myth. I've met Bulls that are huge and were neutered at 6 months.

agreed... my boy was done at 8 months and his head/chest were both very big - could not even get a real/official NFL helmet on him

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
agreed... my boy was done at 8 months and his head/chest were both very big - could not even get a real/official NFL helmet on him

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now THAT is a QUOTE and an AWESOME PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO!! LOOK AT THAT BIG OLE BOY!!!!!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have always said if you are not going to breed then spay and neuter your pets. It's the best thing for them health wise in the long run. It will not change him that much if at all. We had Buddy done and he is still the playful bully he was and at 2 years of age is a great time to do it.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm all for neutering, but we discussed it with our Vet and decided to wait until he's around 18 months.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas was neutered at 4 months old :eek: NOT WHAT I WOULD HAVE DONE! But we adopted him when he was almost 5 months old and it was done. He has a very large head and chest, he is 4 now, and maintained the weight of 58-63 lbs for the last 3 years, depending on the season here in HOT Florida. I totally agree that stunting the growth is a myth.

His allergies are really bad in this photo, hence the red face and eyes. But I just wanted to show you a bully that was done at 4 months old. You can look at my avatar at the side and see how good and broad his chest is. Oh and he is very playful even at the age of 4, he can run laps around the living room, especially if he :poo:

Last edited:
OP
K

Kprice

May 22, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Thank you all for your feedback :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Thank you all for your feedback :)

Sorry I'm getting here late, I'd like to throw my 2 cents in. I think the neutering only changes the hormones, not the personality. I have a American Bully who will be 9 in September, he'll mount the EB's and my FIL . He's as spunky as ever. He could stand to slow down a bit if it were up to me.
I say neuter :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.