A Story & A Question

Portly

May 15, 2013
Colorado Springs
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Portly
I picked up Portly from the Colorado Mill Dog Rescue, a greatorganization of staff and volunteers, on May 16[SUP]th[/SUP] without having aclue how our lives were about to change. As soon as I got him in my truck I began to realize and understand themeaning of adopting a rescued mill dog. Whilebeginning the twenty five minute drive back to our home, Portly immediately puthis head on my shoulder and wouldn’t remove it for almost the entire drive evenafter I rolled down the window so he can put his head out. It was then I realized we are going to haveto teach Portly how to be a dog again. In addition I made a mental note to alwayskeep a spare shirt in the truck.
As an addition to ourfamily, Portly, is an absolute joy! He’sfantastic with kids and adults; endearing himself to everyone he meets and goodw/ other animals. He also seems to bepicking up training very well by learning simple commands quickly, except forthe first few hours he has not had any issue understanding where his bathroomis and when to use it. So here is thequestion; This past Sunday I had Portly on the leash for our morning walk andwe made it roughly to our front yard when he decided he no longer wanted towalk for whatever reason and rolled on his back to what is best be described asthe “dying cockroach” position andwouldn’t move. After a few minutes hegot up, took a few steps and rolled on his back again. After two more iterations I gave up andbrought him back into the house. I attempted to walk him again last night,Tuesday, with the same result.
Trying to figure out why he was rolling on his back I cameup with a few possible explanations. OnSaturday, the day prior, he had his nails clipped and maybe one was clipped tooclose and was causing him pain thus his unwillingness to walk. A second through was maybe environmental butin all of these instances were either early morning or evenings w/ the temperaturein the mid 60s. The third possibility ishe may simply not like to walk and as a former mill dog this is new andsomething he has never done previously. I’m at a loss as to why and what I can do about it but I do know if this is our biggest "issue", then its all good! :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
First of all - thank you for rescuing. :heart:

Perhaps his cockroach move is a result of figuring out there's a leash on him? Try walking with him with the leash on but not in your hand -- drag leash. So he can get used to it being there but not be the focus of your activity, you know? Treat him while he's wearing the leash so as to create a good association with it.

Where are your pics of Portly?! We live for such things here.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
First of all - thank you for rescuing. :heart:

Perhaps his cockroach move is a result of figuring out there's a leash on him? Try walking with him with the leash on but not in your hand -- drag leash. So he can get used to it being there but not be the focus of your activity, you know? Treat him while he's wearing the leash so as to create a good association with it.

Where are your pics of Portly?! We live for such things here.

Welcome to the world of bulldogs!! What? You want me to WALK all that way???? It takes a coy mama or daddy to make your bully think it is not only a good idea to walk, but one that he thinks is HIS idea!! @Vicaroo100 gave you good advice: let him drag the leash and follow you. If that doesn't work, treats tossed ahead of you will usually get the pup moving. We have to do this with Bogey. If he knows where we are going (like around our neighbohrood) he plays dead. He walks much better in strange places and if we let him drag his leash.Sometimes I can't do that if we are on a busy street because seeing another dog or a person that might give him a belly rub, will cause him to take off running (which is really a slow trot- easy to catch.) Last resort- get a wagon. Seriously, there are some bullys who just won't walk. I know this is coming for us, but I am not going to get a wagon unless I absolutely have to!!
And picutures pleeeeeease!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advice above, and thank you for giving him a home! Love the term cockroach style lol.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Portly sounds like a sweetheart (and such a cute name too)! Thank you for rescuing him...you sound like a wonderful bully parent.
Postive association w/the leash is a great idea as stated above. I know you already know this, but patience and persistence are the keys here when walking our bullies. Some catch on very quickly, and others take their time and may even be testing you. Take baby steps with Portly (literally!), and it will pay off in the end. Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN and the most WONDERFUL world of Bulldogs!

Vicaroo1000 has you covered with some great advice. best of luck and please post some pictures of your new bully boy!

THANK YOU for giving him a second chance at a great life

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I loved reading your post it absolutely brought a smile to my face :D.. Now that I have said that... I have no idea why he's doing the dying cockroach (<= lmao @ that term) but at least he didn't do it to far away from your house.. Zeus has done this to me for no apparent reason he might think its funny the way we get laughed at when he does his,, but zeus enjoys walks. So maybe they get itchy and decide to roll on someone's lawn.

Abby&Jacks Mom

May 1, 2013
connecticut
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
abigail & jackson
Welcome. ! Bullies can be stubborn! My jackson sits down when we get to the end of our driveway and then it is a tug of war to get the walk under way! Abby helps becuse she loves walking and will grab his leash and tu.g! Lol! :dancing:

LuluMommaTonya

Nov 13, 2012
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu Mae
It took Lulu quite a while to get used to walking with a leash. She was 9 month old and had never had a been walked on a leash, so she refused to move at first. She was too short for me to keep bending over to reward her every time she would take steps, and a friend gave me a trick from her trainer that worked like a charm! I put peanut butter on a wooden spoon and held it at my side while I walked. She was perfectly happy to walk along side me and would take licks without even breaking stride. We only had to do this 2 or 3 times for her to forget about the "big bad leash" and then I was able to stop using the spoon trick. Good luck!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
It took Lulu quite a while to get used to walking with a leash. She was 9 month old and had never had a been walked on a leash, so she refused to move at first. She was too short for me to keep bending over to reward her every time she would take steps, and a friend gave me a trick from her trainer that worked like a charm! I put peanut butter on a wooden spoon and held it at my side while I walked. She was perfectly happy to walk along side me and would take licks without even breaking stride. We only had to do this 2 or 3 times for her to forget about the "big bad leash" and then I was able to stop using the spoon trick. Good luck!

Now THAT is one I've not heard before! I can see where this would work marvelously -- particularly for a food motivated pup.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
:ROFL2: I know the dead cockroach look. Our male bullmastiff (140 lbs.) pulled that in the show ring when he was young. The entire arena was hysterically laughing as my 16-year-old, 98-pound daughter tried to make him get up. Mabel hasn't rolled over, but she will plant all four feet and give us the stink eye for making her go further. I'm getting a stroller/wagon. She also spent most of her life in a crate (we think) and couldn't win a race with a tortoise.

OP
Portly

Portly

May 15, 2013
Colorado Springs
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Portly
Thanks for all of your suggestions. The treats are working...sometimes :-) Portly went camping over the holiday weekendand seemed to enjoy the outdoors, although did assume the cockroach positiononce in a crosswalk to the enjoyment of all passing. …nothing like deadliftinga 50lb bowling ball in the street. Thanks again for all of your recommendations, they are appreciated. Hopefully the picture is now attached.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Does he seem upset or distressed when he is rolling on his back? The only reason I ask is because Tank does this as soon as I get home everyday. But his rolling is a happy sign. :) He rolls close to my feet like that everyday but I think it's just his way of saying he's excited that I came home. LOL Maybe your boy is excited and experiencing a little sensory overload...I would imagine he didn't see many walks if he was a mill pup.

OP
Portly

Portly

May 15, 2013
Colorado Springs
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Portly
Thanks for all of your feedback Portly is doing great! FYI received from Colorado MillDog Rescue a little over a month ago and he is an absolute pleasure. The Colorado Mill Dog Rescue is a fantasticorganization started by Theresa Strader and she and her team has been savingdogs daily. Unfortunately Theresa had recentlylost her home in the recent Black Forrest fire here in Colorado. Please check out the recent news report onUTube regarding her story. One word best describes Theresa …Selfless….

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.