Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
So I posted yesterday about the crazy visit I had at the vet with Gio and Princess, I have a few updates. Pretty much I said that Gio has a minor ear infection and needs to get his tail amputated and that Princess has a bad eye that is requiring drops everyday, a few bad teeth and a possible hernia where her C sections have been (4 to be exact), all this was caused from before we adopted her in January. Turns out Princess also tested positive for heart worm :cry:! The vet is pretty confident it was from before we got her, since we put her right on heart guard when we adopted her because her papers said she was heart worm negative from her last test from 8 months prior. She is going in Friday morning to get an ultra sound to see how bad it is. Since she has no symptoms the vet thinks that the 3 shots spread out in a few months should heal the heart worms, but she is going to go over everything with me Friday morning since it was a lot to take in over the phone! And now for Gio, we moved his surgery to next Thursday since he has been very uncomfortable. I did a lot research on pain patches and called the vet to clear up a few questions. From what I have read it looks like pain patches are actually recommended for big surgeries. I do feel better about that. A lot going on in the next few weeks but I know that they both will get through it... I just hope I can too without being a total mess!!

Anyone have any experience with heart worms?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh boy that is a lot to take in all at once! No experience with heart worms I'm sorry. :( Hugs to you, Gio and Princess. :hug:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
WOW, double whammy, hope they get better soon.

OP
mcraven2

mcraven2

Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] Thank you! I just feel so awful, I wish I brought her to our vet right away but we were told she was cleared for adoption from the shelters vet in Tennessee the day they sent her on her journey up to New England. But when our vet looked at some of her records they didn't do a heartworm test that day since she had it done 8 months before that. I just don't understand why they wouldn't do it again!? I am still just mad at myself for not taking her to our vet anyways, I hate that we wasted 4 months when she could have already been treated!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
HOLY WOW.... I have no experience with heartworms, but I do have experience with the pain med patches. We used them for Nitschke twice (ACL repair and replacements) and he did wonderful on them... only bad part is they have a bald spot for awhile ... I have a picture of it I will come back and post later

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Melissa...Honey...please don't blame yourself or second guess things, it's
all already happened and in the past and can't be changed, only needed
energy wasted. I've had to do this myself, many times in this past 8 months
since losing Hubby and then Brutus right after him. It's difficult NOT to do it
but it won't do anything but drain you!

This is so much to deal with...much sympathy here for you, dear friend.

Let me read up on heartworms (have no experience w/pain patches) and
get back to you.

Here's a comforting hug (I care about you & your bullies) wish I could give
it in person.
:assurred: ​Continued prayers for all...much love!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Wow .. that really is a lot of bad news to suddenly be dumped on you all at once. Luckily it sounds as if the heart worms have been caught early enough to treat easily. don't blame yourself over not taking her to your own vet immediately. You trusted the information you were given about her when you adopted her. Anybody would have done the same thing!!! :hug:

OP
mcraven2

mcraven2

Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama @Texas Carol @kazzy220 thank you all for the very kind words! I will be keeping everyone updated when I get more info from the ultra sound. I did some research on Heartworms and I'm taking it as a good sign that Princess has no signs of the advanced stages, thank God!!! Christine, I would love to see a picture of Nitschke with the pain patch, I'm glad to know it helped him with his surgeries! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama @Texas Carol @kazzy220 thank you all for the very kind words! I will be keeping everyone updated when I get more info from the ultra sound. I did some research on Heartworms and I'm taking it as a good sign that Princess has no signs of the advanced stages, thank God!!! Christine, I would love to see a picture of Nitschke with the pain patch, I'm glad to know it helped him with his surgeries! :)

here ya go Melissa... keep in mind these are from 2009.... there is one after the patch is removed so you can see during and after. The shaved area depends on the size of the patch, looking at the pics I remembered the first patch we had issue getting it off due to the shaved area was little too small... the second (this pic) was done larger to ensure no issues.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Everyone is right please don't blame yourself, you did what the vets said, but the main thing is she is getting the help she needs now and will be on the road to recovery very soon.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Everyone is right please don't blame yourself, you did what the vets said, but the main thing is she is getting the help she needs now and will be on the road to recovery very soon.

What he said!

A Speedy recovery to both of your pups. I'd be mad with worry too if it were mine. You're a good dog pawrent and shame on those Tennessee people.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.