Walking, how long should it be?

May 17, 2013
São Paulo - SP
Country
Brazil
Bulldog(s) Names
Bolota "(Ballie/Fattie)"
Hi!!

Well, I've got this doubt, about how long is long enough for taking your bulldog for walking.
Usually we walk about 1.6km, or 1 mile as you prefer :p, we do it twice a day(09:00AM-08:00PM), on mornings and nights.
The weather over here is hotter than USA, but I avoid times when sun is shining hard.
Well, I'd like to know if that's too long? too short? Should I make it longer as days goes by? Shorter?
Please, let me know how far you go on walkings!

Thankz!!!

Stephan

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
A lot depends on the age, health, fitness of your Bulldog and the temperature, humidity. Ruggles (6.5 yrs. old) walks 2 miles or more early in the morning when it is still cool outside. We walk where there are creeks, rivers, lakes he can get in and get drinks. Ruggles has a healthy, thick fur coat and is able to go on walks when it is cold in the winter. His walk is an important highlight of his day!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
And Vegas on the other hand is 4, good health but living in FL. where is is very hot and humid can only go about a block and back, then he splats himself on the cool tile and passes out for a while.

OP
Stephan Gomes Higuti
May 17, 2013
São Paulo - SP
Country
Brazil
Bulldog(s) Names
Bolota "(Ballie/Fattie)"
Well, bolota is almost 7 months old. Its quite hard for walking close to creeks, rivers or lakes in São Paulo, a.k.a. The Stone Jungle. lol
Im walking according to his breathing, on cold days, seems that he feels more confortable for walking longer distances before starting difficulty breathing, on hot days like today, we go about 2 blocks and he stick his tongue out, and i always carry a bottle of water!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Mabel doesn't walk--she strolls! I think we're getting her a stroller so we can get from point A to point B within a reasonable amount of time.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Mabel doesn't walk--she strolls! I think we're getting her a stroller so we can get from point A to point B within a reasonable amount of time.

I am seriously thinking of getting Veg a stroller, I think he would enjoy while not having to put in effort, lol.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Ya it really depends. I take my 3 year old male and my 5 year old frenchie on a 2 mile walk everyday through a small woods in my town. My 10 year old female on the other hand goes on a walk around a small pond, but she is in a stroller and I do all the walking!! :ROFL:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would say it's too long, especially if it's hot. They don't require long walks. We hardly ever walk ours, and if we do it's short walks.

BullieTech

May 20, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Johanna, Jorgie, Jenny, Joon
It depends on your bullie, but even after you have his walking limit decided some good items to have on hand are lemon juice (a shot to the back of the throat will help open up his airway) and alcohol in a spray bottle (spay on his pads and rub in, this will cool him down). Happy Travels!!!

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Ya it really depends. I take my 3 year old male and my 5 year old frenchie on a 2 mile walk everyday through a small woods in my town. My 10 year old female on the other hand goes on a walk around a small pond, but she is in a stroller and I do all the walking!! :ROFL:
I'd love to see a pic of your baby in the stroller. :D Lol

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would say it's too long, especially if it's hot. They don't require long walks. We hardly ever walk ours, and if we do it's short walks.

I agree. Most bulldogs are not built for long walks. They over heat far too easily!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We take our two guys down to the trail and river behind our house early in the mornings, and again in the evening. They will walk the 5 min walk to the trail, and then we let them off leash, and they will run with other and play like crazy, for about 20 mins, then they will start to pant. We then go home, and they will sleep most for hours after this. We always bring water with us for them to drink.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Remi is a beast, but I can see him slowing down a bit. We typically walk 30-60 minutes a day in the woods near creeks, etc.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.