Thread: Bulldog Reactions to New Baby

Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Default Bulldog Reactions to New Baby

Hello, hoping for some guidance.

We just had a baby a week ago. Izzy obviously knows something is up and has been peeing on the couch. She has been housebroken for awhile so im assuming its in response to the new addtion.

I did all the things they say to do, gave her a blanket of the babys, kept her routine the same etc. If anything, I make sure that I spend extra time with her so that she would not feel left out. The odd thing is that she pees while im hanging out with her right in front of me. Other than that she doesnt really bother with the baby, no jumping or barking.

Is this something she will get over or should I talk to a behaviorist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gracie and Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bulldog Reactions to New Baby

How old is she ? If she is in her dog adolescence ( 6 - 18 months) then I woudn't worry too much about it being an ongoing issue, if her routine is the same and she is getting lots of attention I wouldn't think its about the baby especially since she doesnt bother with the baby. if she is in dog adolescence look it up there is lots of info on the web about it.

Dog Groomer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
    Likes (Received)

I'm thinking she may be marking her territory and that you're a part of it. if that's the case she'll probably get over it as she incorporates the baby into her world. It doesn't help the couch any though.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

This happened to me with 3 of my kids and bullies at the time- 3 different bullies too! And it was my bed!!! Ewwwww!!! It did not happen with the forth. Here's why.

Each time I tried to show the new baby they were a bit too excited and jumpy. I of course was afraid they would paw or jump.

One day after about a week of having out third son, Bryce, he took a very stinky diaper. When I got up to change him Molly was right there and her little butt was wiggling. She wanted to see him of course. Then I noticed her sniffing. So I turned baby Bryce around and let her get a good whiff of his stinky diaper. After the sniffing was done, she walked away. That was it. From that moment on she quit peeing on my bed and I was able to put him on the floor with her even. She just wanted a proper introduction was all.

When we had our forth child I did the same thing immediately with the same results.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    This happened to me with 3 of my kids and bullies at the time- 3 different bullies too! And it was my bed!!! Ewwwww!!! It did not happen with the forth. Here's why.Each time I tried to show the new baby they were a bit too excited and jumpy. I of course was afraid they would paw or jump. One day after about a week of having out third son, Bryce, he took a very stinky diaper. When I got up to change him Molly was right there and her little butt was wiggling. She wanted to see him of course. Then I noticed her sniffing. So I turned baby Bryce around and let her get a good whiff of his stinky diaper. After the sniffing was done, she walked away. That was it. From that moment on she quit peeing on my bed and I was able to put him on the floor with her even. She just wanted a proper introduction was all.When we had our forth child I did the same thing immediately with the same results. Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    The dirty diaper makes the most sense of anything i've heard yet, seems like sometimes the solution to a problem is so simple, yet who would have thought letting a bully smell a dirty diaper for a proper introduction would be all it took....Evidently you did....That's an awesome solution.

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

"Take it back mom!" Poor Izzy!

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Lisa, this is great thinking on your part,
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all so much! Ill try the diaper thing tonight for sure as they are plentiful!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

My favourite advice ... EVER!
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

This happened to me with 3 of my kids and bullies at the time- 3 different bullies too! And it was my bed!!! Ewwwww!!! It did not happen with the forth. Here's why.

Each time I tried to show the new baby they were a bit too excited and jumpy. I of course was afraid they would paw or jump.

One day after about a week of having out third son, Bryce, he took a very stinky diaper. When I got up to change him Molly was right there and her little butt was wiggling. She wanted to see him of course. Then I noticed her sniffing. So I turned baby Bryce around and let her get a good whiff of his stinky diaper. After the sniffing was done, she walked away. That was it. From that moment on she quit peeing on my bed and I was able to put him on the floor with her even. She just wanted a proper introduction was all.

When we had our forth child I did the same thing immediately with the same results.

that is seriously interesting
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Brewtus
    Likes (Received)

I agree, our Brewtus knew something was up and since we adopted a baby out of state, we left for two weeks and came back with a new family member. However, before leaving I made sure to get out all the big items, let him sniff them and get used to the space it all took up and he got over it. Now that our son is here, he wants to be in the excitement but once we let him check something out, he'll lose interest.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    My favourite advice ... EVER!
    ME TOO!

That makes so much sense to me. Think about it; our human version of an introduction has to do with eyes. A dogs world is viewed Nose FIRST always. Perfect sense.

Remove Ads