Bulldog Reactions to New Baby

CBJNAD

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Hello, hoping for some guidance.

We just had a baby a week ago. Izzy obviously knows something is up and has been peeing on the couch. She has been housebroken for awhile so im assuming its in response to the new addtion.

I did all the things they say to do, gave her a blanket of the babys, kept her routine the same etc. If anything, I make sure that I spend extra time with her so that she would not feel left out. The odd thing is that she pees while im hanging out with her right in front of me. Other than that she doesnt really bother with the baby, no jumping or barking.

Is this something she will get over or should I talk to a behaviorist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
How old is she ? If she is in her dog adolescence ( 6 - 18 months) then I woudn't worry too much about it being an ongoing issue, if her routine is the same and she is getting lots of attention I wouldn't think its about the baby especially since she doesnt bother with the baby. if she is in dog adolescence look it up there is lots of info on the web about it.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I'm thinking she may be marking her territory and that you're a part of it. if that's the case she'll probably get over it as she incorporates the baby into her world. It doesn't help the couch any though.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This happened to me with 3 of my kids and bullies at the time- 3 different bullies too! And it was my bed!!! Ewwwww!!! It did not happen with the forth. Here's why.

Each time I tried to show the new baby they were a bit too excited and jumpy. I of course was afraid they would paw or jump.

One day after about a week of having out third son, Bryce, he took a very stinky diaper. When I got up to change him Molly was right there and her little butt was wiggling. She wanted to see him of course. Then I noticed her sniffing. So I turned baby Bryce around and let her get a good whiff of his stinky diaper. After the sniffing was done, she walked away. That was it. From that moment on she quit peeing on my bed and I was able to put him on the floor with her even. She just wanted a proper introduction was all.

When we had our forth child I did the same thing immediately with the same results. :up:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
This happened to me with 3 of my kids and bullies at the time- 3 different bullies too! And it was my bed!!! Ewwwww!!! It did not happen with the forth. Here's why.Each time I tried to show the new baby they were a bit too excited and jumpy. I of course was afraid they would paw or jump. One day after about a week of having out third son, Bryce, he took a very stinky diaper. When I got up to change him Molly was right there and her little butt was wiggling. She wanted to see him of course. Then I noticed her sniffing. So I turned baby Bryce around and let her get a good whiff of his stinky diaper. After the sniffing was done, she walked away. That was it. From that moment on she quit peeing on my bed and I was able to put him on the floor with her even. She just wanted a proper introduction was all.When we had our forth child I did the same thing immediately with the same results. :up:Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)
The dirty diaper makes the most sense of anything i've heard yet, seems like sometimes the solution to a problem is so simple, yet who would have thought letting a bully smell a dirty diaper for a proper introduction would be all it took....Evidently you did....That's an awesome solution.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Lisa, this is great thinking on your part,

OP
CBJNAD

CBJNAD

Jan 15, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Thank you all so much! Ill try the diaper thing tonight for sure as they are plentiful! ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This happened to me with 3 of my kids and bullies at the time- 3 different bullies too! And it was my bed!!! Ewwwww!!! It did not happen with the forth. Here's why.

Each time I tried to show the new baby they were a bit too excited and jumpy. I of course was afraid they would paw or jump.

One day after about a week of having out third son, Bryce, he took a very stinky diaper. When I got up to change him Molly was right there and her little butt was wiggling. She wanted to see him of course. Then I noticed her sniffing. So I turned baby Bryce around and let her get a good whiff of his stinky diaper. After the sniffing was done, she walked away. That was it. From that moment on she quit peeing on my bed and I was able to put him on the floor with her even. She just wanted a proper introduction was all.

When we had our forth child I did the same thing immediately with the same results. :up:

:hmm: that is seriously interesting

swag0522

Nov 15, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Brewtus

I agree, our Brewtus knew something was up and since we adopted a baby out of state, we left for two weeks and came back with a new family member. However, before leaving I made sure to get out all the big items, let him sniff them and get used to the space it all took up and he got over it. Now that our son is here, he wants to be in the excitement but once we let him check something out, he'll lose interest.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online