bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
Sweet Bella is having surgery to remove the cherry eye! poor baby, im nervous can i be re-assured that its really no big deal of a procedure... :cry:

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
I don't have my bully yet, but I did have a cocker spaniel that popped a cherry eye. Same day out patient surgery. Had one of those satellites for about 3 days and he was good. We ended up having it tacked down and he never popped a cheery eye after.

Rest assured that you can trust your vet, his/her vet techs and your baby will be off to recovery in no time.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Bella's mom. My female Blossom also had cherry eye surgery twice. The first time when she was 7 months old, we did it at the same time as her spay surgery. Then a week after her surgery the other eye also developed chery eye, and we had to have a second surgery a month later. We opted to sew the eyelid back in, and she did fantastic. The healing was quick, as there was no incisions made, and she wasn't in any pain, she had some pain medication for the first few days, and she had eye drops for a couple of weeks. You don't want her doing any running or jumping for a week after her surgery, just small easy walks. That's easier said than done with our crazy bullies. But she will be fine. Sending hugs, love and prayers for a quick and easy and a successful eye repair, and for a speedy recovery. Keep us posted on her progress.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Re: Cherry eye?
I copied and pasted this from another person I gave advice to, hope it helps
hi , I also have a female named Blossom who developed Cherry eye at the same age (5 months) , at first I was able to massage it back in, but by the time I had her spayed at 7 months, it was no longer staying in, and was getting bigger from swelling due to being exposed to the air. I had her eye repaired at the same time as her spay surgery when she was 7 months old. unfortunately a week later the other eye poppped out as well, and pretty big right from the beginning, it wouldn't massage back in at all, and so a month later she had a second surgery to fix the eye. Our vet does not remove the tear gland, and has been doing this surgery for over 20 years, and she has her own technique that she has perfected and told us she has a 85 to 90 % success rate for the eye not to pop out again. we are very happy with the job she did, and Blossoms eyes are beautiful. We had no problems post surgery, and its been 3 months since the surgeries, and no problems. I'm so sorry you and Sophie are going through this , and having such a tough time. I am not familiar with the other method of removing the gland, but there are other members who have had it removed with no problems, and others who have had problems with dry eye, I think they can develop dry eye with either method, and there really isn't any right or wrong way to repair the eye. There are risks with both, but the tacking in of the gland with sutures has more risk of recurring cherry eye, than removing the gland altogether. i think you just have to do your research, that's what I did, and ask lots of questions, then talk to your vet, and see which method he has done more and which one he recommends and why, and them make your decision based on what you are comfortable with. In your case since the first surgery was not succesful, and they have already cut a pocket in her eye, i would be wondering if another surgery with sutures might irritate her eye and cause her more problems, and for the price $1800 and no guarantee, i would be leery of doing it again, a better option for you may be to remove the gland altogether to save her having more surgeries, and risking irritation to her eyes, and future problems down the road. If you have it removed, you wouldn't have to worry about it not working, and having to do further surgeries. you may have to give drops after , but I would rather do that than have her go through more. It is something you have to discuss and think about, and then make a decision with your vet. I hope everythng works out for you and you find a way to fix her eyes. sending love , hugs and prayers your way, for a solution, and a speedy recovery. Keep us posted on what you decide , and how she is doing.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Thanks goodness I have never dealt with this, but I am sending good vibes and well wishes for the surgery and speedy recovery!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She should be fine, most of the time they will just do a local pain reliever like some drops and that's it, just depends on which type of procedure he is going to do.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Sorry, I somehow missed your post earlier but rest assured GOD reigns over
all on this earth including your beloved Bella. Being human we do worry, how
can we not? I & others here will be sending good vibes & praying all goes well.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i heard of it being done and i dont think its usually a big deal. im sure your pup will be fine in no time. :)

OP
bella100

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
thanks everyone!! she will be fine but she's like one of my kids and i cant pick her up until tomorrow! :-(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hugs to you and Bella baby! Glad all went well...

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Glad the surgery went well! Give her an extra hug from me! :)

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
glad all went well.....thinking about all.......:)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.