created a bed monster...now I need to figure out how to get him on it when he is too heavy...

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
Husband is out of town and 6 am rolled around too early today. I let Ernie out and then he will usually go right back to bed on the dog bed next to our bed. Not this morning....he wanted to bark at the cats and play. Me being way too tired to deal, broke the cardinal rule and put him on our bed where he promptly fell back asleep for three wonderful hours. Our dogs have always slept on our bed, but they were boxers who could get on and off by themselves. How do you guys get your bullies on and off your bed? He is over 30 pounds right now and I am not going to be able to lift him that well when he is bigger and I KNOW there is no way he is going to be quiet about not getting back on that bed! Do the dog stairs work or are they too flimsy?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh i feel you. i have to lift sarahs 47 pounds in and out of bed every day. i havent used dog stairs but i have seen ones that would work but they were a bit pricey. not sure i would trust some ive seen at petco and such. :) im sure someone will be around soon with more info.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola is 50 lbs 2 years old and has always been a jumper. she gets on and off the couch bed and backseat of the car with no help...hmm we did try a stool at ab&b but Lola wanted nothing to do with it. my hubby picks up her dead weight to get her up in the morning. she would sleep until noon if we let her.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
If you have a CVS in your area check them out as they have that kind of stuff from time to time. My wife found a set of steps there on clearance for only $1.99 that we used to help our 13 year old boxer get on our bed. They are not the top of the line but they worked well and have a grip pattern on the risers.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
If you're handy, you might be able to make a set of steps that could help get your big guy up on the bed. Otherwise, they have some really good ones available. We can't let Mabel on the bed because of the height. I'm afraid she'd hurt herself if she fell or jumped off. :eek:

Beautiful Berry

Apr 28, 2013
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Berry R.I.P
Berry has her own pillow and blankets and has always slept on my bed. She used to be able to jump up no problem but now she is a 10 year lady she barks at the foot of my bed, I say "paws up" she stands with her paws on the bed and I lift her up with her back feet. Se scratches her blanket about and pushes them with her head then snuggles in and pops her head on her pillow then snores. It doesn't bother me getting up to put her in bed sometimes 3-4 times a night. She brings too many smiles and laughs to me.

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
Our bed is a bit higher than normal and sits in custom made frame(came with the house) that adds more height to it and you also have to get over the frame. it would be a super long jump down and impossible for him to climb up. anyone have any good stair brands???

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Fosters and Smith catalogs arrive here frequently. They seem to have higher quality items; including some stairs!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
We got some for Aubie. They were Animal Planet pet steps, wooden. You can google them and they are $34-50 depending on where you order from. They are wooden, but do not trust the little wooden "prop" in the back. It broke quickly with Aubie's weight of 45lbs. What we did the last time it broke too bad to fix was take it off and get two 2x4's cut to make two back legs and two smaller pieces to brace them. It works great with that support... Aubie runs down them like a nut and they have had no problems since we did that. Photos:

IMG_2519.jpgIMG_2521.jpg

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
I remember I saw a pair that looked good in the delta skymiles magazine. googled it....it is a ramp and stairs....wide tall and not steep. pricey but I think safe and durable(atleast the reviews said so!) this little pup is quite the piggy bank! still have his neuter coming up that will include the nose job and cherry eye.

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Luca is 53 pounds at 8 months old but very lean and agile. He has been able to jump on and off the bed for months now.
Before he was able to do this we considered the doggy stairs but most are flimsy crap. Your best bet is an Ottoman next to the bed or a solid Plastic container or bin your billy can climb on. If you think your bully won't ever be able to make the jump up to te be without a go-between than maybe you or your husband can make a small platform. A little plywood and commercial carpet can go a long way :)

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Sorry I am of *no* help. I'm able to pick up Mona's 46 lbs frame and help her on the bed and off. Our bed is too tall for her to jump up and down from. She's a bit on the "short" side for a bully. Dainty she just told me. LOL You've gotten some great suggestions, though.
[MENTION=8700]Beautiful Berry[/MENTION] OMG that is too freakin cute! "Paws up" and she gets helping getting up on the bed. Bless her little heart.

(edited to fix the @ sign)

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
pet stairs...i have a wood carpeted ones for the bedroom...3 steps....and the living room i have a plastic 2 step since the couch is lower....i may have gotten the carpeted ones from foster and smith...can't remember

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I have a low night stand table that Tate climbs up on to reach the bed; Finn can pretty jump up very easily. I also have an ottomon near the bed that they can use.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
My daddy made some stairs (carpeted no less!) for Samson and Petunia....but I have seen some really sturdy ones for about $50 that can handle the weight of a full grown bully.

Most Reactions