Rocky's new Safety Restraint

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I've been looking for a pet safety restraint for Rocky, Because car rides really excite Rock, Problem being, I get him in the back seat, and he roams to the front, to my lap, to the window, kicking the car out of gear, when taking off from a red light, He falls backwards in the seat, Not that I drive fast, but because he's not real graceful in his balance. In fighting him off of me, and trying to stop, he dives down in the floor board, with his hind legs still in the seat, he's also real slow to back up, lol. Okay and in general, it's just not a safe practice for my pet to be loose inside of my car while moving, and for all these reasons, I was in search of a safety restraint to fix all these problems, Some great ideas, and devices home made had come from my search, but then someone suggested if Pet Smart doesn't carry it, Try "Amazon"….. and this is what I found:
31Ndv7ThsTL._SX450_.jpg

In cars and trucks made prior to 2003, The small web and "D" ring come into place, as the seat belt goes through it, and the clip on the end of the restraint clips on Rocky's Harness, and a Harness is Necessary!!
For vehicles current back to 2003, There is a Metal Latch device in your back seat, I've seen it while cleaning my vehicle but never knew what it was for, anyway the seatbelt end of the restraint clips on this safety Latch device installed in your car, and then the clip fastens to Rocky's harness the same way.

After making the necessary adjustment of the length for Rocky, He was able to stand, Sit, and Lay down on the rear seat, next to the passenger window, and stay put. The tension from the strap, also helped him maintain his balance. The way the D Rings are made on his harness offered good restraint for him, and of course the latch inside the back seat offered the same protection. Taking off, stopping, and left and right turns were no problem for Rocky, and made his Rides comfortable, balanced, and ensures his and my safety at all times. I noticed he liked to get up front to the A/C vents, after laying on the back seat, he just realized he has vents back there. So the restraint also helped in force ably calming his excitement. Hope this helps any of you, which may need to travel with your pets, or currently take them for car rides, and care enough to fasten them in with safety restraint for theirs and your protection. Hope this helps…​

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:up: That's great! That little latch device is for car seats! It works great for this application too! Great info Dave..Thanks! They are planning to pass a law here in California that dogs must be restrained in vehicles.

Last edited:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I'm going to have to check these out. We put a hammock in the back seat of the car. It's a great canvas that hooks on the headrests on the back and front seats. It keeps Miss Mabes from falling between the seats, but it has openings for hooking a harness like this. Thanks for the info! :2thumbs:

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
It's definitely worked well for Rocky, everyday when he walks, he wants to go for a car ride, but then wants to get rambunctious in the car, this makes me a safe driver, and him a safe passenger, plus it keeps him from roaming out of my eyesight. It is a win/win, but your pet has to have a harness, a collar will work but could cause injury in case of accident.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
So the restraint also helped in force ably calming his excitement. Hope this helps any of you, which may need to travel with your pets, or currently take them for car rides, and care enough to fasten them in with safety restraint for theirs and your protection. Hope this helps…

Very awesome. I have a jeep and right now I flip the back seat up and he basically rides in the back (trunk) area. The seat provides a border but he definitely has once jumped over it to get to a wendys sandwich I was eating. He hasn't done anything like that again, but still.

I also like to take the top off the jeep and it would be nice if I knew he was SUPER SECURE else I really couldn't do it. Currently I'll open the back window for him, but I have his leash tied up to the front seatbelt so he can't accidentally fall out. It's not exactly professional ha ha ha. THANK YOU.

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Very awesome. I have a jeep and right now I flip the back seat up and he basically rides in the back (trunk) area. The seat provides a border but he definitely has once jumped over it to get to a wendys sandwich I was eating. He hasn't done anything like that again, but still.

I also like to take the top off the jeep and it would be nice if I knew he was SUPER SECURE else I really couldn't do it. Currently I'll open the back window for him, but I have his leash tied up to the front seatbelt so he can't accidentally fall out. It's not exactly professional ha ha ha. THANK YOU.
[MENTION=6280]ModernFemme[/MENTION], You have the perfect set up, This lead, The one I got anyway will allow 30" inches of movement, which doesn't restrain him to tightly when he's standing up. The downfall of the other restraints I found was they hook under a plastic clip, which under a bind of your bully pulling could break, The one I ordered hooks securely to the "D" rings on his harness, then down to a child restraint bracket built into most new vehicles. After I sat Rocky in the back seat and made him stand up, I measured him and set the lead to give him some movement, but limiting him too. It worked fantastically, and anyone who has a bully who loves car rides like Rocky does, it would make an awesome restraint for, it was less than $20.00 from Amazon, and would cover every thing you just spoke about with Remi…. Top off in jeep and all, That sounds Awesome….. Remi is so spoiled……lol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.