Losing an English Bulldog-General Discussion (Q & A)

Bobby Voss

May 16, 2013
Longview Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Callie Roxanna
I just posted a memorial for my Callie Roxanne. I am very devastated by the loss of my sweet baby.

Q & A: I was wondering for those of you who have suffered from a loss in recent years?

• What was the name of your bulldog?
  • How old was your bulldog?
  • What was the cause of your bulldogs passing (share your story)
  • What was the funniest/craziest thing your bulldog did?
  • What was the best quality of your bulldog?

Please post a picture of your bulldog.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Aw I just read your tribute to Callie and it was wonderful. Again, I am sorry for your loss!

I lost my first bully Bentley three years ago in June. He was 6.5 years old and was lost in a heat-related death. Since then, I have really tried to use my experience and incredible loss to help other bully owners understand the danger of bulldogs and heat. The craziest thing my Bentley did was if we moved his crate anywhere but where he liked it, he'd yelp at night. When I moved the crate back, he was fine! He also really hated a certain wreath I have! Bentley's best quality was that he was a wonderful sympathizer. When I was sick or sad or mad or frustrated, I was never alone. I'm still not, he's with me every day.

I made a tribute video to him if you'd like to check it out! The pain gets better but the wonderful memories will last you a lifetime! :)

My Tribute to Bentley

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I just posted a memorial for my Callie Roxanne. I am very devastated by the loss of my sweet baby.

Q & A: I was wondering for those of you who have suffered from a loss in recent years?

Grizelda Mae Huffenpuff
7.5 years old
died of a brain tumor
liked to eat the water from the hose
she was a nutty loving girl

Zelda at play.jpg

Abby&Jacks Mom

May 1, 2013
connecticut
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
abigail & jackson
I am so sorry for your loss! She was a beautiful bully. I am still coping with the losses of my 2 bulldogs within the last two years King louie died two years ago on memorial weekend . He was one month short of turning 12. He was my bestfriend, he was a rescue we got at 4 mo. Old. HE WOULD WALK TWO MILES A DAY WITH meTIL HE WAS 9, THEN HE STARTED TO SLOW DOWN. HE ALWAYS SUFFERED FROM BAD ALLERGIES AND FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS HE WAS ON PREDNISONE EVERY DAY. HE DIDNT LIKE OR REALLY KNOW HOW TO PLAYbut he was affectionate, protective of me and love to be with me at all timez. Louie loved bellybuttons we dont know why but anytime he saw someones bellybutton he went for it to lick it! The kids thought it was the funniest thing.he died in my arms of old age seems his heart gave out. Cesar died way for his time he was one month short of turning five. He was the healthiest acting bully we have ever had. He loved to play frisbee and sleep in the car. Cesar became ill last September with a pneumonia , he was dead within 6 weeks. After being in and out of the hospital and not getting better we took him to a special hospital tufts in ma. Long story zhort cesar had lupus it was too late too save him they were trying everything! We spent over 12000 trying to save him and were willing to spend more but the disease was in every organ and his body shut down. I have been able to deal with king louie loss better because he had a long full life. Cesars was cut short and sudden. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hang in there it gets bearable .

Last edited:

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I lost Aubrey last year on May 4th. She was only a year and a half old. She'd been sick off and on the whole time we'd had her and they always thought it was food allergies or a bug or something. We finally got a referral to the vet school here and they thought she had ulcers. They gave us some medicine until we could bring her in for surgery. Well, she didn't get any better with the medicine like she was supposed to, so we brought her back in to go ahead and do surgery. As it turns out, she had a weird deformity in her intestines. In a curve, the two had fused together and made a hole that caused food to go through the hole and around the curve, blocking her intestines sometimes. They only found it because that time it was a big blockage that they could see on the ultrasound and finally feel. She went through 4 surgeries to fix her intestines. They took out most of her upper intestine, reattached her stomach and stuff, but they kept having leaks at the surgical sites where bacteria was getting into her abdomen. At 3am the morning we were going to finally bring her home after two weeks, we got a call that she had another leak. We were out of money, there wasn't a good chance she'd recover, so we made the hardest decision and were there when they put her to sleep. The worst part was when the doctor walked in with the meds to do it and she looked at her with wide eyes. :cry: She was a fighter, but I just think her intestines were so messed up that another surgery just wouldn't have worked if we'd had the money. I miss her every day and it still upsets me to think about her, but I know she's not in any more pain. It does get easier, but I will say the one year anniversary of her death earlier this month was particularly hard.

Aubrey was just the sweetest, most gentle dog I've ever had. She loved to be loved. One time she rode in the car with us and started barking at a poster at the gamestop store. She thought that big man was going to get her! LOL.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

My sweet girls name was Maggie, and when we lost her she was only 4 years old.

There is a memorial to her in the Bulldog memorial section of this forum. She was our fur-kid and from the moment we saw her she captured our hearts. Maggie was taken away from us by Lymphoma. She was diagnosed with cancer and four weeks later she was rushed to the vets with complications and there was nothing we could do for her. This was on 31st May 2012, and the one year anniversary will be in 9 days.

The funniest thing that Maggie used to do was to act like she was the boss of everybody and everything .. despite being only 34lb. She would just puff out her chest and stalk around like she was the supreme ruler of the universe. The best quality she had is that she brought love and comfort to us unconditionally.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Her name was Abby and she stole my heart before she even had a name.

Abby was born with Bi-lateral Renal Dysplasia, both of her kidneys were deformed at birth. She was 13 weeks old when she was diagnosed. We were told to take her home and say goodbye, her kidney values were so out of control that we were told she wouldn't last the rest of the month. Abby astounded her doctors by beating every odd against her for almost a year. We ran out of miracles on November 23, 2012. She was one day shy of 13 months old.

The funniest thing about her? She used to talk to me, whole conversations... she never ran out of things to say

and she used to dance. Watch her front paws, we used to call it "The Abby Shuffle"

I miss her more than my heart can stand.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I have loved and lost 5 Bulldogs since the '80s. Mack was the most recent, passing on last summer at 9 years old. He had a heart condition which was diagnosed when he was 7. Mack was the most stubborn of all my boys. Mack was very nosy and if a guest left their bedroom door open he would sneak in and gather treasures, especially socks and underwear, and run through the house with them playing catch me if you can.

Attachments

• Walking Up Hurricane Creek 006.jpg
    Walking Up Hurricane Creek 006.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 157
OP
Bobby Voss

Bobby Voss

May 16, 2013
Longview Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Callie Roxanna
Ha ha aww. She was a sweet girl! I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It's tough, we miss our Callie deeply. I posted a memorial on the site as well. It's crazy I've spoke with many people about their baby and all have passed from all different types of complications. Ours actually had liver failure, we found out a few days ago. We lost her over a week ago, it's been rough, we had her cremated ;(. Thank you for sharing your story with me.

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart

Cash Fontaine, my first bulldog rescue, went to the bridge in February of 2012. He was 13 years old when he passed and was only part of mine life for about 6 months. Cash spent his first 12 years somewhere in Missouri, probably chained up outside the whole time. When we finally got him he was completely deaf (from constant ear infections that went untreated), blind (his eyes were so scarred from having dry eye that was not treated for years) and he had a large tumor which wrapped around his organs that was inoperable (which he passed from). The funniest thing about Cash was how loud he could fart, at times louder than any human..... And he did it a lot (probably because of the tumor). Every thing about him was special. He was always by me, either on my side or under my feet until his last day. I could get up from the couch and he would be in a deep sleep, walk to the other side of the house and the next minute he would be there right next to me. For all the disabilities he had, he never showed them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I lost my sweet boy, my heart, Nitschke at the age of 7 due to heart failure.

here is the thread when he was at the vet - http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...spital-(-need-your-prayers&highlight=nitschke

here is the memorial thread - http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...-RIP-my-sweet-boy2004-2011&highlight=nitschke

And his most favorite thing to do - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FlnPGxzHhhk

His best quality.... he was an all around great boy... loved every one, was gentle and was the worlds best snuggler.

Miss him more and more every day

OP
Bobby Voss

Bobby Voss

May 16, 2013
Longview Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Callie Roxanna
I know how much you cared for Cash. I was really touched by your story, I agree with adopting. We rescued our Callie and only had her from a little over two years and a few months. I know the pain you have because I feel it, she was my world and she always wanted to be with me. She would also have bad gas and burp all the time when she would eat. These dogs have some much personality and all they want to do is love. I hate to hear you only had him for 6 months, I can tell you really cared about him a lot. Many people tell me that I have done more for my bulldog than most people, but even if I did more it wouldn't have changed. We spent so much money trying to keep her healthy and if it weren't for GOD taking her home, we wouldn't stop until she was better. She had a failing liver and had her gallbladder removed the day before she passed, hoping that would fix her problem. But it had already gotten worse. She spent a whole week between our Vets office and the emergency clinic where we live. It had gotten so bad she had two seizures within a few hours of each other and lost her vision all of a sudden. She was an amazing dog, it breaks my heart she had to endure all
these procedures and medication. I just really miss her face, but I know I can't be selfish. They are a different kind of breed. You sure cant buy the love and affection that they provide.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.