Should I get a new pup?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Yes, Banks would be in the chair next to me... belly up soaking up the sun!

growling at everyone walking by :p

I have been checking out rescues as well but it's hard with them wanting a fully fenced yard. Mine is partially fenced as there is a shared drive with my one neighbor so they won't let me adopt :cry: Guess for now Raven will continue to be an only spoiled child.

who won't let you adopt? We don't have that requirement. It's great to have, but it's not a deal breaker.

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Of course you should get another pup. Everyone should own at least 2 bullies. Lol. I have 2 a brother and a sister, but they are litter mates, and so they were trained together on the same schedule. I don't have any experience with adding a second dog. I have always had only one dog at a time in the past, and then last year we bought the two EB's together, and we trained them both at the same time.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have been headed upstate with my credit card in hand this weekend to grab him but when I called the breeder actually wanted $1k more than what I paid her for Raven. I really couldn't wrap my mind around paying that much more right now. As it is, the new pup wasn't a budgeted purchase...lol.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
who won't let you adopt? We don't have that requirement. It's great to have, but it's not a requirement.

You go Bev.....

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
growling at everyone walking by :p

who won't let you adopt? We don't have that requirement. It's great to have, but it's not a deal breaker.

Well now we are talking. Prior to purchasing Raven I contacted a group and they told me in no uncertain terms would I be allowed to adopt without having a fully fenced yard. So that is what made me go and buy a pup. Looks like adoption could be in my future after all :2thumbs:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I would have been headed upstate with my credit card in hand this weekend to grab him but when I called the breeder actually wanted $1k more than what I paid her for Raven. I really couldn't wrap my mind around paying that much more right now. As it is, the new pup wasn't a budgeted purchase...lol.

wow that's a little crazy that they want that much more, totally understandable.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I found an adorabull male that has me itching to bring him home. Hubby and the kids are all rooting me on but....I am a little skeptical. That little face is calling me. Hubby definitely wants a boy this time around. I figured it would be best so we can avoid any fighting (hope so anyways). I think the biggest thing holding me back is the thought of house breaking again, well aside from the cost of the new pup. I think it would be great for Raven to have a playmate but I am worried about when we go on vacation, if we can't take them, if it will be too hard to get a sitter for two pups.

Anyone have some input for me. Was it easier to potty train your second seeing as you had the first one already to show them the ropes?

Absofreakinglutely…… We both know the facts…. Our pets are very smart, your teaching and potty training your pet, First of all I feed mine and see how long before he goes to the bathroom after eating and drinking, by taking him/her out, 30 minutes, then an hour up until he/she uses the bathroom, Then I take that time and work it into a routine, both morning and night, taking into consideration him/her running and speeding up his/her metabolism, taking also into consideration his/her age, and ability to remember, as their short/long term memory hasn't developed yet, and I make potty training into a simple science into his/her routine, until their memory develops along with age, and also taken into consideration they will have accidents, but my scientific way of time measurement, along with his memory development brings us to a happy medium, I take it as a personal challenge to accomplish the task, but then chewing, being destructive, terrible two's I call it for them is all a test of my abilities to understand him/her along with their understanding of you. Better described as you start out worlds apart, and intersect in time, first of many meetings of you Versus Pet, and I take a lot of pride in as BruceP said one day, inserting the time up front versus the dividend on the end. I have no problem in putting time in training my pets, and when an accident does occur, It's a tale tale sign to me somethings wrong, whether it was my fault, his/her fault, or a not feeling good fault, we sort of do a Why/Why evaluation of what happened root cause and variables. I personally take potty training as the first challenge of many more to come, but I take it as my challenge not his/hers. If you've got the time up front to input into your pet, and I'm sure Love of him will give you incentive beyond words can describe, if thats your only hold back, then approach it with a different way of looking at it, take the challenge and relish the accomplishment…… That's my honest opinion….. Hope this helps you make a positive decision, besides if you don't grab him, think of who else might, and what his world would be like then…… You maybe his best hope for happiness…… are you up to the positive investment in his life??

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I love bully puppies but the potty training is definitely the worst part. I had an angel when it came to Maggie. Daddy was a frickin' nightmare to potty train. And Linus was average.

Bella was the rescue so she came fully trained!! :whew:

I will say that it depends on the individual bully and don't expect the newbie to copy the behaviour from any existing pet. I wish it were that easy!!

Would I get a puppy again ... probably not ... but would I rescue again??? EVERY TIME!!!!

And don't give up on rescue ... we too prefer a fenced in yard, but as Twice said .. it's not a deal breaker for us either!!!

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
wow that's a little crazy that they want that much more, totally understandable.

I was shocked. I paid $3k for Raven and she was worth every single penny my husband had to scrape up for her, she was a dream come through gift to me. I really thought that $4k was a stretch.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I love bully puppies but the potty training is definitely the worst part. I had an angel when it came to Maggie. Daddy was a frickin' nightmare to potty train. And Linus was average.

Bella was the rescue so she came fully trained!! :whew:

I will say that it depends on the individual bully and don't expect the newbie to copy the behaviour from any existing pet. I wish it were that easy!!

Would I get a puppy again ... probably not ... but would I rescue again??? EVERY TIME!!!!

And don't give up on rescue ... we too prefer a fenced in yard, but as Twice said .. it's not a deal breaker for us either!!!

Bev gave me hope so I am going to explore it. I would love to give a rescue a home. It breaks my heart when I see them. I also just saw that article that was in the NY Daily News about how many are in rescue because they are the number 6 most wanted dog on the list.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
$4k and pet only with a limited registration. Too much if you ask me.
Beth, that's RIDICULOUS !! Maybe where your from things are a little different, but there's a lot of good breeders out there, that are affordable. In my honest opinion, I'd sit down, start doing the research, find a good breeder, check prices, then start checking references, If I am wrong, which I doubt, then I'd go with a senior from a Rescue, or adopt from a shelter. There's far to many today without jobs, and food, etc... and $4,000.00 for a puppy is RIDICULOUS, WITH LIMITED REGISTRATION, Did this breeder meet Winston Churchill himself and get a great, great, great grandson??? I mean Really?? I agree with your Hubby now, let him sit there and hold onto the puppies for a while, or perhaps things in New York, New York are a lot better than the rest of the world..... idk

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beth, that's RIDICULOUS !! Maybe where your from things are a little different, but there's a lot of good breeders out there, that are affordable. In my honest opinion, I'd sit down, start doing the research, find a good breeder, check prices, then start checking references, If I am wrong, which I doubt, then I'd go with a senior from a Rescue, or adopt from a shelter. There's far to many today without jobs, and food, etc... and $4,000.00 for a puppy is RIDICULOUS, WITH LIMITED REGISTRATION, Did this breeder meet Winston Churchill himself and get a great, great, great grandson??? I mean Really?? I agree with your Hubby now, let him sit there and hold onto the puppies for a while, or perhaps things in New York, New York are a lot better than the rest of the world..... idk
Things in NYC aren't all that much better than around the world. We are going to look into adopting. Better to help a pup in need than to feed greedy hands.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.