Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Should I get a new pup?

Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    wow that's a little crazy that they want that much more, totally understandable.
    I was shocked. I paid $3k for Raven and she was worth every single penny my husband had to scrape up for her, she was a dream come through gift to me. I really thought that $4k was a stretch.
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    I love bully puppies but the potty training is definitely the worst part. I had an angel when it came to Maggie. Daddy was a frickin' nightmare to potty train. And Linus was average.

Bella was the rescue so she came fully trained!!

I will say that it depends on the individual bully and don't expect the newbie to copy the behaviour from any existing pet. I wish it were that easy!!

Would I get a puppy again ... probably not ... but would I rescue again??? EVERY TIME!!!!

And don't give up on rescue ... we too prefer a fenced in yard, but as Twice said .. it's not a deal breaker for us either!!!
    Bev gave me hope so I am going to explore it. I would love to give a rescue a home. It breaks my heart when I see them. I also just saw that article that was in the NY Daily News about how many are in rescue because they are the number 6 most wanted dog on the list.
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

So how much was he? Was he a show prospect?

Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scueva View Post
    So how much was he? Was he a show prospect?
    $4k and pet only with a limited registration. Too much if you ask me.

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzymammabee View Post
    $4k and pet only with a limited registration. Too much if you ask me.
    Beth, that's RIDICULOUS !! Maybe where your from things are a little different, but there's a lot of good breeders out there, that are affordable. In my honest opinion, I'd sit down, start doing the research, find a good breeder, check prices, then start checking references, If I am wrong, which I doubt, then I'd go with a senior from a Rescue, or adopt from a shelter. There's far to many today without jobs, and food, etc... and $4,000.00 for a puppy is RIDICULOUS, WITH LIMITED REGISTRATION, Did this breeder meet Winston Churchill himself and get a great, great, great grandson??? I mean Really?? I agree with your Hubby now, let him sit there and hold onto the puppies for a while, or perhaps things in New York, New York are a lot better than the rest of the world..... idk

Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenRod View Post
    Beth, that's RIDICULOUS !! Maybe where your from things are a little different, but there's a lot of good breeders out there, that are affordable. In my honest opinion, I'd sit down, start doing the research, find a good breeder, check prices, then start checking references, If I am wrong, which I doubt, then I'd go with a senior from a Rescue, or adopt from a shelter. There's far to many today without jobs, and food, etc... and $4,000.00 for a puppy is RIDICULOUS, WITH LIMITED REGISTRATION, Did this breeder meet Winston Churchill himself and get a great, great, great grandson??? I mean Really?? I agree with your Hubby now, let him sit there and hold onto the puppies for a while, or perhaps things in New York, New York are a lot better than the rest of the world..... idk
    Things in NYC aren't all that much better than around the world. We are going to look into adopting. Better to help a pup in need than to feed greedy hands.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

That's crazy I'm looking at importing a puppy from Hungary with international champion parents for $4k + shipping . Some breeders in states are crazy, actually most are!

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

The Chicago rescue has a pre screening questionnaire and won't even allow you to submit an application if you tell them you have an unfenced pond. It's because of that that we ended up finding HRH the way we did.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Here we go again! Asking the addicts for help.

i say yes!
    I think you all know what my answer would be.

I think if you're going to get another get it now. While I did three puppies within a year of each other (it was chotic no doubt) I got all that potty training out of the way before I got set back in my ways. It's like having a baby no doubt. A male is a great choice!!

If you don't end up getting this one, do get another. One is a lonely number.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scueva View Post
    That's crazy I'm looking at importing a puppy from Hungary with international champion parents for $4k + shipping . Some breeders in states are crazy, actually most are!
    I really wanted him. Hubby is in love but I can't justify that kind of $.

Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LariP View Post
    The Chicago rescue has a pre screening questionnaire and won't even allow you to submit an application if you tell them you have an unfenced pond. It's because of that that we ended up finding HRH the way we did.
    Some rescues can be rather off putting. When my son was almost a year old and my girls were 8 and 5 I wanted to adopt a cat. I contacted a rescue and the lady was so nasty. Here I am an employed person with my own home and wanted to rescue a cat yet I was turned down. The lady essentially told me that I was a bad parent and potential pet owner because I wanted to bring a homeless cat into a safe loving home that had young children. I get that there is the potential for an animal to be hurt but I am a strong believer that everyone, both skin and fur kids, have to be supervised. I knew what type of children I had, I also knew that no matter what supervision is always a good thing. For the lady to say what she did was way out of line. When I showed the emails to an attorney that I work with she was appalled. I did end up getting a kitten through a friend of a friend and she is still alive and very much loved by the children that the lady said posed a danger to an animal.
    Last edited by Bizzymammabee; 05-18-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    I think you all know what my answer would be.

I think if you're going to get another get it now. While I did three puppies within a year of each other (it was chotic no doubt) I got all that potty training out of the way before I got set back in my ways. It's like having a baby no doubt. A male is a great choice!!

If you don't end up getting this one, do get another. One is a lonely number.
    That is what I keep telling myself...lol. I do want another. Raven is such a joy to have. When I discussed the whole new pup with hubby he took one look at her and was like hells yeah.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads