vacation dilemma

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Id like to ask everyone's opinion on a matter that has me extremely stressed. I don't travel or go away on vacation much but the few times I have Ive always left Chumley in the care of my 2 sons who live with me. Even then I was a nervous wreck because i know nobody cares for him or knows his needs like I do. They love him to death but they just don't spend the time with him that I do or know his schedule like me. This summer we all have to leave for 5 days on a family vacation/reunion type of deal. While I'd rather not go at all my hand is forced here. I've had offers from a few friends who have bulldogs to take Chumley into their homes for the 5 days. Ive also had offers from a friend to stop by various times during the day to feed and take him out for walks or exercise.
My question is this: Is it less stressful to leave him in his home for the 5 days where he is familiar with his surroundings or would it be better to allow someone to take him to theirs? If he stays home he gets very little attention other than walks and feedings but he remains in familiar territory. If he goes to someone else's house he has company and gets more attention during the day from a person who is familiar with the breed but it also uproots him from his home. I absolutely hate leaving him..even when we have gone away for a few days my kids tell me he acts depressed and wont eat and just sits by me bed.
So i have to make a choice..The one i want to make will be not to go at all but i already get enough comments from the wife about how i care more about the dog than her!
Any opinions? Home or away?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
For me, if my boys can go somewhere where they're familiar and I fully trust the caretaker, I'd prefer for them to be there, instead of leaving them at home. Maybe you can take him for visits to the place every so often prior to your vacation? That'll ease your worries plus Chumley will get familiar with the house.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'd leave him at home and hire a service to come in and play with him twice a day. Much easier on him.
You're in Long Island, right?
(Link removed)
Also, Petsmart. They have has a pick up and drop off service for doggie daycare, so Chumley can go have some fun, and all your boys have to do is be there when he gets picked up and dropped off.
I'm sure there's a lot more in your area.

Last edited by a moderator:

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
I have this exact issue as well. I have done both and been assurred by everyone that they are fine without me. It ruins my vacation to worry about them. I have been thinking about the possibility of renting a motor home and taking them with me on my next vacation.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Take him with you! That is what I would do... pet friendly hotel are every where now.

If that is not possible.... I always get a fmaily member to come spend the nights. The pups are use to be home and sleeping all day so if some one is with him in his house at night... I feel best that way if they can not come with me.

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
Usually my daughter & family watch Jenna, but when she can't I have a friend with 2 dogs and we start about 2 weeks before vacation to take Jenna over to visit and play with the other dogs probably twice a week...I prefer that instead of her being home alone except for a twice a day visit...she seems to be fine with it but she also very adjustable to different situations

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We use a pet sitter in our area and they stay home. He comes by 3 times a day to let them out and feed them. If you trust and know the people who have the others bullies and your bully knows them, then they would also do well there and get more attention. We have kept several friends of ours bullies for them when they have gone on vacation and their bullies had a good time as they received plenty of attention from us and got to play with our bullies and it went well for them. So I think either way would be fine.

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
I've done both. Pet sitter with daily periodic visits but I did this only when I was gone for less than 3 days. Anything more than that, my pets either went to a boarding facility or to a friends house. Hope you have a good vacation!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon does much better at home, if we have to board him he doesn't eat and starts to shed like crazy. Also if anyone is looking for pet friendly vacation suggestions check out bring fido dot com, we found a house rental on the outerbanks in NC through there that we can bring Bacon with us to.

stephannerobles

Apr 20, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Khloe (female) Bettis aKa Fattie (male)
If u can take him with. I no my babies love visiting new places. If u can't my 2nd choice would b to have a friend or family member stay at my place with them. If I only had ur two choices though I would take him to ur friends hm. My male gets a little down when I leave too and leaving him alone could make it worse. At lease if he's at a friends hm and something happens he'll have someone there to tend to him. I for sure would never ever hire a stranger to come in ur hm to take care of ur baby. Just take him to ur friend's hm a few times before going. Then u can c how he is at their place and maybe give u some peace that he'll b ok.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Id like to ask everyone's opinion on a matter that has me extremely stressed. I don't travel or go away on vacation much but the few times I have Ive always left Chumley in the care of my 2 sons who live with me. Even then I was a nervous wreck because i know nobody cares for him or knows his needs like I do. They love him to death but they just don't spend the time with him that I do or know his schedule like me. This summer we all have to leave for 5 days on a family vacation/reunion type of deal. While I'd rather not go at all my hand is forced here. I've had offers from a few friends who have bulldogs to take Chumley into their homes for the 5 days. Ive also had offers from a friend to stop by various times during the day to feed and take him out for walks or exercise. My question is this: Is it less stressful to leave him in his home for the 5 days where he is familiar with his surroundings or would it be better to allow someone to take him to theirs? If he stays home he gets very little attention other than walks and feedings but he remains in familiar territory. If he goes to someone else's house he has company and gets more attention during the day from a person who is familiar with the breed but it also uproots him from his home. I absolutely hate leaving him..even when we have gone away for a few days my kids tell me he acts depressed and wont eat and just sits by me bed. So i have to make a choice..The one i want to make will be not to go at all but i already get enough comments from the wife about how i care more about the dog than her! Any opinions? Home or away?
Leaving him with your two boys is not an option, Telling your wife your not going will land you in an eskimo igloo made for 1 for a long time, NOT an option trust me... if I were you, and my vacation destination was within driving distance, usually they are, or is a consideration, I would call someone in the town i'm visiting, and schedule boarding Chumley their, Now Chumleys in capable hands, and you can visit while on your vacation, best of both worlds, If your drive is a bit far but still a consideration, check out motel 6, Not glamorous I assure you, but MOST are pet friendly.... If your flying to your vacation destination, your going to be stuck with one of the other two options, being at home or with someone who is knowledgeable with Bully's, which that would be my choice, leaving Rocky unattended even in my home isn't something I would be very considerate of, too much like leaving a toddler unattended while you run out and check the mail, too much can happen to quick when these guys get a notion to explore. Just my opinion, and perhaps a better idea for you... Hope one of these options will help.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We have a petsitter who comes to our home..if I were choosing between the two choices you have, I say much better to be with people and especially Bully People..than be alone with someone just checking in! :)

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
I have only had to leave mine once and when I did I left them at home and my Step Mother came over and spent all day with them. They were only alone at night. Any other time I take them with me, I aboslutely refuse to board them anywhere. Thats the whole reason I own a camper!!

Good luck!!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
We went on vacation for 9 days this past November. I had my sister stay in the house with Raven so it was a familiar space. It was great because my sister wasn't working at the time so she was able to stay home the whole time with her. Good luck figuring it out. If you know your boys won't give your baby as much attention as necessary it might be a good idea to use the friend that has a bully. Just take your baby over for playdates so he will be familiar with the other house, dog and sitter. Good idea to see if the dogs will be compatible hanging out, better to know ahead of time if you have to opt for having a dog walker come in to your home instead.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.