How to glue back a bully ear in Michigan.

choppmoney

Feb 15, 2011
Algonac, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
pelee's union "jack" daniels
I need a suggestion of who to take my new bully puppy to get an ear glued back. I know that there's videos online that show how, but I want to make sure that I do it right. I live close to the Metro Detroit area and I hope someone out there knows somebody that can help. Any suggestions or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

William Sengstock

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Maybe someone will know..if so they will come along shortly.. Most of us don't glue the ears..I love the ears the "natural" way! Your Bully is adorable! :)

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
It's often done by the vet during a regular appointment for shots and stuff, usually before the pup leaves the breeder.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have never glued ears and let them rose naturally. I don't think I have had one puppy yet whose didn't do it on their own. I have heard many horror stories about gluing ears and unless you plan on being in the show ring I would recommend letting them come to be whatever they are. They usually rose up between 8-16 weeks of age.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Oh, I thought either this was a joke or you were talking about glueing the ear back on a statue. I've never heard of "glueing a bulldog ear" - learn something new everyday. Wow

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Oooohhhhhh, unless it is for show purposes, please don't do it! My breeder glues the ears back, and I specifically asked her NOT to do Bogey's! The day we picked him up, his left ear was glued. I was not happy but she pooh-poohed it saying the glue would wear off in time. 6 weeks later, he still had a clump of glue which my vet said I needed to start "peeling" off, little by little. Easier said than done! When I peeled the glue, his hair and some skin came too" he yelped EVERYTIME I went near it! It took me 4 days to get it all off, he had open abrasions that I had to treat 2 x day with neosporin and when they finally healed, he had no hair in those spots!! Hair has now grown back, but it was awful and I feel, completely unnecessary. I agree with letting the ears fall naturally. Of course, if your mission is to show, that may be a different story. Good luck!

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
Why would you want to do something that prevented your dog from moving his ears naturally and potentially having skin irritations etc to the glue ? If my ears weren't up to my family's standards, would I want them to use Super Glue on them ? ummm no ! Is this necessary for some reason or simply a cosmetic ?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
My breeder does this too. In fact, I didn't know she glued Blues ears until she said "come back in a month if they don't fall right, we'll glue them again" :eek:. They weren't glued when we picked him up so had no idea she did it.

I do know that dogs with floppy ears are predisposed to ear infections, so maybe it's a good thing to get them glued if they don't rose naturally? (I'd like to believe that the reason for doing it is not purely cosmetic).

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Holy moly! I never even heard of this! I have no idea if the Diva has 'Rose Ears' either...:confused:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Oooohhhhhh, unless it is for show purposes, please don't do it! My breeder glues the ears back, and I specifically asked her NOT to do Bogey's! The day we picked him up, his left ear was glued. I was not happy but she pooh-poohed it saying the glue would wear off in time. 6 weeks later, he still had a clump of glue which my vet said I needed to start "peeling" off, little by little. Easier said than done! When I peeled the glue, his hair and some skin came too" he yelped EVERYTIME I went near it! It took me 4 days to get it all off, he had open abrasions that I had to treat 2 x day with neosporin and when they finally healed, he had no hair in those spots!! Hair has now grown back, but it was awful and I feel, completely unnecessary. I agree with letting the ears fall naturally. Of course, if your mission is to show, that may be a different story. Good luck!

OMG that's horrible! We didn't have that problem with Blue. I'm guessing she got all of it out before we got him or yeah, I would of been peeved too.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I know of some show breeders will glue them, but we have never glued any of our pups and their ears always come out great by themselves, and we have several show pups out there. So if I were you I would not glue them.

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
Never heard of it until now. But I do know the breed standard calls for rose bud type of ears. I saw that on the Bulldog club of America website. Lots of information on the proper confirmation of the EBD there. As for the benefit of it, I can see how it can aid in keeping ears clean and having less ear infections. I watched a youtube video of the process and it does not seem painful or would cause harm.

To the OP, I'm originally from Detroit and not quite sure where you can go to get the ears glued. I would think this may have occured at the breeder around 45 days old. I would also suggest asking your vet for more information if you truly are interested in having this done. Greenfield Animal Hospital is where I took my dogs for years until I relocated to Georgia.

As with many decisions as a pet owner, you do what's best for you and your household. All the best!

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Tyler's ears were not glued when we got him. His ears fell forward and kept the moisture in, ear infections one after another all his life. Rudy's ears were glued and we re-glued them as needed. The ears kept the rose ear shape. With Mila we tried to keep he ears glued but being the crazy little white dog she is, she has always played so hard with Rudy she pulled them loose. She now has bat ears but at least they are not closed up. Btw she is deaf so she doesn't even use her ears lol

Odessa

Apr 9, 2013
BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker & in extended family his dad Diesel & cousin Odessa
I glued Tuckers to prevent ear infections. Odessa has had so many over the years I wanted to prevent Tucker from going through the same thing if possible.
Tucker didn't like the glue and was scratching at it, after the second day I pulled it all of and let is sit all week to rest. The two days they were glued really made a difference, they went from very floppy to sitting back. I am going to finish it off with another round over a couple more days, but this time I will use medical tape on the ears and glue the tape so he isn't irritated. Here is a link to someone using a similar method.

http://www.bulldogs.lv/en/statji-podklejka-ushej

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online