Grass is the DEVIL!

KirbysPops

May 14, 2013
Orange Park, Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kirby
My bully refuses to go into the grass to go to the bathroom. He instead, goes into the middle of the road and does his business (I am usually greeted by a car when im picking it up). It has always been a problem since day 1 and I know sometimes the hard patches hurt his toes so I understand. Does anyone have to use some sort of bootie or sock/shoe on their bully to get them to go out? We are moving at the end of the month and I would like to get him to start using the grass because we will have a fenced in backyard.....any suggestions?

mbd963

May 12, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ramsay
I'm planning to house train my puppy on puppy pads, and this is why I'm reluctant. I'm afraid that when he's outside in the grass, he won't want to go!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We have the opposite issue with Bacon if we are somewhere that there isn't grass, and clean grass he won't go. Sorry for being useless, good luck.

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
OMG i would have never thought that could be an issue!! I hope someone can provide some good advice!!

Do you give him a command to poop/pee? If so, just keep him inside until you are 100% sure he NEEDS to go, then take him to the grass and walk him around, repeating the word until he goes. Then as he's going give him massive amounts of praise. Rinse and repeat.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Try putting the puppy pads on the grass and telling him to go. See if that helps. I know people have done that and the puppy has connected that they should be using the grass.

Buster will really only play with his toys outside on grass, he cant stand his toys being on brick or concrete.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Yeah, my bullys are the opposite too. They try not to go on concrete/asphalt when we're walking - they always try to walk on the grass while I walk on the concrete. I think it's too rough on their pads. So yes, they go on the grass too.

Maybe you can fence off an area in your backyard and put soft turf on it and send him there to do his bidnez.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow... first I heard of this. So bizarre... even as a pup or is this a rescue bully?

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
My bully refuses to go into the grass to go to the bathroom. He instead, goes into the middle of the road and does his business (I am usually greeted by a car when im picking it up). It has always been a problem since day 1 and I know sometimes the hard patches hurt his toes so I understand. Does anyone have to use some sort of bootie or sock/shoe on their bully to get them to go out? We are moving at the end of the month and I would like to get him to start using the grass because we will have a fenced in backyard.....any suggestions?
Coty, your the ultimate pack leader, your the one the pack follows, your the leader of your pet. Your Alpha, your bully is Beta, That said, you need to lead your bully where to do his business, whether like for me for instance, I take Rocky to the rear corner of my property, he sniffs a few times and squats, it's a routine. The road, Blacktop or Asphalt is harder on his paws than the grass could ever be, In my opinion alone, your bully is leading you, which isn't good. You set the standards, the training, the tone, the schedule, your bully follows. Right now your bully is setting the agenda, and that's not a good thing for a pet. I've had pets that refused to go into wet grass, or out in the rain, but i've always led my pets to a safe, secure place to do their business, and they get use to it fairly quickly, it's all a routine. The grass hold scents that all pets love to sniff, it's natural for them a lot of times to put their nose to the wind, pick up a scent and go that direction, or try to lead you. Have you tried finding out what it is about the grass your bully doesn't like, old grass sometimes has sand spurs in it, that will stop or discourage your bully, wet grass against his tummy if your Bully doesn't like water will discourage, You as pack leader have to find out what it is, and provide a work around and leadership. :-) Hope this helps.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Maybe he doesn't like the grass touching his bum :whistle: These babies all have their little quirks. I would suggest you just keep in the grassed area and he will get used to it.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I can tell you remi hates it when the grass is over a certain length. But even still. He'll go there because I say so.

I don't know, I would do this the old fashion way. If he pees or poohs anywhere other than the grass, give him a firm no, take him to the grass mid act and then praise the crap out of him when he goes there. No pun intended!

These bullys are our babies, i know, but you gotta draw a line somewhere sister!

Do you play with him on the grass and let him find enjoyment in it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I would be bit worried a car will come and not see him there, I think you need to stop him going in the road and train him to go on the grass 😧

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

OHMYGOODNESS! I read your post and thought, "There's a problem here?" LOL

Bo and Bea both potty on rocks or grass -- and they have both available in their dog yard (or "meadow" as I am currently calling it). I would LOVE it if they both only peed on the rocks. (or in your case, the cement) Bea's pee turns the grass yellow while Bo's does not. The other side affect to the rock-peeing is this: Bo pees the SECOND he gets off the steps and that means MUCH built up pee pee under the rocks. Add that it never dries out there (shady, moist side of the garden already) and you've got yourself a stinky stinky situation! You step out onto the porch and, in the heat, it's nose burning. Seriously. Nose burning. Solution? I went out and got a few boxes of baking soda and liberally applied one of them to the rocks area (river rock path) and "stomped in" the baking soda so it would fall betwixt the rocks. Baking soda is a naturally occurring substance so it doesn't mess with my organic fung shey around here. WORKED GREAT!!!!!

Perhaps you could make a gravel area for peeing in your new yard? I'm telling ya, you won't regret it! Makes pick up and clean up a BREEZE!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh I have some great suggestions and will be back later. I went through this with Jack (our pitty rescue at 4 months) and now Sally. I have success with Jack and Sally is getting there but she did pee on the concrete steps this morning. They will get it though!! I'll be back.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.