Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Internet search on how to "hobble" your puppy. This is what was wrong with Orion. She couldn't walk using her hind legs until she was 7 weeks and that was AFTER we hobbled her. Basically you secure the back legs together so they don't "split"....just enough so they are secure. They have to be able to walk. Less than a week of hobbling, Orion could walk on her own. Here is some video of her hobbled. She did not leave her mom until she was 10 weeks old.
Before hobbling.
http://youtu.be/GzZxQLYgCpg

During hobbling..she is 6 weeks old here.
http://youtu.be/JSjEC3fc88M

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], Lisa is it possible that this baby boy may just be slower than the average puppy since he hasn't had mums influence? I'm just wondering if maybe he's just a bit slow in developing? I'm hoping when @jiwamon shares pics we will get a better idea.
I know Chevy wasnt swimmer but he did present like that at first so maybe a pic of him early on might help @jiwamon see what it looks like xx

It certainly could. Hobbling like [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] said is a good idea too, I just found the corral to be easier. The one pictured is for a very small pup, we also have a corral for larger pups. Anything you can find to help footing and grip will be good.

To test if his legs actually work, hold 3 legs up and test one hind leg, by putting the paw upside down, they should automatically refex it to go forward in normal position. This will tell you if there is any spinal issues or is missing any feeling. You can also pinch the toes to see if he will pull back. If so these are good signs and he is likely just behind in developing.

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I was going to say maybe its because he pup is so young. I seen videos of puppy's who do that they are usually really young. I would definitely listen to some of the advice given to you. And wish u the best of luck.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The experience is here for you..... I do not have any or knowledge to help, but will send prayers and positive thoughts to you and Maximus

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Welcome and congrats on the puppy! I just saw a video on YouTube about this exact same thing and thought I would share.

Hope you find it helpful!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and sorry I'm late, been a busy day at work today. He does sound like a swimmer and you have some great advise above to help him. I can not believe that the person who bred these pups let them go so soon, even if the mom would not take care of them, you still keep them until at least 8 weeks and they will still pick up things from mom and the other dogs if they have others dogs. He is a cutie of a pup and you have your work cut out for you. Just keep exercising those rear legs and he will be scampering along before you know it.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
You have the experts here working with you and all I can say is hang in there; I am absolutely no help on this one, just wanted to wish you the best and tell you your puppy is absolutely beautiful and well worth the work. Our prayers are with you.

OP
J

jiwamon

May 14, 2013
Country
Malaysia
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
We brought him back to the breeder, and once Maxi saw his little sister, he seems happy and energetic. ^_^

We left him there for now, hearing all the suggestion that they learn from their litter mates as well. We will be bringing him back again in 2-3 weeks!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=8850]jiwamon[/MENTION] I'm late getting in here. You say you only have slippery surfaces and you are using a towel. try to wrinkle the towel up or better yet a large blanket so puppy has to climb up and over. you can use a towel on the blanket in case of poop and pee accidents. footing is very important and to be honest some pups do start to travel latter than others especially ones not accepted by mama. they lack the nutrients that only mom's milk can provide. How are things going today with the tiny one? please keep us posted
:2thumbs:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
We brought him back to the breeder, and once Maxi saw his little sister, he seems happy and energetic. ^_^

We left him there for now, hearing all the suggestion that they learn from their litter mates as well. We will be bringing him back again in 2-3 weeks!

I will be praying over all the puppies, that they thrive and develop normally
and especially for your adorable Maximus (love his name)...I had 2 Catahoula
brothers, 100 lb dogs named King Leonidas (after the Greek King in 300) and
Beowulf, we called them Leo & Beo. Noble names for noble dogs, so right!

Mother bullies do sometimes turn away from the babies...because they deliver
by C-section, they do not bond w/their babies like they would w/normal birthing.
Normal birthing allows them to clean their babies thereby strengthening the bond
between them. It's sad to hear 3 babies died
:*(...it will be good for Maximus to be
w/his litter mate...do they know to exercise their legs & how to do it?

OP
J

jiwamon

May 14, 2013
Country
Malaysia
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus

I will be praying over all the puppies, that they thrive and develop normally
and especially for your adorable Maximus (love his name)...I had 2 Catahoula
brothers, 100 lb dogs named King Leonidas (after the Greek King in 300) and
Beowulf, we called them Leo & Beo. Noble names for noble dogs, so right!

Mother bullies do sometimes turn away from the babies...because they deliver
by C-section, they do not bond w/their babies like they would w/normal birthing.
Normal birthing allows them to clean their babies thereby strengthening the bond
between them. It's sad to hear 3 babies died
:*(...it will be good for Maximus to be
w/his litter mate...do they know to exercise their legs & how to do it?

I like their name! Haha, they know how to do it. The owner has about 4-5 English Bulldogs, she's a EBD lover.

@jiwamon I'm late getting in here. You say you only have slippery surfaces and you are using a towel. try to wrinkle the towel up or better yet a large blanket so puppy has to climb up and over. you can use a towel on the blanket in case of poop and pee accidents. footing is very important and to be honest some pups do start to travel latter than others especially ones not accepted by mama. they lack the nutrients that only mom's milk can provide. How are things going today with the tiny one? please keep us posted
:2thumbs:

Thank you! I was hoping that may be the problem too. The floor may be too slippery for him to learn how to walk. It seems like whenever his leg gets slipped, he just simply gave up walking.

He is still with his litter mate right now, I will be bringing him back in a week or 2. I can't wait to see the little fella again, might be going over to see him tonight!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.