Just got Maximus, somethings wrong with the legs

jiwamon

May 14, 2013
Country
Malaysia
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hello guys, I just got my own English Bulldog from my sister's friend, who has a pair of English Bulldogs, and as soon as they breed, they gave them to pet-loving friends. My sister knew I loved English Bulldog, and they decided to give me one. I got him for a week now, and named him Maximus, Max/Maxi for short. He is 4 weeks old, 4 days to 5 weeks old. What I have noticed about him is that, he doesn't know how to walk yet, and he doesn't really use his back/hind legs, when he crawls, his back legs looks like frog legs trying to swim or something. So I went to search on the internet, and realize that these puppies needs to be with their mother after birth, I then asked my sister to maybe return to them and return to the parents first before handing it to us, as it may need some training from the mom, but I was told that the mom actually deserted the babies since birth and dislikes the poor puppies, so we had to fed Maxi through baby bottles (as big as my finger). He seems to be growing well, but I am just scared that somethings wrong and he is not able to walk? Am I being silly or should I be scared? I tried searching the internet and found that the mother has to push the puppies butt up to teach them how to walk, I have been trying that for awhile now. What I find in the internet is that this may be because of gene problems, but the parents are absolutely fine, and they are pure bred English Bulldogs.

Today Maxi started crying and barking really loud after finish drinking his milk, I didn't know what was wrong so we went to the vet. It was just a simple stomachache because of not being able to litter for a day. I managed to ask them the question about the walking ability, they told me they are afraid that Maxi might have the "flatchest" disease, and asked me to exercise the hind legs often. I am extremely afraid, and feel bad for the poor baby, he has yet to see the world and what if he grows up unable to walk? I really love this puppy as he seems to be able to make me happy and smile. :nope:

And I apologize if I posted in the wrong section, please let me know where should I post this.

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
welcome to EBN.....and congrats on your new bully........so sorry to hear about the troubles you are having :( that is awful young to be taken away from the mom, I know the mom teaches the puppy so much in the first few weeks......hopefully someone here can get you answers to help you along.....

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my i am sorry for your predicament. i am thinking [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] will be able to help on this one as she had a pup like that not to long ago. i dont understand some of these breeders who do these kind of things. im thinking perhaps some more vet visits maybe in order if the legs dont straighten out. bless you for wanting to help this pup. :) im hoping its nothing.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
How horrible that the breeder let this pup go so young! I know in Ct is is ILLEGAL to release a pup before 8 weeks! I have never heard of a reputable breeder letting a pup go before 8 weeks! Hopefully someone with litter experience will be along to get you through the next few weeks, as that is the foundation your pup will need to be healthy. Hopefully you have a vet with bulldog knowledge. Good luck and keep us posted.

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
I have no experience with this at all, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your Maximus. I hope that it is a minor issue that can be corrected easily.

OP
J

jiwamon

May 14, 2013
Country
Malaysia
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hey guys, thanks a lot. I'll be taking a picture of Maximus soon.

From my understanding, the mother of the puppies left them after giving birth, the mother threaten to bite the poor puppies that the vet had to separate them away. After 1-2 weeks, they tried to put the puppies closer to the mother again, hoping that she'd accept them, but she got very furious and tried to bite them. There were 6 puppies, 3 pass away within 2 weeks, and this 3 survived.

I'm not sure what's wrong, but I've read around the internet, and read that these puppies will be put to sleep if they can't really walk at all.. I feel so sad reading that. : (

Maximus is a very cheerful and energetic little EBD, he actually turned over to his tummy and played with me, I was surprised that a 4 weeks old puppy could understand enjoyment because previously he only knew how to sleep and all.

I can see that the hind legs has some strength to them, he actually stood up and walked 3 steps before falling down and pushing again like a frog. Should I be afraid? I am very sad to know that the poor little guy might not be able to walk. : (

might be able to give you some advise....4 weeks is awfully young for him to be away from his mum and the rest of the litter though.
Effectively it appears that you are hand rearing a young pup so they may be able to give you advise on what would be best, as there is a lot of stuff that you will need to do that his mum would have done for him.
I have no experience of breeding or such young puppies but hopefully someone will soon come and help you.
in the mean time it would be helpful if you can get a couple of pics up of your baby boy so that we can visualise the problem.

welcome to EBN.....and congrats on your new bully........so sorry to hear about the troubles you are having :( that is awful young to be taken away from the mom, I know the mom teaches the puppy so much in the first few weeks......hopefully someone here can get you answers to help you along.....

oh my i am sorry for your predicament. i am thinking will be able to help on this one as she had a pup like that not to long ago. i dont understand some of these breeders who do these kind of things. im thinking perhaps some more vet visits maybe in order if the legs dont straighten out. bless you for wanting to help this pup. :) im hoping its nothing.

How horrible that the breeder let this pup go so young! I know in Ct is is ILLEGAL to release a pup before 8 weeks! I have never heard of a reputable breeder letting a pup go before 8 weeks! Hopefully someone with litter experience will be along to get you through the next few weeks, as that is the foundation your pup will need to be healthy. Hopefully you have a vet with bulldog knowledge. Good luck and keep us posted.

I have no experience with this at all, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your Maximus. I hope that it is a minor issue that can be corrected easily.

Just wanted to say good luck, David and Lisa should be along shortly with some more advice.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Okay take a deep breath, I think what we have here is a case of swimmer legs more than likely, is your pup on the chubby side? This can happen with really chubby puppies, they are just too heavy to carry their weight. The best thing to do is get their legs underfoot and don't waste any time doing so. If you don't the bones are soft and he may continue to stay this way.

Get two boards and line them next to each other, so that there is just enough room for the width of his body. Place him in the "corral" for many hours throughout the day. This will keep his legs under him and not allow them to splay outward. Also make sure his bedding is lumpy and not slippery, that it has grip. You can get no slip stuff to use.

Let me see if I can't find a picture to give you a visual.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368538931.877644.jpg

OP
J

jiwamon

May 14, 2013
Country
Malaysia
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
View attachment 42859

Okay take a deep breath, I think what we have here is a case of swimmer legs more than likely, is your pup on the chubby side? This can happen with really chubby puppies, they are just too heavy to carry their weight. The best thing to do is get their legs underfoot and don't waste any time doing so. If you don't the bones are soft and he may continue to stay this way.

Get two boards and line them next to each other, so that there is just enough room for the width of his body. Place him in the "corral" for many hours throughout the day. This will keep his legs under him and not allow them to splay outward. Also make sure his bedding is lumpy and not slippery, that it has grip. You can get no slip stuff to use.

Let me see if I can't find a picture to give you a visual.

I am afraid this little Maximus might break through the barrier, he seems to be on the naughty side, never want to stay calm. I will try this. Thanks a lot! He is currently using towels as his beddings, he seems to be slippery as you mentioned, we don't have any carpet area. Our floor is very slippery too. What should I do with this? Should I buy some carpets just for his area?

I am not sure if he's chubby, but he has a very big stomach.

Yes..I just want to wish you good luck too. Maximus deserves a fighting chance..

Thank you!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bless you for taking Maximus under your wing! You will get great advice (you've gotten some already) and we will be praying for a happy healthy pup in the coming weeks! Keep the pics and progress coming!!

OP
J

jiwamon

May 14, 2013
Country
Malaysia
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I can't seems to get a picture of him having his leg at the back. It's pretty late here so I can't go out to buy some non slip mat. Does brick work as the board? I will wash and then wrap it up with towel to use as boards and corral him up.

He just ate his, here are some pictures! : )

He's always trying to pull and kick using his back leg to move.

img1973r.jpg

He stands up and falls again, and be a frog all over again

img1964c.jpg

Just him eating.

img1971t.jpg

I'll never be able to get a direct picture of his face, I think he's camera shy.

img1968k.jpg

And last but not least.. A SLEEPING FROG!

img1949er.jpg

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I don't have any advice for this, but I just wanted to say welcome & good luck! You will get lots of great advice here! Max is such a cutie!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.