Vets, dogs needing immediate attention and appointments

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I'm having trouble grasping that some of you mention calling your vet because your dog has a problem needing immediate attention and being told you have to wait days or weeks to be seen. If one of my animals needs immediate attention, I just pick the dog or cat up and go to the vet's office. My vet (there are 3 in the practice) is not an emergency vet. The few times I've required overnight care, the animal was stabilized and I transported it to the Emergency Vet's office for the night. If it's early in the day I do have to do a drop off and pick up at the end of the day but the animal gets seen that day. When I had an end of the day emergency, the vet stayed past closing to do the required treatment make sure the pup was stabilized. I know if I called before bringing in the staff would leave the phone and let the vet know what was going on and then come back and give me instructions on the next steps.

Do folks not let the receptionists know they are dealing with obvious pain or injury and the fact that the dog needs immediate attention? I find that hard to believe but I also find it hard to believe the vet is so structure bound and busy there is no time for emergency type of appointments. I know my vet is very well respected and has a very busy practice but I would have thought all decent vets would do the same as whet I'm used to. Is the fact that I will deal with any of the 3 vets in the practice in these instances rather than insisting on my preferred one part of it? Is the fact that pretty much all the staff knows me part of it? Help me out here folks.:confused:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have a vet similar to your vet... they leave emergency time slots through out the day for such cases. However, we are not all that lucky nor are we all in proximity of a vet that does work in that manner.

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I guess that's it. I just thought all vets worked that way or something. I was commenting on the vets, not the posters. I know folks around here wouldn't settle for less than the best for their dogs.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
My vet does house calls. She can't really drop all her appointments to fill me in. So I have the address and number of the closest 24/7 emergency clinic she's affiliated with. In case of emergency, that's where I'd take Blue and they'd contact her.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well if I had a vet that would not take in an emergency case, I would find another vet. Our vet will take them in even if we get there right at closing time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I guess that's it. I just thought all vets worked that way or something. I was commenting on the vets, not the posters. I know folks around here wouldn't settle for less than the best for their dogs.

I know a few people that have vet offices that work like human doctor office... only take so many appointments per day and if they can fit you in, they will - outside of that hopefully, there is a 24/7 ER nearby.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We have never had an issues getting an appointment on short notice with our vet, there are other vet's in the practice that we could use as well but have never had to.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I also think that everyone's definition of "emergency" is different. Most busy vets probably consider a dog in life threatening condition a true emergency while a dog that is in pain but stable is not a true emergency.

That said, our vet has always been prepared to take us in when we need an appointment, which is one of the advantages of going to a vet with several locations - because even if it's NOT a true emergency, someone can see us! :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.