Trick learned from the vet!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
So Lucy is losing teeth and gaining her adult teeth and that causes her to chew on everything! So when we went to the vet yesterday for her shots we started talking about it. He said if you get a kong toy like this
pPETS-3756477_alternate1_dt.jpg
Or like one of the puppies ones
pPETS-5056629dt.jpg
And you put peanut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese, ect really the options are endless but the trick is you add garlic powder to it! I have no idea why this works but he said dogs go nuts for garlic powder. I thought that sounded crazy to I cam home and tried it, I used all natural peanut butter and added in garlic powder mixed it all up and fill the kong then you freeze it tell it is totally solid. I did that over night last night woke up this morning and after breakfast when she was acting bored and starting to chew I took it out gave it to her and it has been two hours now and she is still at it! I don't see much left inside but she is making sure she gets it all! I think she is going to need a nap after this!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
A nap and breath freshener!! Will give it a try!!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I have one of those black Kongs as well but have only once tried something inside but never froze it. I wondered how do they get the stuff inside out with such a small hole?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm surprised he said use garlic powder as too much garlic is toxic to dogs. They love peanut butter just by itself.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I was shocked when it told me that as well! I think regular peanut butter frozen would do the trick too. The frozen feeling has to feel good when they are teething plus they get a little snack. I have no idea how they get it out of the middle but Lucy did I even hurt a few sucking sounds so she is one happy girls now!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I have two kongs -- one for each, of course -- and Bo is adept at getting WHATEVER I've crammed into that thing. I mean, it's miraculous how quickly he does it too. Bea isn't as speedy and will most often lose interest so Bo goes in for the clean up.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's a great idea! Frozen yogurt and peanut butter would be great on a hot day, thanks for putting this up.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Minus the garlic powder.... I have been freezong these bad boys for years.... Banks and Cheli LOVE them!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I just did this again with banana and peanut butter and she went crazy over it again! I think we found something that works!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I'm surprised he said use garlic powder as too much garlic is toxic to dogs. They love peanut butter just by itself.

I was thinking the same thing when I first read that, I think I asked you about garlic when I first joined EBN

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.