Pet Safety Restraints.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Rocky loves car rides, and I have a 4 door Super cab truck, in which I put Rocky in the back seat. I've noticed, that he gets so excited by the car ride, He moves one window to the next, Then tries to climb from the back seat to the front seat over the center console. I know this isn't a safe way for Rocky to be in my vehicle, But this is the first Pet i've ever had that wants to go for a car ride every time he walks out the door also.My questions are these, Do you use a Pet Restraint for car rides, and if so, what kind, where do you find them, and how does your pet react to being restrained? Thank You...

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
yes sir, Pet smart has um for around $10 you hook it to a seatbelt buckle then onto Rocky's harness (never his coller!!) he can still move a bit, but not too far, plus if you have to stop short you won't have a bully projectile!!

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
yes sir, Pet smart has um for around $10 you hook it to a seatbelt buckle then onto Rocky's harness (never his coller!!) he can still move a bit, but not too far, plus if you have to stop short you won't have a bully projectile!!
Thank You, I'll stop by my local pet smart and pick me one up, maybe it will help to keep him still also.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
This is a good question..I know in California, they are proposing all dogs be restrained in crates or a harness system. I have seen the ones at Petsmart!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
We have a harness on Ftse and then a clip from the harness to the seatbelt otherwise he would be climbing all over the car this way I know he is safe if I need to stop in a hurry and everyone else in the car is safe too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
My car is 'The Dog Car' (Toyota Corolla) both bullies wear their harnesses in the car, and I have attached a horse lead
( http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...24-lead-chain-24-in-brass-plated?cm_vc=-10005 ) the one end has the clip, that clips to their harness, the other end, I have a quick link
( http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/national-hardwarereg;-3167bc-3-8-quick-link-stainless-steel ) which is attached to the hard contacts of the Backseat (where you would attach a childs safety seat to). The 24 Inch leads were just a little too long, so I tied a knot in them to shorten just a bit. They stay permanently to the car, so we hook and go ! They have enough room to sit up, look around, lay down. I have had to slam on the breaks with the bullies riding before, and they rig works great !

This is the best way of explaining what I came up with, without running outside at 3am, and trying to take a picture ! LOL

We originally tried a shortened leash, but Gizmo liked to chew on it too much ! so the metal chain works best :)

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
was at Pet Smart yesterday, looking for the seat belt restraint for Rocky, lol, I'm not a bad driver or a fast driver, but Rocky is like a drunk sailer swaying in the car, and can't be still, He loves car rides way to much not to have a seat belt restraint. Rocky's harness is padded for comfort, and it snaps together at the top of his back under two "D" rings, the clip under the "D" rings is made from "Plastic" this is the first problem, because with a leash on Rocky, if the plastic clip broke, the "D" rings would still hold him, the plastic clip under neath, I don't have faith in as far as an accident or whatever, Because the Restraints at Pet smart all attach under the Harness and around the seat belt, Therefore you have the leash like material attached under a plastic clip. The store manager and co-worker were all there, and for some reason Pet Smart stopped carrying the belt that clipped to the metal "D" rings in liue of going cheaper, but I dont trust the plastic to hold rocky if Rocky started to struggle with it, or if I had an accident, I really feel the plastic would give under Rocky's strengh. So I left Pet Smart totally dissapointed. There's got to be a better way, If I could find a good leather strap with 2 leash like attachments on the end, that would encircle the seat belt and attach to both "D" rings keeping him secure and in place, anyone know where I can find one of these jewels??

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3951211&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/NoThis is what we use. Works perfectly well! Matilda is the same way. She would run all over the car and end up stuck between the seats (usually face first, butt in the air). She now knows that the seatbelt means ride-in-the-car and gets ecstatic when I pull it out! haha
I seen this one there yesterday, Rocky has a harness, a new one, One thing I wanted to do is eliminate having to take one harness off to put a different one on him especially in the car. They had a belt, the seatbelt ran through it and clicked, then the lead attached to the "D" rings of his harness, Thats the part I was looking for. Now other than the harness you have the picture of, they had another belt, with a metal clip, sorta forked clip that goes around Rocky's Harness then around the seat belt and keeps him fastened, but under those "D" rings is a plastic clip on Rockys harness, One good tug and he would be loose again. Pet Smart has no idea why they stopped carrying them, and we all looked at the harness you have, and we evaluated the Harness Rocky is wearing, I think i'm going to have to do a little more research to find on that will clip to his "D" rings and encircle the seatbelt from somewhere.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Both harnesses I have purchased came with a restraint. Both a bit different but idea is the same. So a simple fix is if you already have a snap on collar you can loop it alround the seat belt and through the D ring on back of harness

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Both harnesses I have purchased came with a restraint. Both a bit different but idea is the same. So a simple fix is if you already have a snap on collar you can loop it alround the seat belt and through the D ring on back of harness
I'm going to have to get some measurements, To get it long enough that he can stand, sit and lay, but not roam, and also get the strap or color small enough to go through his D Rings but strong enough to hold him. Thats what i'm looking for now, and Pet smart use to carry it, but they stopped and they didnt even know why.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Build your own custom one, that is what Dottie and I did (look at my previous post) I think we spent MAYBE $20 total, and that was for both.

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Build your own custom one, that is what Dottie and I did (look at my previous post) I think we spent MAYBE $20 total, and that was for both.
I wasn't able to go to the links earlier from my phone, and my PC @ worrk doesn't have flas, that's why I was unable to respond, But I want to see what you did, because It really looks like I have to build my own, which shouldn't be hard, I just wasnt able to view yours until later when I change to my Laptop.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
maybe check amazon they had lots of stuff listed when i looked. would one of those hammock things work.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online