Almost lost WB today- he got trapped in the car on a warm day! Thank God he is OK!

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
My English Bulldog, Walley-Bubba got trapped in the car at noon today..
Totally my fault as I didn't realize that an unlocked passenger door will lock itself if the keys are in the ignition.
I had put the keys in the ignition and turned on the KCAT Country radio WB loves in preparation for running to the driver side and starting the car.
It was a warm day and WB was still quite excited (panting) over all the ladies at PetSmart (post Neuter check) that he still wanted to give puppies to.

To my horror, when I closed the passenger door, it locked itself - the driver side was still locked!
My poor doggie was trapped and you know it only takes 10 minutes for excessive heat (82*F) to kill an English Bully.
I called AAA and explained the situation and they promised immed help.
And 10 minutes later I got a robot call that they would be there in 15-20 minutes!

I was beside myself and asked a very nice couple (whose names I never got) who were driving a nice, white Scion XB for help.
The guy was so cool, assuring me it would be OK and telling me not to break the windows on my SRT-4 and also what a neat car it is.

When the robot call came in, I decided to try and break the windows.
I took a large rock and beat the heck out of that driver side window but it held fast.
WB was beginning to overheat and looked for all the world like he was laying down to die!

I ran (limped/hobbled) across the street and borrowed a medium ball pein hammer (Hells Angels favorite) and wailed on those windows.
They freekin held both front and rear on the driver side - who would have thought a crummy DOdge Neon was so tough - to the amazement of my Scion helpers!

FInally, the tow truck showed up and the guy told me he knew exactly why I was so concerned for he also has an English Bulldog.
They had a clever prying device for prying open the door (still locked) a bit and another clever rod thing to push the unlock button.

At last, the door opened and WB was saved from a truly horrible death.
The tow truck operators gave me a bottle of purified water and WB drank and got a nice soaking of his hear/shoulders too.
And of course, he got the MAX air conditioning setting for a full 15 minutes dripping wet as he was.
We got home at light speed and after some more water with ice cubes and a short nap he was fine even cleaning his 1-cup plate of food later.

It's OK now and Thank God Walley Bubba is OK too.
I really do believe my earlier plea to Jesus really worked.
No doubt in my mind now that Hail Mary's work.

No question, I would have personally taken my beloved 2003 SRT-4 to the crusher if WB had died in there today!
Yeah, it would have all been my fault!
But I would never have been able to drive that car again if my dog died in it.
I would have put valve grinding compound in the oil and redlined it in park, then burned it to the ground before having it crushed. Sad Sad Sad.

Anyway, that's all behind me now.
So back to the point of this thready.
Both WB and myself and my beloved SRT-4 were all very lucky today!

Does anyone here a front driver side window and a rear door driver side window for a 2003 Dodge SRT-4?
Probably not but perhaps the lesson learned is that Hail Mary's really do work and I'm not even religious at all having grown up in England as Methodist!

BTW
I'm not a Country Music hick but have found Country to be a good replacement for 60's and 70's Rock and Roll.
I mean the Country folks do sing and play especially well.
And the ladies on CMT videos are kinda hot.
And MTV and VH1 are dead as doornails now.
Besides, it has a calming effect on WB (especially) and Shadow (Yorkie) (remember, I'm a transplanted Limey):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXH77QpfapU

Last edited:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Omg! You Need a glass of wine! Heck, I need one just reading this! I am so sorry, you had to go thru this! I did the same exact thing in Florida, but it was a cool day and Bogey was not in danger- OnStar unlocked it remotely, but it was scary none- the- less. Give WB an extra hug tonight, and put it behind you! Good luck with your winow! A small price to pay for our furry kids!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my that was a close one. i have had a car lock itself on me before with the engine running. no one was inside but it taught me a valuable lesson to not close the door all the way with the key in the ignition. im so glad everything is ok now and your baby is safe. :hug:

OP
Starkie

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Mer, I already killed a bottle of Chardonay and may have a Merlot later if wifey doesn't mind to much.
Don't worry, WB is just fine, sleeping like the "lump on a log" Ann has always hoped he would turn out to be.
I guess this is just the first of many Walley-Bubba stories that I will have to share as time goes by.
Sure is turning out to be one heck of a pup, isn't he.
Albeit unconventional and not at all as I had planned LOL.

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Oh poor WB!! It was really hot on the eastcoast today so I can imagine how your boy felt!! Glad everything worked out!! A cool beer might be just what ya need to be right again :)

OP
Starkie

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeah, that was a close call for everyone involved.
Thank God Almighty it was alright in the end.
Definitely will be more careful about car doors and locks in the future.
ANd pack the large sledge hammer in the trunk for good measure (er, officer, it's just in case I lock the Bulley in the car again LOL).

OP
Starkie

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks, but beer is not "grain free" so I can't give one to WB.
But he does relish ice cubes - except they make him slobb like crazy and turn the ceramic kitchen floor into an ice skating rink LOL!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:whew: So glad this turned out to be a Happy Ending. I locked my year old niece in my car many years ago, so I know just how easily it can happen. And the feelings of panic you were feeling.

OP
Starkie

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks man, yeah I was in a real panic, no doubt.
We all three of us had an angel on our shoulder today.

the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die.
581px-Ted_Kennedy%2C_official_photo_portrait.jpg

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Such anquish and horror at the same time. I'm so happy that it had a happy ending for all. My hubby's cousin had a Rabbit and when she closed the driver's door when we were at the lake a few years ago it locked automatically and her keyes were inside. My hubby said you might be able to change (but probably not) the center if your car has a computer information center that you can check like fuel miles, oil change. We were able to change his cousin's setting. Call Dodge too, the service center should know if that's possible.

Oh, I love country music.

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
I'm so glad that WB is okay! What a scary day. I'm glad everything worked out and I hope you started on that second bottle of wine :)

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Wow so glad everything worked out!! Scary! And I love your Ted Kennedy quote, great senator!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thank God Wally bubs is safe now! :whew: I need a drink just reading that but it's midnight... Too late!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I had such anxiety just reading that..... so so happy all are well.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.