Allergies are fierce!

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
Been to the vet twice in 3 weeks! First time, a shot, then prescription prednisone, didn't work. Back again, this time, Vetalog, and prescription dog food. Purina DMR (?). She is STILL licking paws like crazy, scooting with legs stretched out to itch her under belly. I'm at my Witts end! Was on Fromm Beef Fritta, time before was Earthborn Holistics, but vet said could be from protein? I sure could use some help, I'm in tears! :/ oh and vet said keep het on it for 3 months ( Purina DMR).

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i dont think its the amount of protein but what protein. i find with bullies you need to find a protein they can tolerate then work out from there. i find it interesting that the prednisone did not work? did they get any relief from it? should have if its allergies. what earthborn holistics did u try. both those foods have lots of ingredients that could cause a reaction. oh my that food is not very good. did you already start them on it? if so then perhaps see if it works then we can switch to something else later. do you have benadryl 1 pill per 25 pounds.

Abby&Jacks Mom

May 1, 2013
connecticut
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
abigail & jackson
So sorry to hear that! I had abully king l, Louie who wasallergic to everything! I gavehim daily shots and he was onprednisone his whole life! Happy to say he had a great life and lived 12 yrs! He also ate only fish. Have you had allergy testing done?

OP
M

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
The prednisone worked till she went off. Itching like crazy again. She was on Earthborn Holistics Bison. I then switched her back to Fromm Beef Fritata. Then still itching, paws were raw frmom licking, spots under arm bleeding, dragging legs to itch. ..she's making me crazy! Now vet prescribed her Vetalog every other day. She's been on it and antibiotic for a week plus a day. Still scratching like she's had nothing. The vet put her on the "prescription" dog food. .Purina DMR (?). I thought Fromm was expensive, but this stuff was $98.73! Please some advice, I'm going nuts, and not sure what to do! :(

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
for heavens sake, makes me itch just thinking about it. try the pickle method,

this was a post from a member on here and many have had good results with it. [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION]

If you suspect a yeast problem - our remedy is a solution of 2 parts warm water, 1 part Peroxide 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar - Gizmo had a horrible yeast issue on her feet - we 'pickled her' twice a day for a week, we thought we had killed the yeast colony, but had not got it quite gone - washed all of her bedding, another few rounds of pickling - and we think we have it under control - Yeast has a distinctive odor - FRITO'S CORN CHIPS - if you have that odor, then its definately yeast issue.

OP
M

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
My vet said that was a "waste of money". He said it only is 20% accurate.

OP
M

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
So this "prescription dog food", is it not good? My husband about choked when I told him the cost! :O

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
a dog food with grain in it can be the cause of yeast, so can potato's , Nutrisca is a food that is grain free and potato free. worth a shot, so is the pickle feet recipe I gave you

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if you have already bought the food then give it to them for now to see if the itching stops. give the dog a benadryl 1 pill per 25 pounds should help with the itching. if the ointment is not working put some hydrocortisone cream on the itchy parts also not an open wound though.

OP
M

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
Everything is taken orally. I have leftover Hydroxyzine (sp?), but am not sure if I can mix w/the Vetalog.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
You have already heard this in this thread, but try the antihistamine and see if that helps. It may take a few days to see full effects, but you may see improvement with the itching/scratching rather quickly. If it helps its quite a bit safer in the long run than prednisone

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh ok well i would ask the vet tomorrow about adding benadryl to it for the itching and i would be putting some hydrocortisone cream on it tonight and some powder to maybe. did the vet say what the itching was. is it just allergies or was there some yeast as sherry was describing. have you given the dog a bath. might help sooth them a bit then perhaps some cream and powder and ask the vet about the itching in the am. if you can give the hydroxyzine or something else to help with the itching. is the food helping at all or it maybe to soon to tell.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.