far too many special needs bulldog?

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I don't know if anyone has noticed but it seems there are a disproportionate amount of special needs bulldogs compared to other breeds
Now I know bullys have health issues im not talking about run of the mill allergies, yeast infections maybe even entropian. I'm talking about severe physical impairment. Now I don't know if its just that breeders aren't culling bullys like some breeders of other breeds do or they have lower standards or what it is. But if a breeder is producing deformed sickly puppies and they keep doing it they can't possibly love the breed. THIS IS NoT directed at ANYONE in particular. Just had to get that out there what but I have to say I'm appalled. I love this Breed! They stole my heart .This should not be happening. It breaks my heart. As what I believe to be the largest online bulldog group is there any thing we can do? I swear lately I'm tempted to start breeding myself just to get healthy stock in my area and hopefully preserve what this Breed is really supposed to be friend's as me where they should get bullys from and my response is as far away as possible

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I think the best thing we can do as a community is to support the ethical breeders and try to be helpful and informative to memebers who have yet to purchase a bully. Try to steer them in the right direction.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION]e I agree it's just so frustrating that there aren't more measures that can be taken against poor breeders

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I have to be honest. There are so many amazing people here, many whom agree that you should buy a bully from a breeder who wants to better the breed. Still somehow, I notice the huge ropes covering nostrils, short legs, smushed faces, massive bodies, messed up teeth, and I can't for the life of me think that is bettering the breed at all. All of these things cause health issues.

(DISCLAIMER. BUT GOD ARE THEY ADORABLE)

I got Remi from a back yard breeder on the cheap compared to what some are paying. I really did my homework for months and it turned out after the fact that greenfield puppies really isn't on the up and up - even though I really tried to research the breeders and where to buy from. 2 months later, I was completely in fear that I had purchased a completely defective puppy. And of course, i think what always goes through our heads is, "omg, I will fall in love with him, and then he'll die."

Sometimes it keeps me up at night.

However, as far as bulldogs go, Remi wasn't very desirable. He wasn't as wrinkly. Didn't have a huge massive body. Didn't have a huge rope or a super short snout. But so far the only issues I've had with him are seasonal allergies and not being well socialized. (He is only 10 months and it's possible I might be back here in a year choking on my words, so someone write this down)

$2,000 even $3,000 bucks. And before you read any further, faces red, I don't fault you. Because honestly I know that most of these guys are doing it the right way and those bullies are worth every cent. And MOST of these issues aren't skin deep.

I'm sure many of you have read the disturbing post about a bully having to be put down because of the immense pain of kidney stones. And that person researched for the best possible breeder. So all in all, I don't want anyone to be offended by these observations of mine. Please accept them as a bully loving amateur.

In summary - I just don't think the breed standard is the most healthy - and the breed standard is obviously the most prized. Thoughts from the experts??

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=7587]Rural mystic[/MENTION] I read that too. Idk if I support changing the breed. My hope is that healthy breeding could save them

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
It's one of the primary reasons I sought out an Olde English Bulldogge and the other being that I honestly prefer the OEB's conformation, to each his own. The EB's health issues are notorious, with all their winsome characteristics it is something that should be considered. Having said that I don't think its necessary to mix EB's with Amstaff's and American bulldogs etc to improve the health of EB's. Even within the breed standard for EB's there are variations and those physical characteristics that make for a healthier dog could and can be attained I think with breeding EB's that are still within the standard that are healthier. It seems to me its the exaggerations that create many of the problems and the breeding of those that already contain problems but are sometimes ignored to get a certain look. Not to mention unethical breeders which undoubtedly compounds the problem.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I understand your point of view, but even bd with great bloodlines can and will produce puppies where something is just not right. Most breeders just put those to sleep. Why I think you are seeing more and more of them is because groups are forming online and learning from each other on how to care for them. EBN has even created a forum for them too.

I also know many breeders are now starting to have a heart and insteading of putting these puppies to sleep to save their precious reputations, they are finding them great homes instead. At least that is what I hope.

There is also groups out there (cough cough not mentioning names) that believe these bulldogs SHOULD be put to sleep, that they cannot possibly lead happy lives since they are not show dogs. Again, not metioning names but not too happy once I found that out. Glad I am not in that group now.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
When we started researching, we did all the right things. Learned about the breed, asked questions, researched on line and spoke with other bulldog owners. When we decided to get a bullie, we spent even more time researching breeders.
You know what I found out? That almost everyone I spoke with seemed to be more concerned with conformation rather than health. Sure, when I asked about all their issues I was assured that they're very careful with their breeding "program" etc. etc.

Well, we got Blue January 26th when he was 7 weeks 3 days. By the second week in Feb. I heard his hip pop. He was barely 9 weeks old.
It's now May and we still don't know for certain if he has Hip Dysplasia. We had him checked by two different vets and were told to wait until he's about 8 months as Bulldog pups are known to have "loose" hips and his weren't bad. When I asked if this was normal, I was told it's normal for this breed. I still don't understand what that means..

My point is- the best breeding in the world can not guarantee healthy dogs. And with bullies, since they're a brachycephalic breed, they've already failed in the health department. Then add the hip, eye and allergy issues and what can we expect?

So no, I don't think it's all about the breeding. I think if you want to make them healthy, you'll need to change quite a bit about the breed.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] that's ridiculous. With the right home they certainly can be happy. I know things can happen, heck they happen to humans too but , and remember I don't have experience, if I were a breeder and my bitch or stud produced more than 1 puppy with issues, I would just spay /neuter them both and any pups that had resulted that I may have kept. I understand there is a loss of profit here which is all some are after but it seems better safe than sorry to me. I s there a logical reason not to do this? I fell in love with a puppy that I lost and it just seems that if that hurt could be prevented in any way it should

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=8808]ZeusCsmommy[/MENTION] What I'm referring to are breeders who are either so obsessed with meeting the standard they sacrifice health and temperment or more frequently breeders who don't health test and just throw 2 dogs together to get puppies and even after having sick puppies they continue to breed. Yiu can tell a lot by asking questions. What happens if I can't keep the dog I purchased? If they don't want first right to return RUN. Also ask about health guarantee what happen s if there is something wrong with the pup? How do you choose which dogs you breed? Why are you breeding? Have any of your dogs had health issues? What health checks have the breeding dogs had? Can I talk to your vet and previous puppy adopters? If they give coy or off putting answers to any of these questions look elsewhere. Don't expect them to be perfect but look for them to be honest and caring.
Others may have more advice

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
@ZeusCsmommy What I'm referring to are breeders who are either so obsessed with meeting the standard they sacrifice health and temperment or more frequently breeders who don't health test and just throw 2 dogs together to get puppies and even after having sick puppies they continue to breed. Yiu can tell a lot by asking questions. What happens if I can't keep the dog I purchased? If they don't want first right to return RUN. Also ask about health guarantee what happen s if there is something wrong with the pup? How do you choose which dogs you breed? Why are you breeding? Have any of your dogs had health issues? What health checks have the breeding dogs had? Can I talk to your vet and previous puppy adopters? If they give coy or off putting answers to any of these questions look elsewhere. Don't expect them to be perfect but look for them to be honest and caring.
Others may have more advice
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Ill make sure to take that into consideration.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.