Am I the only one who has thoughts like this for my pets??????

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
First of all, I don't believe in reincarnationā€¦.

But the thought that comes to my mind every day in being a pet owner is this challenge,

If I were to die, and reincarnation was possible, I WOULD WANT TO COME BACK AS MY PET !!

That's my Challenge every day, I want to be the best pet parent I can be. I enjoy spoiling my pets, in a safe and healthy manner, But I would want to come back as my own pet, I know I would be treated damn good. My Pets see a Vet on a regular basis, and any time I see a problem. In my life, I'm very Pro-Life, and those ideals transfer to my pets. If your child gets sick, you don't have the child put down, if a child is sick, we don't put them up for adoption, Theirs laws saying you can't leave a child roadside, because we can't afford them. So how can people do this with their pets??

But then the other thought comes to mind, about those that have puppy mills and puppy farms, those that use their animals for breeding purposes only, Their out to literally squeeze all the money and life simultaneously out of their pets, and in the end, they throw them out on the side of the road, Give them to shelters, take them to vets, have them put down, Would these people benefit from anything anyone had to say? Seems like they are ruled by money.

I've re-homed a breeder female from a puppy farm once, The expenses I incurred were phenomenal, putting her down was never an option, She didn't give up, and I was in it for the long haul, Friends who were not pet owners thought I was insane, for paying the medical expenses, for experimental medicines, health issues were challenging, A shot to have her put down was easy, caring for her and loving her, and giving her a few more years to enjoy life was my goal, which was successfully accomplished, But I know the last breath my senior lady took, was a happy breath, and pain freeā€¦ and most importantly she was loved!! I don't know if i'm being unrealistic, or if i'm just to Naive, or how people can treat any animal in this manner. So am I the only Parent that challenges myself this harshly everyday?? Really??, I'd like to know what motivates or Challenges you give yourselves daily, weekly. Because I can't fathom the flip side of this question.
I'm asking this question after reading another story of a breeder female, being dumped out on the roadside, Rescued, just to find out she was riddled with cancer, and spent the last few hours in the loving arms of a rescuer (but stranger), before passing on. I wish I knew the answer, to a single effective way to touch these backyard breeders, Puppy farms, Puppy Mills, and stop this behavior once and for all!! What are your thoughts?? Ideas??

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You. Are. Awesome. :goodpost:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Last edited by a moderator:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You are loving your pets with your whole heart. By giving in to that caring, it makes us better people. Honestly, Dave, taking in a homeless or unloved animal and giving them the security of a home and humans that care, teach us in ways we can't imagine. OHHH..believe me, I love Jake with all my heart...but having the rescues has made me a better human to Jake and just in general. Making that commitment ...the "as long as you live" thing...is what matters. I often say, the greatest privilege we earn...is loving a senior animal. Their eyes speak from their soul..and the kindness and love you give to them, comes back in multiples. My challenge is simple...In their eyes, I only want to see what love is. No fear, no hesitation. Just their soul.

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
You are loving your pets with your whole heart. By giving in to that caring, it makes us better people. Honestly, Dave, taking in a homeless or unloved animal and giving them the security of a home and humans that care, teach us in ways we can't imagine. OHHH..believe me, I love Jake with all my heart...but having the rescues has made me a better human to Jake and just in general. Making that commitment ...the "as long as you live" thing...is what matters. I often say, the greatest privilege we earn...is loving a senior animal. Their eyes speak from their soul..and the kindness and love you give to them, comes back in multiples. My challenge is simple...In their eyes, I only want to see what love is. No fear, no hesitation. Just their soul.

You are so on the money Becky, dead right, hit the nail dead on the headā€¦. I can't fathom my pet loving me with 100% of their heart, and anything less from me to them would make me a bad person. I can't imagine my pet dying in someone else's arms, They love so unconditionally how can you not love them back, and be there for them. I read the story in the stories and poems forum, and the story slowly angered me, until I finally said what was on my mind. I was reading another post today, from someone, who's pet was in so much pain, they had to put the pet down, I understand theirs a time for that, sometimes and maybeā€¦. But he said friends told him drop the pet off at the vet and leave, and he said no, He wanted to be with his pet to the end, Thats the kind of person that earns my respect as a pet owner, I'm just blown away with the no compassion business. I've read so many posts since joining this forum, and although i've read hints, of some of the owners feeling somewhat like I do, I guess I'm just not as well spoken or diplomatic about the puppy farming business. As I read someone's signature the other day, Having a license to own a pet shouldn't be as simple as writing a check, I enormously agreed with that statement, and I'm just furious over the lack of respect, care and love a FEW of the pet parents give their pets, But thats the ones we hear about the most.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh well when @Vicaroo1000 sees this she is going to have a field day and @BrooklynStar they are very outspoken about this issue of puppy mills n petstore puppies. i know of who you speak i think that had the dog dropped on the side of the road and they took them in only to have them put down for cancer. i was speaking with her via text as this was going on and what it does to that person who takes the pet in is very profound and yet they do it again and again. i myself have a pet who was abused. i did not know the extent of it till years later. when i got her she had 3 kinds of worms, had a torn acl, had something wrong with her spine, was missing alot of hair on her back and was very aggressive to other dogs. years later i learned she had a broken front leg that was just left with no treatment and as its so many years later there is nothing that can be done and she just has to walk on it forever or have invasive surgery for it. she also has many many allergies and her reactions to some of the food ive tried have been harrowing. i never ever once thought of putting her down or rehoming her although i have at times thought id not have another bully. it sickens me really and sometimes i cannot even click on these stories of these pets tossed aside and the shape they are in. i give thanks and many kudos to the people who do take these pets in and make them better. im not sure what can be done about this but if we all get involved and report these things when we see them maybe we can at least put a dent in these kinds of people.

Last edited:

My kids have 4 paws

Apr 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus and Paisley

But the thought that comes to my mind every day in being a pet owner is this challenge,

If I were to die, and reincarnation was possible, I WOULD WANT TO COME BACK AS MY PET !!

That's my Challenge every day, I want to be the best pet parent I can be. I enjoy spoiling my pets, in a safe and healthy manner, But I would want to come back as my own pet, I know I would be treated damn good. My Pets see a Vet on a regular basis, and any time I see a problem. In my life, I'm very Pro-Life, and those ideals transfer to my pets. If your child gets sick, you don't have the child put down, if a child is sick, we don't put them up for adoption, Theirs laws saying you can't leave a child roadside, because we can't afford them. So how can people do this with their pets??

But then the other thought comes to mind, about those that have puppy mills and puppy farms, those that use their animals for breeding purposes only, Their out to literally squeeze all the money and life simultaneously out of their pets, and in the end, they throw them out on the side of the road, Give them to shelters, take them to vets, have them put down, Would these people benefit from anything anyone had to say? Seems like they are ruled by money.

I've re-homed a breeder female from a puppy farm once, The expenses I incurred were phenomenal, putting her down was never an option, She didn't give up, and I was in it for the long haul, Friends who were not pet owners thought I was insane, for paying the medical expenses, for experimental medicines, health issues were challenging, A shot to have her put down was easy, caring for her and loving her, and giving her a few more years to enjoy life was my goal, which was successfully accomplished, But I know the last breath my senior lady took, was a happy breath, and pain freeā€¦ and most importantly she was loved!! I don't know if i'm being unrealistic, or if i'm just to Naive, or how people can treat any animal in this manner. So am I the only Parent that challenges myself this harshly everyday?? Really??, I'd like to know what motivates or Challenges you give yourselves daily, weekly. Because I can't fathom the flip side of this question.
I'm asking this question after reading another story of a breeder female, being dumped out on the roadside, Rescued, just to find out she was riddled with cancer, and spent the last few hours in the loving arms of a rescuer (but stranger), before passing on. I wish I knew the answer, to a single effective way to touch these backyard breeders, Puppy farms, Puppy Mills, and stop this behavior once and for all!! What are your thoughts?? Ideas??

I too challenge myself every single day to be the best mother I can be to my bully babies. Since I am "disabled" and do not work my entire schedule is revolved around them and their needs. My mom thinks its over the top but I want nothing but the best.
Example. I went out of town for a few days and they were boarded at the vet and I measured their food out and labeled each day AM or PM on the ziplock bag. I also had treats for them and the instructions for giving them their treats. Both of my babies have sic sleep number blankets that cost $50 each but I don't care. They both go to the vet the moment I notice something is wrong.
So no you are not alone. People may think I'm a crazy dog lady but I could care less. I will proudly wear dog hair and slobber to the grocery store.

Zeus & Paisley's Mamma
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
So many get pets of any kind and think that it's all fun , requiring no work at all.....for their sheer enjoyment....when finding out that things are not what they perceived them to be, they no longer want the pet.....to me this is so selfish and disrespectful.....how anyone for any reason could take a pet and leave it by the road, have it put down because something happens or they get sick and it's no longer "fun" is beyond my thinking.......i have to wonder how the person that does this can ever really be genuinely happy again, and honestly not so sure they deserve to be...i understand that things happen and there are times when we do things without thinking them through, things become to costly and no longer affordable, but with this one can take time to make sure that the "pet" in question is given to someone that will take care of it in a way they deserve.......as for the breeders that use these dogs in such a disrespectful manner shame on them.....Money rules much in our society today...sad :(

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis

That was me. I named her Georgia and bought her cheeseburgers and Sandy talked me through it. :yes:

I wish I had the answer to backyard breeders and puppy mills too. As long as greed exists there will be Georgias in the world. The only thing that we can do is educate people, support your local rescues and lead by example. Shout it from the rooftops. Whatever it takes to get people to stop buying from pet stores and bad breeders.

I get what it takes to love an animal completely. To do whatever it takes for them to see one more day, live out one more miracle. People also called me crazy. Sometimes even I thought I was crazy. But the love you get in return makes it worth it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
you are very far from alone..... my Bullies are my world!

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
[MENTION=8699]GoldenRod[/MENTION] - you are far from alone in your thoughts (as evident in the previous and subsequent replies).

I grew with dogs and cattle, Ive always been around animals. My childhood pet was a white German Shepard (Snowball). I took him for granted quite a bit in my college years, was always there to pet him, feed him, etc etc. But when his time came to pass, he went out to the woods (or was dognapped) to pass on. Then many years later (about 14) Colossus came into my life. Someone had dropped him at an animal clinic overnight (even took the time to wrap him in a comforter to help keep him warm). A co-worker mentioned this and I immediately without thinking jumped at the chance. Not a second goes by do I question it. I can only hope I bring him the fun, love, smiles, and happiness he brings me.

Small story on Closs - I am allowing him run of the house starting this week (two days in, and no worse for wear). I come home from work last night and find him waiting for me at the front door (granted I come up using the basement stairs behind the door and not use the front door), but there he was waiting on me. All happy, nub of a tail just going crazy. If only he fully realized what hes brought into my life. The saying, who rescued whom is so very true.

Sorry for the rambling. Thank you for posting this thread.

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer

I've often pondered what it would be like reincarnated as my bully. I am sure it would be wonderful - sleep all day, play at night, no bills, no girl problems ;D, just hanging out knowing I am being well looked after - but that is where it ends for me. My luck, I would be reincarnated as a dog destined to be stranded, abused, or put to sleep; I hate to speak about it, but those are the sad realities these noble creatures face every day. I read somewhere that 6 million dogs are put to sleep every year in the USA alone! That's an incredibly large and insane number of dogs.

Whenever state legislators want to "crack down" on puppy mills and back yard breeders, their lobbyists respond by mitigating or outright disbanding the proposed law. Indeed, pet stores have it made in being able to "sucker" in an unsuspecting passerby with cute faces in the window (I should know - I am one of those "suckers"). Walking by a pet store on Valentineā€™s Day with my girlfriend last year is what brought my bully, Dozer, into my life. After doing a quick bit of research we both agreed that it was worth rolling the dice on a pet store dog since he had a fantastic personality, and he coincidentally barked after my girlfriend remarked, "Do you want to come home with us boy?". Everything seemed magical, just like I pictured it when I was a boy who dreamed of always owning a dog. However, the feeling did not last long...

What has happened since then? Pneumonia, IV Treatments, Giardia 2x, Cherry eye 3x, surgery to remove said cherry eye, cysts, a hernia, entropian, hairs growing into his eyeballs and causing ulcers, a pending eye surgery to remove said hairs and fix eyelids, hotspots, Dermatitis, randomly urinating blood, projectile diarrhea, random bouts of vomiting, head tremors, a bunch of ear infections, and one urinary tract infection....all before his second birthday.

And, after ALL that stuff - I still feel lucky! I have read and heard of many, many, horrible stories with bullies and after each one I always grabbed my boy and gave him a bunch of hugs and kisses, because at the end of the day I am all he has and I love him with all my heart. I keep telling myself that this could of happened to anyone, even if I did acquire him from the best breeder in the world, and that you can never truly tell when it comes to genes and lineages anyway.

I think the only real way is to have a Governor or the President outright ban the practice and also perhaps pass a law where tax breaks are given towards real, registered, and reputable breeders- so they can easily take out ads of their puppies or upcoming liters. I really don't know how to fix it, but I think it's a better alternative to the current practice. Look what the current practice has yielded. Here are three reviews for two pet stores in walking distance from my home. I cannot even fathom what some of those people have gone through.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/puppy-boutique-brooklyn

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/boutique.html

http://www.yelp.com/biz/a-world-of-pets-brooklyn-2

Sorry if I rambled on there, I had to vent and am nervous because he gets his eye surgery next week :(

Last edited:
OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I can't understand why anyone would own a Pet who couldn't love that Pet with all their hearts. I've never seen a Pet give up on a bad owner, How could a Owner give up on a Pet. How does someone own a pet, not invest the time in breaking that pet in, or understanding the pet, and give the pet away. I got a book with my cocker spaniels years ago, and it was about Monks who owned and Raised German Shepherds, trained them, and explained Pet behaviors accompanied with their Pets, The Alpha Male, Potty Training, The dominance factor, behavior problems, Generally everything you want to know about Dogs, what you expect, what they expect, and how to accomplish these goals. After reading this book, I looked at Pet Parenting totally differently, I looked at their behavior problems with understanding, and best of all knew how to deal with the problems, solve them, and seeing my pet happier, and being happier myself.
I've got a story inside me of a Pet Rescue, that started with buying a puppy from a backyard breeder, and adopting an adult female at the same time that wouldn't produce anymore, which was evidently on it's way to the shelter when I ended up with both, The story covers 4 Ā½ years, more than $10,000 in vet bills, That I had no help with, and didn't even know help was valuable for (Why I was so touchy about pet insurance) dealing with vets, who reminded me of Dr. Frankenstein, but having a little girl melt my heart as my friends all said your crazy, just put her to sleep, none of them were pet owners, Parents, and this little girl named Blondie changed my life, respect, and educated me more than I ever knew was possible, and one day I'll tell the story. But even in my life, it took Blondie to open my eyes as to what my pet meant to me, and I refused to give up on her, until she passed. She was the first in my life to make me say, I'm not giving up, NO MATTER WHAT, and together she taught me more about Pet Love than anyone or anything ever could ofā€¦ā€¦ That was my first experience with a puppy mill, and why I feel so strongly against the quality of animal they put out.

It's so Nice to Hear so many of you feel the same way I doā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ I Love my pet with my whole heart!! and it's a together deal for life, NO MATTER WHAT contract we keep between us. That to me is the Pet Bond!! So [MENTION=4363]BrooklynStar[/MENTION], I know where your coming from, and I share your thoughtsā€¦. @ Razrilla99 You'll never regret it, The contract of Life is the most precious gift you can give, and I'm sure he will forever repay your kindness, [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I'm proud to know you through here, [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] Your Signature was the one I was referring too, it's too awesome, and says so much in so little space, I love your compassion for Pets, and your story touched my heart deeplyā€¦. [MENTION=2572]glenna[/MENTION] your so rightā€¦.. [MENTION=8583]My kids have 4 paws[/MENTION] you'll never regret that challenge, The same challenge keeps me strong every day, and has brought me here to learn more to help Rocky, by being a better Parentā€¦ā€¦@Cowsmom whether via text, phone or however, you made a statement that affected a Pets life for the better, and that makes you awesome!! [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] Becky, you and I are so much on the same wave length, through their eyes and can see their tiny souls, How can you not love them?? @DessertSkyBulldogs, Lisa, I've read your Facebook page, on Pet adoptions, and the respect for you is second to noneā€¦ā€¦ To be in a group of individuals who seem to identify with one another so much is truly a Privilege, My Privilegeā€¦ā€¦ Thanks for reaffirming the love it takes to keep these gentle souls so lovedā€¦ā€¦

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
If I were to come back as a pet, I would want to be this lady I once knew who had 19 cocker spaniels. All of whom were in full coat were spoiled and got the best medical attention. She was the epitome of pet owner so if God said "you're going back as a cocker spaniel." I would have said send me to Rita's house. LOL

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.