JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
A friend of mine is getting a senior bully this coming weekend. :clap: I'm so happy for her. It got dumped into a shelter after the breeder was done with her. :cry: My friend has other dogs that are young and wants to make sure that she introduces them carefully. The only experience I had in this scenario was with my senior Pit Bull, Ace. I brought Wilson and Jack into the house when they were young and Ace was nearly 13 and it was flawless. Any suggestions on bringing a senior Bulldog that's about 7 plus into a house that has younger more active dogs? Oh.....my friend's female is not as social as her other one. I'm thinking she'll do just fine since her female is just over a year old. I suggested she take her with her when she goes to pick the senior Bully up so that would give the two bullies time together. But then I think it would be better if she just spends that driving time with the senior to get acquainted with her?

Any suggestions?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Tough choice, but I certainly say meeting on neutral territory is best.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Sure hope all goes well!

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] this sounds exactly like my experience when we picked up Princess (at the time 9) and introduced her to Gio (2) and Diva (4), the first thing I recommend is NOT taking the other dog with her! We were going to take Gio with us but the shelter said it's not a good way to start by having two dogs that are not familiar with each other in the car together. After they all met on neutral territory we brought them all back to the house and let them hang in the yard for about 10 minutes together, this gave them time to sniff each other and for Princess to explore her new yard. We then let Princess go into the house by herself while the other two remained in the yard, this way Princess could get to know her house without the distraction of Gio and Diva! We then let the other two in about 5 minutes later. For the rest of the day we let them hangout together but would also separate them, we put Gio and Diva in one room that was blocked by a baby gate, this allowed them to still see each other while introducing them slowly. I pretty much did this everyday, making the time of them hanging out together longer everyday. I also fed Princess before I fed Gio and Diva for a week or two then I started feeding them all together, only still 4 months later I put Princess's food on one side of the kitchen and the other 2's food on a different side of the kitchen. Anytime that they got in a fight (only 4) I would separate whoever started it and put them in a room by themselves to "cool down".

I guess the biggest thing I would recommend is not to rush it, let them slowly get to know each other! And congrats to your friend, nothing better then senior dogs! Post pics when she gets her! :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i agree with [MENTION=4081]mcraven2[/MENTION] above i cant add anything to that. good luck to your friend :2thumbs:

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@mccraven2, thanks Melissa for that advice. That's sorta what I was thinking too, slowly. At first I told her to talk her female with her but then got to thinking that might not be a great idea cause the Senior could use that time with her for bonding. I know when we brought Emma home we had so much excitement from first being gone and then we brought Emma into the house. It was chaotic and I don't want her to repeat that.

Why did you feed Princess first? To have the other accept her as being first in the pack?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
It's been my experience that neutral territory doesn't work. Eventually they all have to come home.

They way I introduce new dogs to one another is with a crate. I crate the new guy in the middle of the room and leave him there until my other dogs start to completely ignore him. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, one time it took a couple of hours. Once they ignore each other I put the new guy on a leash and keep him with me at all times. They tell me the logic behind this is that it teaches the new dog that I am in charge and it shows my dogs that this one belongs to me. Once they ignore each other that way I drop the leash but keep it on him so I can grab it quick if I have to. It takes a couple of days but it works for me. I've never had a dog fight in the house.

God bless your friend for taking in a senior bully. :)

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bev, thanks for that advice. I actually thought about the crate but not placing it in the middle of the room. Would you suggest an outdoors meeting first, say like the front yard in a one-on-one setting? She's a special person indeed, well at least to me she is. :laugh:
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
@JeannieCO I honestly don't know why I fed her first, I think at the time I just figured I didn't want the other 2 (Gio and Diva) looking at her and thinking they were above her and could gang up on her so this way they see that she is part of the family too and not below them. I do place Princess's bowl down first now only because she is SO obsessed with food that if I put Diva or Gio's bowl down before hers I'm pretty sure Princess would try to eat theirs! And the other 2 never try to eat hers when I place it down.... it's hard to teach Princess "no" since she is deaf so I figured this would be the easiest way

Last edited:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Bev, thanks for that advice. I actually thought about the crate but not placing it in the middle of the room. Would you suggest an outdoors meeting first, say like the front yard in a one-on-one setting? She's a special person indeed, well at least to me she is. :laugh:
@Twice

If you can stand the racket, I do all at once, right there in the middle of the room. There is a different dynamic when the dogs are alone compared to how they are individually. I don't know if the way I do it is the right way or not, I just know that it's always worked for me. The only dog that I didn't crate in the beginning is Athena. First reason is because I didn't/don't have a crate big enough for her. Second reason is that she is so submissive that I felt confident skipping the crate and going straight to the leash.

That "special person" bit should have told me right there you were talking about yourself. You're "special" alright :sarcastic:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@Twice

Oh my Gawddddddd! You are so freakin weird! :ROFL: I'm just seeing this thread...but I would've smelled sumpin was up from this! :laugh:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Sneaky girl! Albeit, beautiful, funny, loving & loyal FRIEND! :icecream:

Most Reactions

Members online