ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
One of our problems with Mabel is her refusal to come when we call her. She usually just watches us, disinterested, until it suits her highness's desire to come to us. We started training in earnest today. As long as we have treats she will run and sit in front of me when I call now. She has the sit and hand shake down--those were easy. I've been working on the down command with very little success. Any suggestions?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They can be stubborn at times, so just be consistent and she will eventually get it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Down and come are tough.... As David said-- consistent and HIGHLY valued treats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
What I did to get down to work was to first get Luca to sit then move along side him (now we both face the same direction) by keeping his attention on the treat in my hand.
Then I would kneel down next to him still with both of us facing the same direction and show him the treat up close and let him smell it but not take it.
Keep one hand on his back as he smells and tastes the treat, slowly move the treat away from his face as you gently push down on his back up by his shoulders.
tell him "down" in a soft, kinda encouraging voice.
as soon as all four of his elbows hit the floor drop the treat and tell him "good boy good down"
down is hard for them to get because its a mental thing for them. They equate the down position with being submissive.
I would actually hold his harness across his back to get him to stay as I pulled the treat away. Takes a while but eventually they get it. Now I just point to the floor with a treat in my hand and he will do it.

OP
ChrisRN

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I tried clickers with my bullmastiffs, but found myself not coordinated enough to manage the clicker, the treat, and the dog! :girlwacko: Of course, they were 50-60 pound puppies! I found that a high-pitched "good dog" worked just as well. I appreciate the help on the down command. I didn't have as much trouble with my big bullies and my boxer, but Mabel's little butt keeps coming off the ground! I even taught my big guys to put their heads down, which led to bowing--so much fun! We'll get there, but we're starting at square one with this little girl! :yes:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.