Zamboni, the Holy Terror

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Zam 1 02-17-13.jpg Zamboni - about 55 pounds @ 10 months

Up until now, I've kept all the dogs gated into the dining room and kitchen. However, Zamboni has decided that Zoltan would make a nice snack and attacks him every chance he gets. I've had Zam neutered in hopes that will stop his stupidity but until and unless it does I moved Zolly into the living room. He's quite content and doesn't even try to chase the cats or go out the open door. This is how he spends his time, day and night. He's not quite 6 years old which should be middle aged for a Shortybull.

IMG_20130504_104001.jpg Zoltan Khan - about 31 pounds at 5.5 years.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Nice looking bulldogs, too bad they don't get along so well. Hopefully Zam will calm down some as he gets a little older.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Gotta tell ya.... I love their names... too cool and unique! Hopefully, they settle back into each other soon.... is it possible one is in pain that could be causing the sudden obsession?

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Gotta tell ya.... I love their names... too cool and unique! Hopefully, they settle back into each other soon.... is it possible one is in pain that could be causing the sudden obsession?

No, the problem has been caused by Zamboni's maturation. It started at the same time his balls began to grow. Hopefully removing them will remove the problem once the testosterone works it's way out of his system.

Thanks for the complement on the names. I work hard to find unique ones and my son's require that all my zoo have Z names because they are the Z-Team. But Zamboni just popped into my head when I got him. I figure he was telling me that was his name. :yes:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I sure hope they settle down, I know how hard it is. We keep leashes on our crabby girls when they are together so we make them co exist, but honestly they don't hate each other any less. I hear it can take a year even to teach them to learn to like each other again so we are trying to be patient. I can tell you now, it was because we separated them that they became this way. So my advice would be not to separate them too long, make them learn you won't put up with their bs as soon as you can.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
I sure hope they settle down, I know how hard it is. We keep leashes on our crabby girls when they are together so we make them co exist, but honestly they don't hate each other any less. I hear it can take a year even to teach them to learn to like each other again so we are trying to be patient. I can tell you now, it was because we separated them that they became this way. So my advice would be not to separate them too long, make them learn you won't put up with their bs as soon as you can.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

I have to separate or I will literally end up with one or the other of them dead. They are not just grumpy they are in full attack mode. Zoltan (the shorty) is male aggressive when out in public. I can not take him to a dog park or let him off leash anywhere. However, he has never been aggressive with Zam. Zam started this but Zolly has had enough and will not put up with anymore of his nonsense. I spent some time this morning cleaning a scab I found on Zolly's neck. They had less than a minute at full contact yesterday when I didn't lock the gate between them quickly enough. I'll give it a few months and if it doesn't stop one or both of them will have to go. I've had enough. My cats are a whole lot easier.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh im sorry to see this. we had the same problem with sarah not long ago. she would try to eat the boys just whenever the mood struck her and like you it was full attack mode. i put a harness on her and a leash and she was with me at all times at first. then as she was better she got a bit more freedom and now seems to like the boys again. didnt come over night and she is still leashed sometimes. i hope things get better for you. :pray:

OP
L

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
things are about the same. I really haven't tried much yet. I'm giving the neuter a few more weeks to kick in. I'm also probably hoping for too much. It's really strange. If Zam is in his crate I can let Zoltan in the room without a problem. It stays fine the whole time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfrRQiA1IBc

However, If I put Zoltan in his crate and let Zam out, this is what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC5zP8Xo0Ww

I have taken both crates out of the room and replaced them with one 42" crate all the dogs used when they were puppies. Zam in ? Zoltan out still works. I haven't tried the oppisite yet. Maybe I'll work up the nerve today. the next step will be sharing a room with Zam on the leash. Stay tuned for the next adventure.....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.