Rocky's first Vet Visit Report

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Rocky woke up this morning, still nauseous. Yesterday, I mixed his Pedigree diet with can Pedigree just to get him to eat something, and the day before, he had Rice, boiled beef mixed with his kibbles.

Explained everything to the Vet, including his former owner and how I became Rocky's new parent. Vet did an annual checkup, worms, stomach virus, everything, and Rocky's test came back negative for everything, No worms, viruses, nothing that could affect him as far as sickness. My new Vet prescribed him Cerenia 48 MG once a day for the nauseas, and then said he may have been on a Pedigree diet of kibbles, but even that may not have been the same flavor etc as his previous owner fed him. My Vet recommended since his diet has been interrupted, and he is being treated for Nausea, This may be a great time to switch his diet to Blue Buffalo, and try hand feeding him to see if he would eat it, but work from here to get him on good food, because of skin allergies and other allergies Bully's are prone too. He also told me there was a world of difference between my cocker spaniel and my new kid (Bully)

All day Rocky has been inactive, and nauseas, And sitting around not moving very much. I really started to worry more was going on with Rocky than just his transition from his old home to the new one. I noticed his tongue looked kind of pale too, along with his gums, My Vet said I was very perceptive, but nothing to worry about. He listened to his heart, and breathing etc, and Rocky came alive until the stool sample etc…

My Vet is in the process of getting all of Rocky's shot records transferred to him, so we can make sure he's current with everything, and then recommended continuing on with his regime of Trifexis, because of his flea allergy. and while the Vet was taking so much time with Rocky, we had a chance to discuss Trupanion Ins…. His response was he hasn't used it, because anything major, like orthopedics, or things like that he referred out, But blew me away by explaining, Have Trupanion send him some information and he would gladly look at it in case Rocky ever has an emergency etc…. He had used VPI, and ASPCA along with Petplan before, So his caring and compassion went such a long ways with me and Rocky. I'm so excited Rocky has no problems other than diet acclamations and was excited my vet didn't push Science Diet or Iams or anything like that on me, but Highly Recommended Blue Buffalo, which seems to be a board favorite here for sure. The more I read and learn on this site, the more my Vet made sense to me, and now I just have to get Rocky started eating again. He's been stubborn all day, in not eating anything, But hopefully with the Nausea now being treated, hopefully his tummy will calm down into a much better diet. :) Thank You Everyone for all the great information, and wonderful advice, This has got to be one of the best forums I've ever been associated with as far as EB's 101. AWESOME !!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Such a great review , wow, glad you like the family here. We all feel the same

:lubu:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
He is probably listless because he is nauseous. The Cerenia will pick him right up. If you have a health food store nearby you can always get him some slippery elm bark. Mix it with some applesauce, it will coat his stomach to help with the nausea and help heal his insides.

Poor little guy :( I'm super happy that you found a vet that you trust tho. That is SO important :yes:

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
He is probably listless because he is nauseous. The Cerenia will pick him right up. If you have a health food store nearby you can always get him some slippery elm bark. Mix it with some applesauce, it will coat his stomach to help with the nausea and help heal his insides.

Poor little guy :( I'm super happy that you found a vet that you trust tho. That is SO important :yes:

Twice, it was really a relief, because Facebook friends who was friends of the Vet, said the Vet that they had seen retired, and this was a new young guy, But I have to say he spent a good 45 minutes, just in the room evaluating Rocky, Then did the lab stuff for him and the news was so good except the eating part, and he seemed very knowledgeable about EB's, and echo'd everything I have read here, Including the food, Allergies, skin care, tear stains, which built a lot of confidence, I'm blessed with Rocky and a Vet I feel will do his best to be there for Rocky. I'm truly blessed.

On the other side of the coin, Rocky is running, jumping, playing as he should, so I can tell the medicine is working…. He went from being my shadow to today, moping around sitting and now following, his face was so sad, and now he's playing, drinking water, and now snoring next to my recliner, lol.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Good news Dave. Glad your first vet visit went so well and that you have a vet you feel confident with

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
All good news! Rocky is so lucky you came into his life. And we are lucky you found us and joined up! One thing Dave..Petplan is supposed to be a great insurance co too.. [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] has used them extensively and is very happy. Just another option for you..she will chime in soon!

Hope Rocky's tummy will soon be normal...:)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Get him off triflexis immediately, it can kill him. It has killed a good friend of ours bully at 18 months of age. Use Sentinel for fleas instead. I hope your boy will start to feel better soon.

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Get him off triflexis immediately, it can kill him. It has killed a good friend of ours bully at 18 months of age. Use Sentinel for fleas instead. I hope your boy will start to feel better soon.

Hey Davidh, Rocky's previous owner said she had him on Triflexis because of his allergy to fleas, and said something about it's killed a few pets, but Triflexis didn't have a recall on it, Which led me to the thought, maybe the pets were using it, and had heart worms or something along those lines, I've heard about Pet owners using a preventative before and their pets were already infected and caused them to loose a pet, So that's what I thought she was trying to explain. When the new Vet asked me today what Rocky had been using, I told him Triflexis, and he said it was the best in the business for fleas, and against worms, and prevented Heart worms also, but said if I had any problems with Ticks he would have to suggest a topical treatment, but highly recommended the Triflexis as being good. Again, I was just thinking she was using it, and it was working, Although he (Rocky) hasn't had a treatment this month yet, but will be due the middle of the month, which means I have to purchase a 6 month supply then to continue him on the same medication @ $130.00 direct from my vet. The reaction she told me he had with the fleas, caused him to loose fur in spots, and had him Vet treated with Hydroxyzine HCL 10mg 3 times a day and then Animax Ointment for the wrinkles around his face, Which the vet said when done with the Ointment try the wipes he had that sounded a lot like Mal-A-Ket wipes that I keep reading about here, the name did anyway. Is there an equivalent to the Triflexis? Do I need to go with different medications to treat each? I get the feeling you use Sentry for the fleas, but what about the worm issues, especially Heart worms which have claimed so many pets in my area? And I see your in Texas, so you know the mosquito problem were faced with, and why is Triflexis still allowed to be sold? Just Wondering Now that Pets have been lost using it?? and no Recall on it??? Man Oh Man…. this isn't sounding good at all.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=8699]GoldenRod[/MENTION] Sentinel is for heart worms and also works for fleas too. We use it and have never had a flea problem. You could not get Sentinel for awhile and we used Heart guard, but it doesn't kill fleas. Our vet wanted us to use Triflexis and we did a month or so until we heard about it killling bullies and a friend of ours 18 month old Steve died because of it, so we threw the rest of it away and bought Heart guard. Now you can get Sentinel again and that's what we put ours back on. I will never use Triflexis again.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I totally agree with @Davidh and another member on here [MENTION=2308]bubbaisapig[/MENTION] also had some issues while using Trifexis, Her baby didnt die, but I think the symptoms are the same as you are describing with the nausea and such.

Last edited by a moderator:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Here is the thing.....the only reason they recalled the chicken strips from China is because mass amounts of dogs were dying. Trifexis isn't to the point where they will recall it....but we are trying to get it done. We have a petition that we are working on getting signatures for..so we can make them aware. The FDA is in charge of recalls, and until we can get our voices heard, they will continue to sell it.

It's amazing how much opinions differ between vets. Our vet told us that he refuses to use Trifexis AND he took his parents dog's off Interceptor because it's the same active ingredient as Trifexis. I know of 2 bullies that have died on Trifexis since December of 2012. My signature below is a reminder of Steve every time I log on.

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Here is the thing.....the only reason they recalled the chicken strips from China is because mass amounts of dogs were dying. Trifexis isn't to the point where they will recall it....but we are trying to get it done. We have a petition that we are working on getting signatures for..so we can make them aware. The FDA is in charge of recalls, and until we can get our voices heard, they will continue to sell it.

It's amazing how much opinions differ between vets. Our vet told us that he refuses to use Trifexis AND he took his parents dog's off Interceptor because it's the same active ingredient as Trifexis. I know of 2 bullies that have died on Trifexis since December of 2012. My signature below is a reminder of Steve every time I log on.
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION], What are you using for Heart Worm flea prevention now? [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] said he was using Sentinel, and Rocky is due his the middle of the month, So I need to act quickly and tell my Vet I don't want him on Triflexis. I contacted Rocky's former Vet Saturday, and gave them all my information etc, to have all of Rocky's shot history, medication history, everything sent to my new Vet, I have to take him back on the 13th, For shots and Heart guard Medicine, an he's allergic to fleas, So this is why the former Parents kept him on Triflexis, Until a recall had been ordered. I'm willing to go the extra distance for Rocky, in making sure he's safe, protected and healthy. The big thing I have noticed this week with Rocky, is he's spoiled to food. He isn't into eating any pet food, But he is definitely the first one to the breakfast table waiting on breakfast to be served, and pouts a lot when he doesn't receive anything but his pet diet.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
We don't use anything. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. Since it's transmitted thru mosquito bites (and not all bites) I'm in an area where there really isn't a problem.
I've heard people say "An ounce of prevention in the case of heartworm pills is certainly worth more than its pound of cure". Vegas and O don't get to spend much time outside. Either it's too warm or it's raining. I don't even know the last time I was bitten by a mosquito.

If I needed something, at this point in their life, I think I would go with completely natural products. I'm not a fan AT ALL of putting poison on them. I guess some companies believe a handful of fatalities a year from complications is okay as long as it saves more. Am I wrong? Probably. This is just my opinion. If it's not safe for me to touch or apply to myself, I would not put it on my bulldog. They have no way of telling me that they feel sick, off or different. Vegas is already compromised from all his seizure meds. Steve (after taking Trifexis) started having seizures. He had so many in such a short amount of time, he developed aspiration pneumonia and an MRI showed fluid on the brain. Steve passed away 6 days after he turned 2. Everything in his life was mapped out, timed and monitored completely. Meaning.....he was watched every time he went outside, and a timer was set. Nothing in his diet or life had changed, except for adding Trifexis. Every test was performed before he passed and he was healthy. The only thing was the poison Trifexis.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
[MENTION=8699]GoldenRod[/MENTION] I gave Trifexis to Bubba 2-3 times in the past.. Each time, he became very lethargic for a day or two. I didn't realize after the first dose, what was wrong. I noticed this happened each time I gave it to him. Never gave it again. So glad I didn't! I signed him up for Trupanion insurance with an added hip displasia coverage. I got that when he was young because they don't cover anything pre-existing. I used it for getting him allergy tested (which I highly rec! Takes away the guessing). Good luck with your baby!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online