A Celebrated Success; However Small

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
On our walks each day, we run into all kinds of folks. One day about a month ago, a fellow I'd never met before (who reminded me of Uncle Fester in a big way) came out of his place pleading, "Can I pet the bulldogs?" Sure. Of course you can. While Bea and Bo are swimming in ecstasy at this sudden font of attention, he goes on to tell me that he used to have a bulldog years ago and he wants to get another one. He says that he's seen us all walk by, day after day, and that morning he'd put a deposit down on two EB puppies from an online breeder in Florida. (My heart sank, but I remained silent as he continued). He told me all about his old bulldog and how awesome he was and how his Schnauzer is 15 and quite geriatric and how I "inspired" him to seek a bulldog in his life again. We talked about all the major upkeep of an EB and how wonderful they are. He actually got misty eyed when speaking of his old friend. After we'd talked for a time, I said, "Can I ask a favor of you?" He seemed eager to help me with whatever I wanted. I said, "Please, please, please be careful when buying a pup online...and let me tell you why...". And I did tell him why, sharing all the heartbreaking stories we've heard here over the years.

Last Monday, we again walked by his place and he was out mowing the grass. He stopped the mower and came over to see Bea and Bo. He told me, "I want to thank you. I cancelled getting those two pups from Florida because of what you said." He continued, "Another person posted that they got pups from these people and they arrived dead." {*anguish* I felt my heart breaking right there in his petunia patch.}
We talked about local breeders and the many, many deserving dogs at rescue and I told him if he needed my help, just let me know.

A small victory for sure, given the bazillions of backyard breeders and puppy mills out there, but a success nonetheless. :heart:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bless you. What a great story!!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I'd hardly call that a small success. You saved that man's heart (and checkbook) and possibly saved the life of a bully in rescue. That's HUGE my friend!

:bravo:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
He must so thankful to you for opening up your heart and telling him what you felt and in doing that you have saved a rescue. Good on you 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I sure hope he lets you help him rescue a bully or two! So happy that he listened to you. Do keep us posted!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I found this week that when you act from your heart the results are positive.
You may also have a new friend for life. I hope he finds the bully he desires.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Great story. You probably saved him unlimited heartbreak by deciding it was better to tell him than not. I can't even imagine having two dead pups show up at my door. I'd go bonkers! There are so many benefits to finding a breeder close by. I must admit, when I had my boxer, Gracie, people would stop me when we were out and share their stories about how they had a boxer and show me pictures. I'd kindly listen but in my mind I'd be thinking, geesh, why does everyone stop me to tell me about their boxer??? Then my girl died. And now I find myself stopping boxer owners and with tears in my eyes, asking if I can pet their baby. Funny how that works.

That guy might never realize how truly lucky he is that he stopped to talk to you. You're a good egg, Vicaroo!
Please let us know if/when he gets a bulldog (or 2)...maybe he'll either join the site or give you pictures to share with us.

edited to add: Did you ask him if he has any ghosts in his house?:eek:

Last edited:

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
What an awesome story to start my Friday with!!!!! Kudos to you for being upfront and honest and potentially saving that man a world of hurt and trouble! :2thumbs::clap2::goodpost:

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Way to go! As the owner of a bully that was aquired from a local petstore I cannot endorse your message enough. I've gone through so much money treating genetic conditions and other ailments which stem from poor breeding practices, that I literally could renovate my home. Thankfully, I was able to sue and win money from the petstore since he sold me a sick puppy when the paperwork stated the dog was fine. Also, the vet the pet store recommened I go to said my puppy was "fine", when all the instincts in my gut screamed otherwise. The next day I went to a different vet and he said that Dozer had a pretty severe case of pnemonia as well as giardia! Eventually, my tough little solider was able to beat back both ailments, but he still has a slew of other genetic problems which is harder to treat; stomach is easily upset, entropian, eye ulcers, cysts on the paws, head tremors, allergies, ect. Now, I've become a preacher when people stop me in the street to pet my boy. I always school them in Bulldogs 101 and they usually walk away much more enlightened than they were before. Good job!

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=4363]BrooklynStar[/MENTION] I commend you, also. I learned so much about BYB from the boxer forum I was a member of that we *knew* #1. Not to go to a petstore to purchase a dog #2. We wanted a local breeder #3. I wanted a breeder that was going to ask *ME* a ton of questions before even letting me see a dog. That way I knew they cared about where their dog was going and who was taking care of him/her. You can learn a lot about a breeder even by what they don't do or say. We researched the hell out of the breeders we got Mona from and are elated with them.

^5 both of you!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I consider this a huge success!!! I always say if you can help just one... It's always worth it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Vicki... just another reason I love you! Great work!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.