Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: UTI in 15wk old puppy that wont go away

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilbur
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default UTI in 15wk old puppy that wont go away

    We brought our 8wk old English bulldog home and within days I noticed he needed to urinate often and seemed to strain to pee. At his first check up he tested positive for bacteria and blood in his urine, he was given Clavamox. At recheck 14 days later the infection remainded and he was given Cephalexin while we waited the baterial culture. The culture returned with enterococcus bacteria and his meds where changed to Amoxiciliian . At recheck today the infection remains and his urine tested high for proteins. We have already done a X-ray to check for kidney stones which was negative. Scheduled for a ultra sound tomorrow. Has anyone else had a stubborn UTI or know of something else that could be causing this infection. Frustrated that my baby has been sick for 5wks.

  2. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug Sherry's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Denver PA
    Posts
    5,284
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: UTI in 15wk old puppy that wont go away

    Awee honey, first welcome to the site and I'm going to tag someone with urinary exp. @Twice
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

  3. #3
    My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Twice's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bev
    Location
    Woodbridge Township, NJ
    Posts
    2,711
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: UTI in 15wk old puppy that wont go away

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonds View Post
    We brought our 8wk old English bulldog home and within days I noticed he needed to urinate often and seemed to strain to pee. At his first check up he tested positive for bacteria and blood in his urine, he was given Clavamox. At recheck 14 days later the infection remainded and he was given Cephalexin while we waited the baterial culture. The culture returned with enterococcus bacteria and his meds where changed to Amoxiciliian . At recheck today the infection remains and his urine tested high for proteins. We have already done a X-ray to check for kidney stones which was negative. Scheduled for a ultra sound tomorrow. Has anyone else had a stubborn UTI or know of something else that could be causing this infection. Frustrated that my baby has been sick for 5wks.

    when you take him for his ultrasound tomorrow request a full CBC to rule out renal failure. Has he fallen recently? Accidentally bumped his stomach somehow? A trauma to the urinary system could be causing the protein to show in the urine. This happens because the injured organ is bruised and leaking blood into the urine, once the trauma is healed the bleeding stops and the protein goes away.

    Has the doctor ruled out e-coli? It's a pretty common infection in puppies, especially if the mother was exposed.

    He may need hospitalization and IV antibiotics for that infection. Has the doctor put him on any type of diuretic to help him flush out his system? Regular parsley works great for that if you can stick half a tsp in with his meals. It is also a great anti inflammatory so it will help heal any internal trauma that could be causing the bleeding.

    Sorry, I hit submit before I finished my thought

    You might want to add a cranberry supplement to his diet as well as a probiotic and fruit treats high in vitamin C and A.
    Last edited by Twice; 04-30-2013 at 09:23 PM.

    For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012


    Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

  4. #4
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: UTI in 15wk old puppy that wont go away

    I just want to welcome you..you've got Bev helping you now..no one is better! I will keep your Wilbur in my thoughts.

  5. #5
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    when you take him for his ultrasound tomorrow request a full CBC to rule out renal failure. Has he fallen recently? Accidentally bumped his stomach somehow? A trauma to the urinary system could be causing the protein to show in the urine. This happens because the injured organ is bruised and leaking blood into the urine, once the trauma is healed the bleeding stops and the protein goes away.

    Has the doctor ruled out e-coli? It's a pretty common infection in puppies, especially if the mother was exposed.

    He may need hospitalization and IV antibiotics for that infection. Has the doctor put him on any type of diuretic to help him flush out his system? Regular parsley works great for that if you can stick half a tsp in with his meals. It is also a great anti inflammatory so it will help heal any internal trauma that could be causing the bleeding.

    Sorry, I hit submit before I finished my thought

    You might want to add a cranberry supplement to his diet as well as a probiotic and fruit treats high in vitamin C and A.
    Excellent advice!! I wanted to add make sure you give lots and lots of fluids.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  6. #6
    .........
    Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    2,981
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default Re: UTI in 15wk old puppy that wont go away

    i think you got all the advice you need for now I just wanted to say good luck

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilbur
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: UTI in 15wk old puppy that wont go away

    Finally able to pick up Wilbur! Ultrasound waved no red flags other than sediment was found in his bladder. Dr. says could be caused from chronic infection or high calcium diet (breeder used diamond puppy, we continued) blood work looked normal so we are sending another culture to once again try antibiotic. Discussing diet change at next visit when culture returns. Dr also suggest as last resort surgery to flush the bladder to remove sediment, hoping this wont be needed. So glad I stumbled on this site!

  8. #8
    Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ChrisRN's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Muskegon, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    4,779
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    1454
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: UTI in 15wk old puppy that wont go away

    I sure hope Wilbur is feeling better soon! Welcome to the site!




    "Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."




  9. #9
    Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    JeannieCO's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Conifer, Colorado
    Posts
    13,413
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)
    620

    Default Re: UTI in 15wk old puppy that wont go away

    I just wanted to stop in and say I hope Wilbur gets better soon.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

  10. #10
    My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Twice's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bev
    Location
    Woodbridge Township, NJ
    Posts
    2,711
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: UTI in 15wk old puppy that wont go away

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonds View Post
    Finally able to pick up Wilbur! Ultrasound waved no red flags other than sediment was found in his bladder. Dr. says could be caused from chronic infection or high calcium diet (breeder used diamond puppy, we continued) blood work looked normal so we are sending another culture to once again try antibiotic. Discussing diet change at next visit when culture returns. Dr also suggest as last resort surgery to flush the bladder to remove sediment, hoping this wont be needed. So glad I stumbled on this site!

    That's great news!! Are they culturing for the e-coli UTI? That one is often overlooked and can be antibiotic resistant. In the meantime you can try to flush the bladder yourself by forcing fluids. Give him juices if he is sick of water. I've never known an animal to turn their nose up at natural apple or cranberry juice.

    Please keep us posted!

    For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012


    Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •