UTI in 15wk old puppy that wont go away

Hammonds

Apr 30, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilbur
We brought our 8wk old English bulldog home and within days I noticed he needed to urinate often and seemed to strain to pee. At his first check up he tested positive for bacteria and blood in his urine, he was given Clavamox. At recheck 14 days later the infection remainded and he was given Cephalexin while we waited the baterial culture. The culture returned with enterococcus bacteria and his meds where changed to Amoxiciliian . At recheck today the infection remains and his urine tested high for proteins. We have already done a X-ray to check for kidney stones which was negative. Scheduled for a ultra sound tomorrow. Has anyone else had a stubborn UTI or know of something else that could be causing this infection. Frustrated that my baby has been sick for 5wks.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Awee honey, first welcome to the site and I'm going to tag someone with urinary exp. [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
We brought our 8wk old English bulldog home and within days I noticed he needed to urinate often and seemed to strain to pee. At his first check up he tested positive for bacteria and blood in his urine, he was given Clavamox. At recheck 14 days later the infection remainded and he was given Cephalexin while we waited the baterial culture. The culture returned with enterococcus bacteria and his meds where changed to Amoxiciliian . At recheck today the infection remains and his urine tested high for proteins. We have already done a X-ray to check for kidney stones which was negative. Scheduled for a ultra sound tomorrow. Has anyone else had a stubborn UTI or know of something else that could be causing this infection. Frustrated that my baby has been sick for 5wks.

when you take him for his ultrasound tomorrow request a full CBC to rule out renal failure. Has he fallen recently? Accidentally bumped his stomach somehow? A trauma to the urinary system could be causing the protein to show in the urine. This happens because the injured organ is bruised and leaking blood into the urine, once the trauma is healed the bleeding stops and the protein goes away.

Has the doctor ruled out e-coli? It's a pretty common infection in puppies, especially if the mother was exposed.

He may need hospitalization and IV antibiotics for that infection. Has the doctor put him on any type of diuretic to help him flush out his system? Regular parsley works great for that if you can stick half a tsp in with his meals. It is also a great anti inflammatory so it will help heal any internal trauma that could be causing the bleeding.

Sorry, I hit submit before I finished my thought :)

You might want to add a cranberry supplement to his diet as well as a probiotic and fruit treats high in vitamin C and A.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
when you take him for his ultrasound tomorrow request a full CBC to rule out renal failure. Has he fallen recently? Accidentally bumped his stomach somehow? A trauma to the urinary system could be causing the protein to show in the urine. This happens because the injured organ is bruised and leaking blood into the urine, once the trauma is healed the bleeding stops and the protein goes away.

Has the doctor ruled out e-coli? It's a pretty common infection in puppies, especially if the mother was exposed.

He may need hospitalization and IV antibiotics for that infection. Has the doctor put him on any type of diuretic to help him flush out his system? Regular parsley works great for that if you can stick half a tsp in with his meals. It is also a great anti inflammatory so it will help heal any internal trauma that could be causing the bleeding.

Sorry, I hit submit before I finished my thought :)

You might want to add a cranberry supplement to his diet as well as a probiotic and fruit treats high in vitamin C and A.

Excellent advice!! :goodpost: I wanted to add make sure you give lots and lots of fluids.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OP
H

Hammonds

Apr 30, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilbur
Finally able to pick up Wilbur! Ultrasound waved no red flags other than sediment was found in his bladder. Dr. says could be caused from chronic infection or high calcium diet (breeder used diamond puppy, we continued) blood work looked normal so we are sending another culture to once again try antibiotic. Discussing diet change at next visit when culture returns. Dr also suggest as last resort surgery to flush the bladder to remove sediment, hoping this wont be needed. So glad I stumbled on this site!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Finally able to pick up Wilbur! Ultrasound waved no red flags other than sediment was found in his bladder. Dr. says could be caused from chronic infection or high calcium diet (breeder used diamond puppy, we continued) blood work looked normal so we are sending another culture to once again try antibiotic. Discussing diet change at next visit when culture returns. Dr also suggest as last resort surgery to flush the bladder to remove sediment, hoping this wont be needed. So glad I stumbled on this site!

That's great news!! Are they culturing for the e-coli UTI? That one is often overlooked and can be antibiotic resistant. In the meantime you can try to flush the bladder yourself by forcing fluids. Give him juices if he is sick of water. I've never known an animal to turn their nose up at natural apple or cranberry juice.

Please keep us posted!

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.