what information to put on dog tags

BUTTERS

Apr 10, 2013
Roseville, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Butters
So im looking to get my new guy a dog tag, but not sure what I should put on it. Some people say put a name, some say dont. Some say address, some say they dont want strangers coming. I know my cell phone is a must. What do you guys put on your dog tags?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Name and phone number. That's it. The tag is simply something that identifies the dog and a contact info in case the dog is lost. Bullie is also microchipped so in her tag is her name, my phone number, and the word "MICROCHIPPED" on it.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
His name on the front, then our home number, my cell # and my husbands cell #.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I agree with everyone. My boxer was chipped and had tags on when she ran away...and then somehow got her collar off, so the tags did me no good.
I put all of the information listed above and more. I put her vet information as well as my name/# and Linnet's #. Great thread! Hopefully will help others with this decision who might not have ever thought of it.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Name and phone number. That's it. The tag is simply something that identifies the dog and a contact info in case the dog is lost. Bullie is also microchipped so in her tag is her name, my phone number, and the word "MICROCHIPPED" on it.

Thats so smart to put Microchipped on the tag! I never thought of that. Thanks for the great tip :yes:

OP
BUTTERS

BUTTERS

Apr 10, 2013
Roseville, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Butters
i found this to be helpful. http://www.gundogsupply.com/important-i-d--tag-information.html. He proves some really good points about not putting the dogs name since it would be easy for a thief to act like its owner since the dog would respond to him. I think my tag will be something like 1. Needs daily Meds 2.My name 3. City, state 4. my name 5. my cell #. I will definitely get the dog microchipped. I saw really cool dog tags that are actually usb dongles and you can put a lot of information about the dog in it. Pretty cool!

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
We use the tags made by PetHub. They've got a design on one side and a QR Barcode on the other. You scan the barcode with a smart phone and it takes you to their site where you can add information such as address, name, contact info, rabies #, microchiped information, medical needs, names of medicine, etc. We really like it as an alternative to a tag that only allows for a few lines of information.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
I made my own at the engraving kiosk at PetSmart. The machine is so cool and inexpensive (good for other stuff as well, like luggage tags) anyway... You can put a lot of info on them. I put "If Found Call IMMEDIATELY cell number" I also put "microchipped", "special needs" and "spayed" for my female. I put special needs as my dogs are soooo cute, the finder would most likely want to keep them :) so I wanted to discourage that and give idea that they cost $$$ in vet / meds. Also I didnt but, should have put on the other side "I will go to the ends of the earth and never stop til I find my dog, so you may as well return her now !!).

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
[MENTION=3990]gracoliv[/MENTION] that's a really good idea to say they are fixed and special needs on their tags, I think I will be making a trip this weekend to Petsmart to make 3 new tags for my bullies! Right now I have their name, my cell, address, and my name on their tags but I think I like the idea of not having their names on it!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bully name and cell number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Usually the less you have..the bigger the print can be. That helps if someone tries reading the tags! We put name on one side..phone number on back..WITH area code! I can't tell you how many lost dogs have found us..they have tags but no area code! So maddening!!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I was thinking for Rocky, to put My #, Microchipped, and "Reward" to provoke a call, and have seriously given consideration to a GPS Tracking collar. Company called tracker, although I haven't heard much about them, I'd like to know more. That's if he gets loose, however if stolen, I'm sure that will be the first thing to come off! :*(

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.